Another Great CPJ Quote

Many a brilliant suggestion has been made by an outsider. Assuming that 'someone that likes to look at buildings' is so inferior to you as to have no possibility of ever having a worthwile thought you have not thought of is the height if ignorant arrogance.

Second, it is also ignorant arrogance to assume that 'fans' are all 'people who like to look at football'. Fridgemover is a "fan" who played in SuperBowls under a kinda decent coaching staff. We have "fans" on here who have run variants of PJ's offense as coaches nearly as long as he has.

When he loses zero games I'll buy that he's thought of everything. Until then I suggest being a lot more open and slightly more humble.
NO good idea has ever come from fans.

NO good idea has ever come from fans.

pretty much.

Add to the fact that Mike Smith and Bill Belichick love talking to CPJ about X's and O's and I'd much rather have CPJ ignore ALL incoming email/suggestions from fans.

It's actually a HUGE waste of his time, imo. That's why I'll never email him.

If you want results, leave him the F alone.

Crew it isn't anywhere close to project manager status. It's more like a physicist taking suggestions from a 3rd grader.
This guy made this offense, and has been coaching for 30 years. Most of our fans have never even PLAYED football. I would be pissed if he wasted his time on what most of us think is wrong.
He does this for a living. I doubt anything you or I can think of, hasn't been thought of by PJ long before us.

Crew it isn't anywhere close to project manager status. It's more like a physicist taking suggestions from a 3rd grader.
This guy made this offense, and has been coaching for 30 years. Most of our fans have never even PLAYED football. I would be pissed if he wasted his time on what most of us think is wrong.
He does this for a living. I doubt anything you or I can think of, hasn't been thought of by PJ long before us.

What does most of our fans have to do with it? What matters is the concept that he is smarter than 100% of our fans put together. All of our fans put together will never have a suggestion that he hasn't thought of. Thats what the quote says.

An interesting observation was posted earlier with a suggestion from a former player. So we all aren't housewives with a copy of Madden for the x box. Collectively the fanbase has thousands of years of playing and coaching experience including more than a little in the NFL.

I didn't make the blanket statement that it never occurred. You did and it is reasonable to ask you to defend the statement IMHO.

This whole thread is intellectual masturbation at its finest...

You said earlier on that searching for a good idea from fans would be like searching for a needle in a haystack... I would personally rather have my coach coaching rather than searching for a needle in a haystack. In all likelihood, he would only get asinine comments like "you should pitch it more" or "Coach Groh should teach the defense to be better against the run" anyway.

You're reading WAAAY too far into his answer. I think that it was a curt answer (likely due to frustration following a loss) to a BS question, frankly, and it should just be left at that.

I've been there. There is a certain point with some complex systems where an outsider isn't going to be able to observe anything useful at all, nevermind something innovative. Sometimes the reason it appears something is being done in a less than optimal fashion is due to other complexities that have to be accounted for. If you don't have the whole picture very clearly, it is difficult to contribute. I'm 100% sure that CPJ was addressing the average fan when he said that anyway. If somebody with some football prowess wanted to talk X's and O's with him, he'd listen. He himself has said he talked nuts and bolts with several other coaches, including our current DC, some NFL guys, etc.

Part of the problem is that all of the "better" plays we would think up are better not just because they are smart, but they are also executed perfectly. I have seen many a time where CPJ called the correct play, but it wasn't executed. Someone missed a block, someone dropped a pass. How do your adjustments work out when a tackle misses a block? or when a wide-out drops a pass 50 yards out, past the secondary?

Part of the problem is that all of the "better" plays we would think up are better not just because they are smart, but they are also executed perfectly. I have seen many a time where CPJ called the correct play, but it wasn't executed. Someone missed a block, someone dropped a pass. How do your adjustments work out when a tackle misses a block? or when a wide-out drops a pass 50 yards out, past the secondary?

I've never made a game plan for a football game, but in general there's no scheme that's going to turn failure into success. I don't think, based on the way we've seen CPJ call plays, that he modifies his plans because his guys aren't executing them correctly. If the play is there, he's going to call it and by gosh you're gonna get it right eventually.

I've never made a game plan for a football game, but in general there's no scheme that's going to turn failure into success. I don't think, based on the way we've seen CPJ call plays, that he modifies his plans because his guys aren't executing them correctly. If the play is there, he's going to call it and by gosh you're gonna get it right eventually.

Yes and no. If CPJ think's we can run a play but bonehead it up once, he'll call it again. But if he thinks that our chance of success with a play is low, he'll call a different play. I don't think he called as many pass plays last year as he would have if he thought we were likely to complete them.

I can think of at least twice where we've borked up a play, and CPJ has sent a guy in telling them to run the same damn play but get it right this time, and it's gone for a TD. Once was 08 Jaybo on 4th vs Miss State, another was the Orwin Smith counter for a TD this year vs NC State. I'm sure there are other examples.

Back