Anybody noticing the pattern?!!

Yes, you have me grinning, we've been worse for certain, but you have to admit - we can do, should do,....... a whole bunch better. Or we are that deficient in personnel on the field. Our defense did score today, and they played better than the offense - and just like last week, and just like the week before, the defense left the door open for the opponent to regroup, or take away our momentum and move down the field - down the middle / they can run it or pass it and we can't stop 'em - but we should.

The defense was the ONLY decent thing from Tech today. The "vaunted triple option" completely sucked. The special teams completely sucked but that was as expected. When is Johnson's contract up?

Yes, you have me grinning, we've been worse for certain, but you have to admit - we can do, should do,....... a whole bunch better. Or we are that deficient in personnel on the field. Our defense did score today, and they played better than the offense - and just like last week, and just like the week before, the defense left the door open for the opponent to regroup, or take away our momentum and move down the field - down the middle / they can run it or pass it and we can't stop 'em - but we should.

The offense and special teams are the one who left the door open Bozo the Defense was fine

Agree with all you said.

The pattern I'm noticing is the "Goon Squad" probably bit off more than they could collectively chew with all that smack talk pre-season.

That and Tevin looks like Reggie.

Some one needs to post that clip where the guy says, "you are so dumb" from the hide your kids video here.

cpj is still getting schemed on offense and the pattern I see is that he hasn't been able to figure out how to counter.

Don't pin this on the coach. He was right in last week's call in show. He sees stuff that should be working out there. The problem is... our players just suck. I hate to say it, but a lot of those guys are just weak sauce. Coach will never blame them; fans would have his head in a heartbeat. But as a fan, I can say it. I love CPJ. He is a brilliant strategist, but if your players can't execute, it just doesn't matter.

The Defense Sucks - Al Groh sucked as the coach at Virginia and he still sucks here. Anytime, fifteen yards across the middle is open for any offense playing us. He spreads them (us) out like they are Alabama / LSU / Wisconsin / Oregon quality players and they aren't that caliber of player. A better coached defense could compensate for the lack of player speed and depth - Al Groh, nice man, has cost us games with poor coaching since he's been here - and that's exactly why he isn't at Virginia anymore.

Our Offense is made for rhythm play, consistent execution - that was off today too, but our defense just sucks.
Hello!! the defense?? you gotta be joking, "7" ,7 points from this high powered offense, you're summation is pitiful!!!

Defense sucks, a good defense would have shut Miami out and scored seven points. Offense scored once, that's all we should need with a decent defense.

Ok, so the defense doesn't suck as bad as the offense. You can't really say they're good though. And what's this "keeping us in the game" crap? We were in this game? Really?

Don't pin this on the coach. He was right in last week's call in show. He sees stuff that should be working out there. The problem is... our players just suck. I hate to say it, but a lot of those guys are just weak sauce. Coach will never blame them; fans would have his head in a heartbeat. But as a fan, I can say it. I love CPJ. He is a brilliant strategist, but if your players can't execute, it just doesn't matter.

well it's the coaches fault for bringing in soft players isn't it? he can't stick to his navy type recruits, i had a feeling this would happen, and it is exactly what is happening

Seeing stuff that should work after the game doesn't really help. How many times do we try it? I'm sure if you heard his radio show last week, you also heard of his definition of insanity. If something continues to not work, there's a point he has to step back and look at his offense and his players as a whole.

It's easy for a coach/fans to say, "oh if our LG got to his block on the will linebacker like he was supposed to, that would've been a touchdown". The question then becomes, did the LG not get to his assignment because 1) he wasn't fast enough or he didn't know he was assigned to that guy? Or is it 2) because the defense is preventing him from getting to his assignment?

There's a huge difference between the two. What I'm seeing when I rewatch games and plays is that defensive linemen are continuously disrupting our offensive line blocking. There's a point a coach has to say, ok... this or that blocking scheme is hard to execute our guys and help the guys out. Not saying we need to start playing some other offense but the coaches needs to help our guys out.

I ranted about this in a separate thread:
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59112

The pattern the last three games is simple they are attacking the mesh and our goons aren't able to block it. Before then defenses were just trying to contain the big play and bringing in one of their safeties. The safeties are currently able to stay back and play their zones. It seems the mid is open on those screens but even then execution isn't great.

The Defense Sucks - Al Groh sucked as the coach at Virginia and he still sucks here. Anytime, fifteen yards across the middle is open for any offense playing us. He spreads them (us) out like they are Alabama / LSU / Wisconsin / Oregon quality players and they aren't that caliber of player. A better coached defense could compensate for the lack of player speed and depth - Al Groh, nice man, has cost us games with poor coaching since he's been here - and that's exactly why he isn't at Virginia anymore.

Our Offense is made for rhythm play, consistent execution - that was off today too, but our defense just sucks.

We gave up 265 total yards and 17 points. The two TD drives were of 40 yards because our offense/special teams put us in horrible ööööing situations. The defense isn't a problem, in fact, it has been the only highlight of the team over the last three weeks. 16, 24, and 17 points during that stretch with a defensive score mixed in, so their net is just below 17 per game. Groh is doing a fine job.

Eventually he will have to recruit someone worth a damn on offense. He has a lot riding on Vad.

Back