Anyone ever taken Amtrak to UVag for football?

It's $900 for a round trip in the sleeper for two. Seems a bit steep.

I’m thinking about taking the train to ATL from Manassas, VA for our demolition of L’ville.

I understand this can be done and always thought I would give it a try at some point.

One of my sons and I did this once. It was pretty neat. We got to Charlottesville in the middle of the morning, saw the game, then took the train back to Atlanta. We had a sleeping car and ate in the dining car. We lost the game. It was when George O'Leary was our coach.

Just checked a Friday-Monday trip. Leaves ATL at 11:30PM, arrives in Charlottesville a little before noon on Saturday. Leaves Charlottesville at around 8:30PM, arrives in ATL at 8:45AM. Under $250 for Coach.
My sibling went to UVA - I took the train for a visit when I was in high school in 1986. Pretty sure it was the same schedule then.

railboat

bmO9cEa.jpg

1) take train to cuckoldsville
2) unleash historic, horrific beating
3) take train back home
4) forget to get off
5) ride forever happy forever

pepe-meme.gif
What dark, uncharted corner of the darkweb do you find this stuff? I stared at that thing for a couple minutes then looked at the clock and 3 hours and 37 minutes had passed.

What dark, uncharted corner of the darkweb do you find this stuff? I stared at that thing for a couple minutes then looked at the clock and 3 hours and 37 minutes had passed.
I make them by hand with cotton balls and hot glue. When I saw this thread yesterday morning, I spent the rest of the day and night making appropriate gifs and now I am very tired

pepe-pepeuniverse.gif

It's $900 for a round trip in the sleeper for two. Seems a bit steep.
The sleeper does include full meals in the dining car, but it's certainly not the cheapest way to get there. Definitely just an adventure for the 80 k folks.

Being the OF that I am, I'd much rather ride a train to a distant football opponent than either a car or plane.

I rode the Nancy Hanks many times to Savannah as a kid to visit our Savannah kinfolks every Summer and then
several times to Atlanta for our 5th grade field trip to visit the Capitol, Grant Park and the Cyclorama and several
times with my mama to shop at Rich's.

I remember several trips to the cesspool with my uncle who turned me onto to GT in 1958. Those were the games
where GT was beating the Dwags on a regular basis and there was as many GT fans at Sanford Stadium as there
was Dwag fans.................................. glorious times to say the least.

One other thing, my older brother, R.I.P. his girlfriend and I visited a bar in Buckhead after a GT game to have a
"few" adult libations. Lo and behold when we walked in, there sat Lewis Grizzard all by himself downing a few
drinks. My brother had served in the Air National Guard with one of Lewis' best friends from Moreland, GA. After
some chit-cha, Lewis invited us to join him. Fellas, I am telling you I have never, ever laughed so much in my life,
other, than not pulling for the same two college teams, my brother and I had a lot in common with Lewis, because we three
had seemed to run the same roads growing up. After an hour or so the chauffeur walked in, urging Lewis they needed to leave
for the airport, he assured him that Delta would not hold the plane for him. Lewis stood up and said; "Gentlemen and young lady, I
have enjoyed myself immensely, but I am sorry, I have to leave, as I have flight I have to catch!"

My brother remarked after Lewis left; "what a great guy he was!"

That is until the waitress brought our bar tab that also included the bar tab for Lewis too.
As I recall our total bar tab was close to $200.00 and on top of that Lewis was playing footsie under the table
with my brother's girlfriend. LOL

Still has its moments. Unless you are in that age where you yell at people to get off your lawn.

But if you want to waste an hour or so, click this youtube search and watch the clips from Sandler's Mark Twain award ceremony. Especially the "roasts" clip below.

I will...yeah I'm in the so called 'Gen X' age group so I guess I'm on the cusp of telling people to get off my lawn. Where a good face to face convo is best, only 1st place gets the trophy, and BOTDs (actual good looking women) still rule.

Back