Anybody heard

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
What we won over the latter years was with a gimmick offense, we could get by with lesser talent, we're now going to be playing "big boy" FB with that same talent, so many don't seem to understand any of that. Hell, I want to win everything, but I'm also a realist, so many are going to get down on the program when we don't have a good season over the next 2 years, man I hope I'm wrong and we go to the NC playoffs.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
What we won over the latter years was with a gimmick offense, we could get by with lesser talent, we're now going to be playing "big boy" FB with that same talent, so many don't seem to understand any of that. Hell, I want to win everything, but I'm also a realist, so many are going to get down on the program when we don't have a good season over the next 2 years, man I hope I'm wrong and we go to the NC playoffs.
“We have no talent.” I remember the folks in Athens saying the same thing a few years ago. We had and have talent at every position. What we had was a stubborn coach that went with the lesser-talented QB the last two years, which made us look worse than we are on offense. We also had a bunch of talented kids on defense (except the DL, I’ll grant you), that were switching schemes and had been previously poorly coached.

The talent is there in 2019 to win 6-8 games (and look better doing it).

gte490v

Dodd-Like
“We have no talent.” I remember the folks in Athens saying the same thing a few years ago. We had and have talent at every position. What we had was a stubborn coach that went with the lesser-talented QB the last two years, which made us look worse than we are on offense. We also had a bunch of talented kids on defense (except the DL, I’ll grant you), that were switching schemes and had been previously poorly coached.

The talent is there in 2019 to win 6-8 games (and look better doing it).
This. The talent is here, the depth not-so-much. I am looking for player development to improve. I am looking for players to be used in different ways to balance snaps so we have starters with gas in the tank in the 4th quarter.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
This. The talent is here, the depth not-so-much. I am looking for player development to improve. I am looking for players to be used in different ways to balance snaps so we have starters with gas in the tank in the 4th quarter.
I was thinking the other day that we are gonna have to jump on teams like Clemson and get them on their heels early.

Our depth should be as good or better than 6 or 7 of the teams we play. I'm really excited about the QB position. We seem to have some good arms there, much better than Taylor Bennett, AJ Suggs, and several we had during Chan. The 2002 or 2003, whatever year it was, home loss to Wake Forest was some of the worst play calling and QB play I have ever seen. We then repeated it in 2006 against Wake.

CGC will right this ship

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

The more I see from Patenaude, the more I think he is exactly the kind of teacher our QBs need. Other notable things in this video: You can see Jordan Yates watching practice in the background. Jaylend Ratliffe also makes an appearance, so he is still involved with the team. I love these clips.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
IMO, the biggest impact you'll see this year will be based on the increased size and strength of our guys. CPJ wanted our guys lighter so they could get to the next level but if you've looked at some of the before/after photos of guys after just a couple of months with Coach Caralla, the change in bodies is dramatic.

Oh yeah...and we'll also throw the ball a bit this year in a pass pattern other than "everybody go long".

Techbert

Dodd-Like

The more I see from Patenaude, the more I think he is exactly the kind of teacher our QBs need. Other notable things in this video: You can see Jordan Yates watching practice in the background. Jaylend Ratliffe also makes an appearance, so he is still involved with the team. I love these clips.
Graham is showing some leadership among the qb's, which is sometimes like being the alpha in a room full of alphas.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
IMO, the biggest impact you'll see this year will be based on the increased size and strength of our guys. CPJ wanted our guys lighter so they could get to the next level but if you've looked at some of the before/after photos of guys after just a couple of months with Coach Caralla, the change in bodies is dramatic.

Oh yeah...and we'll also throw the ball a bit this year in a pass pattern other than "everybody go long".
I'll argue that being is top shape means increased size and strength AND getting to the next level. Diet and fitness are not the same thing.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Graham is showing some leadership among the qb's, which is sometimes like being the alpha in a room full of alphas.
The QB battle is about as open as I have seen. It is going to be pretty interesting. Yates is going to be pushing hard for an opportunity as soon as he is on campus, too. Maybe not as game 1 starter but at some point year one. Exciting stuff.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
So, what you are saying is you'd like the team to be coached?

beej67

new around here
One thing's for sure. Patenaude has said multiple times that his system works around the shotgun zone read. We should, at a minimum, absolutely have the personnel to run that play well. Possibly better than anywhere else he's run it.