Any roster changes?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Has anyone quit the team following the coaching change? Is anyone refusing to play? I’m interested in what personnel differences were the result of moves the coaches made by choice v those made by necessity.

I highly doubt a player would be that committed to Collins, but I guess stranger things have happened. Good question.

I was out last night and didn't see the game. Smith out? Injured? Tumble down the depth chart?

I was wondering about Dontae. I wasn’t sure if he got hurt or what, but the stats I’m looking at said he got one carry. Now, Hall went off last night (mostly in the 4th quarter) so I certainly don’t have an issue with him getting so many carries, just surprised I didn’t see more of Dontae.

I highly doubt a player would be that committed to Collins, but I guess stranger things have happened. Good question.
Remember that we are in the free transfer world and I think last night was the one to shut it down for the year to save eligibility. Could be wrong about that though.

Believe if a player quit before this game then he could use this year as a redshirt year. It's definitely possible.

From what I saw, Dontae got his first play late in the 1st (failed goal-to-go run) and then got in for a play or two at the end. Dunno if he was dinged or if he just slipped down the depth chart. Hall looked pretty good at times, although there were often no holes to run through.

JRjr

Coach said in the post-game interview that Hall gave us the best chance against the style/ traits of the Pitt D. Said we knew it would be a long game- had to "ride the defense" as they're the fastest group on the field...play the clock and field position....and stay in the game. Hall did that and started pounding them. Noted that 10-yrd first down run when they took the whole o-line team push approach to move the pile the whole way.

Coach said in the post-game interview that Hall gave us the best chance against the style/ traits of the Pitt D. Said we knew it would be a long game- had to "ride the defense" as they're the fastest group on the field...play the clock and field position....and stay in the game. Hall did that and started pounding them. Noted that 10-yrd first down run when they took the whole o-line team push approach to move the pile the whole way.
That play was awesome. It showed toughness we haven’t seen in 3.5 years.

I don’t know if that is true, but certainly Hall gave 110% last night. Dude was filthy by the end of the night. Great effort and it paid off late when he started busting the long runs.

yeah I don't think effort is lacking in either player but Smith doesn't seem to break as many tackles at the LOS as Hall does...or as Hall did last night anyway.

Dontae is a good back. Last night, we finally saw how good Hall can be. I think we have three good, experienced backs, and maybe the coaches' take on how their differences will help the team against a particular opponent are taking priority.

Regarding Smith, I have no idea if this is true or not, but I saw a post, or got a message last night that Dontae had tweeted some very angry comments about Collins being fired during the week. If he did indeed do that, maybe that was why he was only used sparingly and really didn't do anything much when he was in. I sure hope he gets over it and plays like the back he is capable of being. If anyone uses Twitter regularly, maybe you can do a search and see if you can find any such comments

Smith made one tweet and it was about the timing. Like usual social media GT fans throw players under the bus at the drop of a hat.

Smith is the best back on the team and pretty sure statically he was better then the other 2 combined going into the game. Not sure what games you have watched but Smith is the only back that I see breaking tackles to get extra yards. I have no issues with Hall getting snaps and he had some but big runs late in the game, however McDuffie shouldn’t see the field unless he’s on special teams.

Back