Any significance

Actually, the "loaned" dark jerseys were the (black? blue?) game ones Coach Dodd had GT wear at LSU....

That game was better known for the debut of Dean Dull's little project, the Ramblin' Wreck.

ADDED: IIRC, that '60 or '61 game was the last time we played Rice til the 1972 36-36 shootout when Eddie McAshan threw 5 TD passes to go with his 5 INTs. I was sitting next to Jerry Priestley that day in 1972 and he said he'd hoped he never saw his INT record tied, but it had to be that day. Rhino had a long punt return TD and Jim Owings and Jim Robinson, when they had a chance to catch the ball, played big parts in one helluva last second finish. That '72 Rice team had one of the top 5 or 10 passing attacks nationally and though we should have won it, were happy to get the tie at the end.

Kayso, I used to work with an old fart who went to GT back during the Korean War (or some war, who knows) and apparently Rice came to play at GT back then.

Well they only brought white jerseys, because they presumed white meant away, without realizing we wear home whites. So instead of wearing yellow, we gave them a bunch of black practice jerseys to play in. The student cheer for the game was this:

"What comes out of a Chinaman's ass?"
"RICE! RICE!"
"RICE! RICE!"

Different times.

Actually, the "loaned" dark jerseys were the (black? blue?) game ones Coach Dodd had GT wear at LSU....

That game was better known for the debut of Dean Dull's little project, the Ramblin' Wreck.

ADDED: IIRC, that '60 or '61 game was the last time we played Rice til the 1972 36-36 shootout when Eddie McAshan threw 5 TD passes to go with his 5 INTs. I was sitting next to Jerry Priestley that day in 1972 and he said he'd hoped he never saw his INT record tied, but it had to be that day. Rhino had a long punt return TD and Jim Owings and Jim Robinson, when they had a chance to catch the ball, played big parts in one helluva last second finish. That '72 Rice team had one of the top 5 or 10 passing attacks nationally and though we should have won it, were happy to get the tie at the end.

Rice had one of the best LBs I ever saw in college - Rodrigo Barnes.

He could flat out fly and knock the crap out of people.

You can't mention Rice football without the 1954 Cotton Bowl. You know, the one where the Alabama player came off the bench to make a sideline tackle, then tried to hide.

CPJ should try this vs. VPI for comedic effect in Beamer's post-game presser.

[y]eSteCSinjTs[/y]

"RICE! RICE!"
"RICE! RICE!"

Three points:

1. Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclamenture.
2. The Chinaman is not the issue.
3. Congrats to the Johnson family; it is a big accomplishment to have a familly member accepted into a top flight university. Rice is an exceptional, and well-rounded, school. I hope that CPJ can pay the tuition with bonus money from beating U[sic]GA and winning the orange bowl this year.

That said, as far as cheers, during our next outing with BYU I hope we chant "Nail the virgins" when BYU has possession.

It's definitely significant for her. Rice is an excellent school with about a 20% acceptance factor for qualified applications. Congratulations to her.

+1 Rice is an outstanding school and research institution. Their SA are STUDENT athletes. They don't seem to compromise entrance requirements although I am sure there are more qualified as students that get bumped because of the athlete portion of the "rounded" applicant.

Saw Navy play Rice 5 years ago and less attended than GT Saturday practices. Baseball games are well attended. It is a great school, great campus, but hot as hell August to mid October. Chances to compete for a NC zero to none. Rice is not in CPJ future. He came to Tech to be in the top 10. He is not leaving.

CPJ's daughter attends Westminster...she is very smart! I believe she wants to be a journalist from what I have been told. Congratulations and best of luck to her.

CPJ's daughter ... wants to be a journalist from what I have been told.

Seeing as how there are no educational options for intelligent, aspiring journalists in Georgia, going to Rice makes perfect sense.

Rice? No scandal. Now UGA on the other hand, and we have a problem.

Back