Anyone ever taken Amtrak to UVag for football?

89Tex

Varsity Lurker
I understand this can be done and always thought I would give it a try at some point.

There is just one train going north from Atlanta each day and I believe it leaves around 8 PM, so you would arrive the next morning. The full sleeper compartments are decent and have their own little bathroom. The train starts and stops a lot which is noisy sometimes, so you have to consider that you might not sleep well. It’s definitely an adventure if you like train travel, but it’s not for everyone.

There is just one train going north from Atlanta each day and I believe it leaves around 8 PM, so you would arrive the next morning. The full sleeper compartments are decent and have their own little bathroom. The train starts and stops a lot which is noisy sometimes, so you have to consider that you might not sleep well. It’s definitely an adventure if you like train travel, but it’s not for everyone.
Just checked a Friday-Monday trip. Leaves ATL at 11:30PM, arrives in Charlottesville a little before noon on Saturday. Leaves Charlottesville at around 8:30PM, arrives in ATL at 8:45AM. Under $250 for Coach.

Trains are a great way to travel. I took the train from DC to South Bend for our ND game - the East-West trains are much nicer than the North-South trains - not sure why that is.

I used to commute from DC to NYC once a week for about a year - I love Amtrak. Parking is easy and close and as long as you show up before the doors close, you are in. No lines, no annoying security, can set up laptop on a table with multiple outlets, move around, get food/coffee/adult beverages.

If you haven't done it, try it. I seriously doubt you will regret it. Its not the fastest way to go but its by far the easiest and most comfortable.

Having been a Southern Railway deadheader back in the 70's while an undergrad at GT travelled a lot between DC/Charlotte and Atlanta on and off for 5 years. The old Southern Crescent. Father hired a lot of co-ops at Southern Railway so that was the genesis of it all. Great times back then, and want to see how it is now. The departure times from Atlanta have changed ( used to be evening arriving DC early AM - Charlottesville a couple of hours earlier. Thanks for Clapper doing the ground work here. This brought back a great memory for the 1977 GT-Navy game in Annapolis ( we lost and a HS classmate played safety for George Welsh ) two years in a row playing in Annapolis for some strange reason. Met Kim King and Lewis Grizzard who was covering the game for the AJC in the club car for a night of bourbon tossing. These boys were professionals. That is all.

Came to say this. Train trips are cool but only if you have your own room.

Seems like it would be cool to do - I know a couple of people who have done it. You’re at the mercy of the timing of the game, though. IIRC, as long as you don’t get a noon or night kick, it works out to do an up and back trip. Uber probably makes it easier to get from the station to the stadium and back than it used be. I’d like to try it sometime.

JRjr

Having been a Southern Railway deadheader back in the 70's while an undergrad at GT travelled a lot between DC/Charlotte and Atlanta on and off for 5 years. The old Southern Crescent. Father hired a lot of co-ops at Southern Railway so that was the genesis of it all. Great times back then, and want to see how it is now. The departure times from Atlanta have changed ( used to be evening arriving DC early AM - Charlottesville a couple of hours earlier. Thanks for Clapper doing the ground work here. This brought back a great memory for the 1977 GT-Navy game in Annapolis ( we lost and a HS classmate played safety for George Welsh ) two years in a row playing in Annapolis for some strange reason. Met Kim King and Lewis Grizzard who was covering the game for the AJC in the club car for a night of bourbon tossing. These boys were professionals. That is all.
Drinking bourbon with Kim King and Lewis Grizzard on train. I bet that was an interesting night.

"Trains is hard job, stay strong" :bowrofl:

But yeah, plan on being late and don't prebook your sleeper. Instead once the train departs Atlanta, find your conductor and ask if you can upgrade to an unbooked sleeper. They never sell out because they're stupid expensive l. I've done this on the crescent a few times and it saved me around 350 bucks each time.

I did it maybe 15 years ago or so it was awesome took a Friday day train.. tailgated all day Saturday... Then Sunday night midnight train to Georgia . Watched NFL games at a bar right next to the train station and made it to work Monday morning

Yes. In 1990. Needless to say it was a great trip! Get the sleeper for sure

I'd ride if this dude was going and in my coach...otherwise I wouldn't take it to go see us play France.
trading places.gif

Back