Any official take on using Lee & Thomas together?

At this point, I think it's irrelevant who can run the option better. After 5 years of this offense, I know we will always be able to put up points on the lower and mid level teams. We are never going 2-10 under PJ. However, our offense becomes one dimensional against bigger D Lines, and while it's harder for any team to score against good defenses, our limitations become depressingly obvious.

As long as he can handle the option well enough, we need the best passer on the roster to be our starter. Unless we start getting Bama type O lines, The passing game is what will make our option fly against better teams. It sucks setting the safeties line up as linebackers against us, knowing we can't make them pay. I know we will put up huge points against Duke and Wake Forest regardless of who our QB is. We need more than that now.

At this point, I think it's irrelevant who can run the option better. After 5 years of this offense, I know we will always be able to put up points on the lower and mid level teams. We are never going 2-10 under PJ. However, our offense becomes one dimensional against bigger D Lines, and while it's harder for any team to score against good defenses, our limitations become depressingly obvious.

As long as he can handle the option well enough, we need the best passer on the roster to be our starter. Unless we start getting Bama type O lines, The passing game is what will make our option fly against better teams. It sucks setting the safeties line up as linebackers against us, knowing we can't make them pay. I know we will put up huge points against Duke and Wake Forest regardless of who our QB is. We need more than that now.

THIS! My patience has worn pretty thin waiting for a QB who can honestly make defenses pay for selling out on not only the run, but also the QB read. With Tevin, past defenses have been more than happy to let Tevin beat them (by air or by land). I feel pretty confident that Vad and JT are both capable in that respect. Now we just need A-Backs and WRs to catch the freaking ball.

Come to think of it, the few passes that Tevin threw that were catchable were never in a placement that would allow the receiver to catch in stride... That ability, even if it's just a 10 yard pass, will result in big plays every time.

I think a significant differentiator between Vad and JT will be the turnover situation.

actually it is coming down to big play ability not just as an individual making the play...but reading the play correctly to find the right individual. Regarding individuals...Justin is potent in the TO when he gets numbers on the outside and can keep the ball.
But decisioning is the critical piece...
For instance, one thing Vad struggled with last year was finding wide open receivers. He may hit a guy in double coverage for a 40 yard pass...but another guy was running by himself for an 70 yard TD if he hit him. Against teams like FSU, Miami, UGA, Clemson we are not going to be able to trade plays like that because it is harder for us to sustain long drives...we need the big play score...much like we did to Clemson in 2009 ACC Championship and FSU earlier that year. it is also how we beat UGA in 2008...big plays for TD's. This goes the same for the running play....giving the BB the ball when you would have had a numbers advantage on the outside for a long play. The decisioning will be a critical factor as we move through the season.

I guess we'll never know, but I have to disagree with that one. I think if Vad was given more playing time early on, he could have easily taken over the starting job.

Don't disagree with that. Just don't think you give a frosh QB his first game experience in Blacksburg. Could do more damage than good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't disagree with that. Just don't think you give a frosh QB his first game experience in Blacksburg. Could do more damage than good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just rewatched the Sun Bowl. After coming in and looking great, Vad had consecutive turnovers and then looked out of sync on his first possession of the second half. Despite some great plays, he was not really ready even late in the season to be the starter. And that was after lots of playing time. Who knows where he would have gotten with a bunch of starts, but I think TW was the right guy last year.

Would love to see JT and Vad together bouncing the offense back and forth between triple option and shotgun read option (where Vad is very very good).

Would love to see JT and Vad together bouncing the offense back and forth between triple option and shotgun read option (where Vad is very very good).
Justin is very good at shotgun read option also...that is what he ran for multiple years in high school also.

This is going to be interesting. Both will play...Vad will get first shot as he has an extra year...and then the hottest hand will continue to play. Its pretty simple.

I think a significant differentiator between Vad and JT will be the turnover situation.

Vad threw 56 passes last year - 3 of them were picked off. That's an INT per 19 attempts. Among the 100 starting QBs last year, that's worse than 94 of them.

TW threw an INT per 33 passes if you were wondering.

I'm not extrapolating that Vad will extend that into this year but we can't afford an INT/ATT ratio of 1 in 19. I can't find any data on how many fumbles Vad committed last year and obviously I have zip on JT but I'm just pointing out that if there is any one thing that will get you a seat on the bench in this offense, its too many turnovers. Ball security is underrated when discussing which QB sees the field more.

This. Turn it over, and you'll be picking splinters out of your @$$ ...

Worst way to do it, IMO

The only way to see how they do in games is to play them. If it was just off practice Vad may would be #2...but he says he is a game-day player.

I am not saying they will do this all season...but in the beginning they will both play a lot and see who rises to the top.

The challenge is due to scheduling there is not much time...our post-season fate is decided by game 5 with the divisional games vs UNC, VT, and Miami all back to back.

This is a good problem to have...by far the best grouping of QB's (top 3) we have had a GT in a long time.

The only way to see how they do in games is to play them. If it was just off practice Vad may would be #2...but he says he is a game-day player.

I am not saying they will do this all season...but in the beginning they will both play a lot and see who rises to the top.

The challenge is due to scheduling there is not much time...our post-season fate is decided by game 5 with the divisional games vs UNC, VT, and Miami all back to back.

This is a good problem to have...by far the best grouping of QB's (top 3) we have had a GT in a long time.

So you're telling me just based off practice JT should start but Vad has CPJ convinced that he will do better in the games than he has shown in the spring or summer? That is pretty interesting and pretty hard to believe.

So you're telling me just based off practice JT should start but Vad has CPJ convinced that he will do better in the games than he has shown in the spring or summer? That is pretty interesting and pretty hard to believe.

Your response is too extreme.

Vad often times last year outperformed his practice reps in games....then at times (like SoCal) he made those same mistakes. Vad is the personality type of a gamer...we wills see.

I am not going to quote people because I am not an idiot...but Justin ha more than impressed in running, passing, and decisioning. We have two excellent options at QB and a good back-up in Byerly.

Lets not read too much into this.

Yeah, repeating last year's carousel sounds pretty öööö horrifying. In hockey, you can't have two starting goalies, in basketball, you can't have two alpha dog scorers on the same team, and in football you can't have two starting quarterbacks. If Vad is the starter, then JT should be getting garbage time and trick plays. If Johnson thinks Thomas is better, fine, declare him starter, and make sure everyone knows it. We need some öööö leadership on this team, and our quarterback needs to provide it.

Also, the main reason Vad turned the ball over last year was because he was pressing to hard to try to impress. The pick six against USC was a prime example of him trying to force an NFL throw. We need him to be relaxed and let him play naturally, not for his job on every possession. Same for Thomas or Byerly if the need comes.

Back