Anyone ever turned down a bowel game?

madRazor

Hard
We always hear how important it is for everyone to play in one anytime they are invited, but there are downsides too right? The obvious one being possible career-ending injuries like bowel cancer. There must be others butt I can't stop thinking about dat ass.

We always hear how important it is for everyone to play in one anytime they are invited, but there are downsides too right? The obvious one being possible career-ending injuries like bowel cancer. There must be others butt I can't stop thinking about dat ass.
no means yes and yes means anal

Are you referring to the bowel game played in Flushing, NY? I'm not sure if it's possible to turn down a bowel game, ask Kirby Shart.

Obviously not serious, but I looked it up anyway:

• Ball State declined the Humanitarian Bowl in 2008 because they felt they deserved a better bowl after going 12-0. It would have also resulted in playing Boise State at Boise State.
  • Louisiana Tech declined the Independence Bowl in 2012 because they thought a better offer would come (it did not)

Every other case I’ve found fell into three buckets:
  • Team declined one bowl to play in another (for example 1997 Notre Dame declined the Motor City Bowl to play in the Independence Bowl)
  • Team was facing NCAA sanctions and self imposed a post season ban (for example Miami declined 2011 bowl offers)
  • Team fired their coaching staff before the bowl games (for example Notre Dame went 6-6 in 2009 but decline bowl bids while they looked for a successor to Weis)

Didn't we decline something in 2017? Or was it like me withdrawing my name from consideration for the DC position where technically I *could* be hired, but had no realistic chance.

I think GT declined a Bowl back in the early days. The coach said stte of “the boys got studying to do.”

Didn't Notre Dame turn down a bowl? Seems like they did.

Didn't we decline something in 2017? Or was it like me withdrawing my name from consideration for the DC position where technically I *could* be hired, but had no realistic chance.

I believe what happened in 2017 is that we were too cheap to schedule a replacement game for UCF that would have given us a chance to get to 6-6. Stansbury basically said we'd lose money on a bowl game, anyway. I think this is part of what disillusioned CPJ, as well.

We did take ourselves out of consideration for a bowl in 2020, as did many teams. All our players were hurt or in Covid protocol.

Didn't Notre Dame turn down a bowl? Seems like they did.
Notre Dame did not play bowls for a long time, but decided late in the season to play Texas in the 1970 Cotton Bowl. This decision screwed over LSU because they had already unofficially accepted a spot in the Cotton Bowl before official offers could go out. All the other spots were spoken for, so LSU missed out on a bowl even though they had one of the best teams in the nation. Another reason to hate ND.

Obviously not serious, but I looked it up anyway:

• Ball State declined the Humanitarian Bowl in 2008 because they felt they deserved a better bowl after going 12-0. It would have also resulted in playing Boise State at Boise State.
  • Louisiana Tech declined the Independence Bowl in 2012 because they thought a better offer would come (it did not)

Every other case I’ve found fell into three buckets:
  • Team declined one bowl to play in another (for example 1997 Notre Dame declined the Motor City Bowl to play in the Independence Bowl)
  • Team was facing NCAA sanctions and self imposed a post season ban (for example Miami declined 2011 bowl offers)
  • Team fired their coaching staff before the bowl games (for example Notre Dame went 6-6 in 2009 but decline bowl bids while they looked for a successor to Weis)

No surprise that Ball State turned down a bowel game.

USCe and Clemson were both 6-5 in 2004 but took themselves out of consideration due to their brawl. IIRC this was right after the NBA fight when Ron Artest went into the stands to punch fans.

I believe what happened in 2017 is that we were too cheap to schedule a replacement game for UCF that would have given us a chance to get to 6-6. Stansbury basically said we'd lose money on a bowl game, anyway. I think this is part of what disillusioned CPJ, as well.

We did take ourselves out of consideration for a bowl in 2020, as did many teams. All our players were hurt or in Covid protocol.
I thought going 3-7 in 2020 took us out of consideration.

Back