Another big DT coming to Tech

Techrod has a good point. First though, I welcome the kid in and am glad he chose Georgia Tech!!

But when trying to judge ability, the list of other schools that truly "offered" is important in "trying" to evaluate how good a player will be. Obviously, it is not exact, i.e. GT was the ONLY D-1 school to offer Jerry Mays a scholarship (we beat Furman and Western Carolina if memory serves) and he turned out to be a great one.

However, it is very typical for a kid to make a list of "Florida, Miami, Tennessee, USC, Michigan and Kentucky", when in reality the player is interested in the first 5, but only the last one will actually offer a scholarship or has interest in him. And I believe that is Techrod's point. Without seeing any of these players play in person, that is about the only thing one can go by.

RB, what makes it even tougher is that unless you have very good knowledge of the recruiting process, you don't know what position the other schools who have offered may have recruited the kid for.

QB's can be offered for DB only, linemen for Guard vs DT, etc.

But you are 100% correct - most of us have never seen these kids play a down (like most of the recruiting services), and so we just have to hope the coaches make the right choices.

But am I more excited about a prospect when he is offered by F$U/Tenn/UGA/ND/Aub/Mich etc than, say Wake, Duke, and Rutgers - sure, that's only natural.

Ramblin and Rod I agree to a certain extent but believe the most important part is the ability of the coaches to evaluate tallent and that is something that Chan has a very good reputation of doing and I believe he will get the job done when it comes to recruiting.

Fan Of Bobby Dodd, do you think maybe we haven't got a higher quality player to offer, because all the others at his position have turned us down? I am still hoping we here something more encouraging so I can get MORE excited.

'rod, stop being so pathetic already.....or......just go ahead and put the barrel in your mouth and put yourself out of your misery!

*sheesh*

Buzz Fan, I hope slip on your own drool and I'm quite sure you all for mediocroty.

yes techrod .. if we don't display even a slight hint of negativity on this board .. we are all accepting mediocrity .. of course

Originally posted by techrod:
Fan Of Bobby Dodd, do you think maybe we haven't got a higher quality player to offer, because all the others at his position have turned us down? I am still hoping we here something more encouraging so I can get MORE excited.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NO I believe we are offering to the highter quality players because our coach/ coaches know who the better ones are. Like I said coach Gailey knows what he is doing in evaluating players. He has earne the reputation by his peers for being able to do so for many years in the pros where it is criticle.

Originally posted by gtfan1147:
At this point, I'll take any recruit Chan can get to commit.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I will to because I believe he will select the best fot GT.

This thread is unbelievable... damn, give the guy a chance to play ball before you start the comdemnation... geez...

Sounds to me like we are FINALLY recruiting some linemen... not LB's and trying to grow lineman... I am thankful he made Tech his choice, and hope he has an All American future...

There is no knocking the kid, but it is a good indication of where a recruit ranks by who offers not who recruits. A letter to a kid can costitute recruiting. I would like to see us going against FSU, NCST and UGA for the majority of our recruits. The secret to our program will always be the finding of diamonds in the rough. Lets hope that Gailey can coach them to be sparkling.

Jacketguy, You are right about getting a dl with size and not having to grow one into the position. Maybe he is what a lot of you crack him up to be. Maybe he will be first team all state. Maybe Miami was fixing to offer. I have not stated he can't play! I am stating he is what you would call a sleeper. If people want to keep up with recruiting then the only good indication is their real offer sheet. Not once have I said this was a bad pick up, but you don't want to have take too many chances that nobody else was right in taking these kind of pick ups. Remember I said no more than about 6 or 7 out of 25.

On the issue of the importance of OFFERS that a recruit receives, and only on that issue, I must say techrod is right on the money. Forget the mags and rating services and even the business of our coaches always know best. With the 85 limit, the majors just can't afford to make many mistakes and when a kid gets a couple of offers from major programs the odds are very high that he has the raw talent to contribute. Whether or not he does depends on many many variables. However, among those variables a coach can not change or coach up is speed,height,vision, and overall athleticism. This is chiefly why Vandy has lost to UT the last upteen years. THWG

If you people won't listen to me then please listen to Goldz. Fifty years ago the Bear could have taken a class full of sleepers and won with them, but NO one can now. GoldZ makes more sense of it than I have so listen to that post.

Can someone summarize what the helle this thread is about?

Honestly, I just started reading it. I got a headache trying to figure out what anyone was saying, and I gave up.

We got a good recruit. Is there somethign to argue about that?

Techrod...

Nobody can know... not even Rivals, etc... these recruiting services are more like the "yellow pages" for football kids... there is a thread that took place a few weeks ago that mentioned how many of the All Americans were ranked by the recruiting services... less than half the kids on there were ranked coming out of college.... and I would check into how their "rankings" work... it might surprise you...

I will use this as my guage... the coaches know what and who they are looking for better than me... we have spent all season long complaining about getting beat on the line... I hope to see this guy have a great career at Tech...

Back