Anyone ever turned down a bowel game?

I remember reading that the players wanted to turn down the peach bowl Carson's last year but got talked into it.
Partial credit.

We voted not to go to the 1971 Peach Bowl, then Carson walked back into the Meeting Room & said WTTE "You're gonna stay in here & vote til you vote to go the Peach Bowl."

He got his wish on the next vote. And we got ours after that game as Carson got shown the door, his deserved karma after the 1970 Sun Bowl & the 1971 season.

Partial credit.

We voted not to go to the 1971 Peach Bowl, then Carson walked back into the Meeting Room & said WTTE "You're gonna stay in here & vote til you vote to go the Peach Bowl."

He got his wish on the next vote. And we got ours after that game as Carson got shown the door, his deserved karma after the 1970 Sun Bowl & the 1971 season.
In '69 and '70 you had a guy named Perdoni. That was one hell of a good player.

3-7 was enough for any bowl committee not to consider us.

To be fair, Mississippi State went to a bowl at 3-7. I certainly won't argue that we were somehow deserving, in any way! That season was a joke and that's why it doesn't count towards anyone's eligibility.

In '69 and '70 you had a guy named Perdoni. That was one hell of a good player.
... and Smylie Gebhart, Jeff Ford, Rick Lewis, Dave Beavin, Stan Beavers, Brad Bourne, Tim Broome, Randy Duckworth, Bubba Hoats, Gary Carden, John Riggle, Bill Flowers, Buck Shiver and Joe Hardwick et al were pretty good as well.

Of the DLs, Gebhart, Broome & Hardwick never weighed more than about 195.... Perdoni & Bourne around 240 & Duck around 225.

Partial credit.

Would love to hear more of this story on Carson if you don't mind sharing.

Would love to hear more of this story on Carson if you don't mind sharing.
I've told this before on other fora, so I won't go into too much detail - the Statute of Limitations hasn't run out & I'm not the Last Man Standing - essentially started with the practices for the 1970 Sun Bowl, played on December 19, 1970.

We were on the Quarter System so Finals Week ran into mid December.

Rather than cut back on the length of practices & meetings to accommodate Final Exam schedules that ran 8-11, 12-3, 3-6, & 6-9, Carson ran the usual pre & post practice meetings, with 2-2.5 hour "full pad" practices that STARTED at 9PM. Try working that into your Finals study/cram time. especially if you had a 8-11 or 12-3 Final the next day. Or back to back Finals.

It finally boiled over, cooler heads prevailed (and the GT Staff members who were GT Alumni intervened), but the next year's seniors swore it would never go down like that again.

And it didn't.

After Carson pulled the voting stunt the week after the 24-28 UGag Thanksgiving Robbery, knowing full well Carson had one foot on a banana peel, certain senior team leaders essentially negotiated the terms of practice....... "helmets & sweats" or "helmets, shoulder pads & sweats," 90 minute max practices. The Student Manager who was the time keeper & signaled the end of each period in practice would notify one of the seniors & that player would go hit the siren to end practice. More than once Budro got caught short when his USMC Parris Island practices were going to go more than 90 minutes.

The game was a disaster, but a relief to finally have it all over. The next Monday after the Dec 30th Peach Bowl, Carson was gone.

Epilog: At the 1995 Reunion for the 1970 Sun Bowl team, I overheard Carson saying to one of his fellow UNC alumni & one of our assistants, "I never understood what was so hard about Hotel Management." He was at GT one year as an assistant, five as HFC, and he still didn't understand what Business or Industrial management is/was. Kinda sums up Budro..... brilliant defensive coach, oblivious to everything around him, including his players & The Institute.

THWg!

So did the players lay down in the 71 Peach Bowl? I take it from this post and some previous ones by you that you all did.

So did the players lay down in the 71 Peach Bowl? I take it from this post and some previous ones by you that you all did.
"I've told this before on other fora, so I won't go into too much detail - the Statute of Limitations hasn't run out & I'm not the Last Man Standing - essentially started with the practices for the 1970 Sun Bowl, played on December 19, 1970."

From 38 years as an Intel weenie, "Will neither confirm, nor deny."

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

"I've told this before on other fora, so I won't go into too much detail - the Statute of Limitations hasn't run out & I'm not the Last Man Standing - essentially started with the practices for the 1970 Sun Bowl, played on December 19, 1970."

From 38 years as an Intel weenie, "Will neither confirm, nor deny."

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

ETA: Others claim they heard it from someone else who confirmed it. Good for them. But it wasn't Old DeepSnap.

Sorry to know this. It doesn't speak too well of either Carson or the team. I worked in the old Knowles bldg.at Tech from 65-68. I spent a lot of breaks and lunch periods on the front porch of the Knowles chewing the fat and listening to gossip with other employees. Some seemed to have inside knowledge of what was going on in the Athletic Association. That along with reading the ajc and watching football review Sundays with Fur an Bisher, I was of the opinion there was a Dodd deep state against Carson from the beginning though Dodd was not part of it. I think they wanted Carlen who left a year earlier.

I knew someone that was on that team but have since lost touch, he might have been a senior that year as well, hopefully we will cross paths again one day.

Sorry to know this. It doesn't speak too well of either Carson or the team. I worked in the old Knowles bldg.at Tech from 65-68. I spent a lot of breaks and lunch periods on the front porch of the Knowles chewing the fat and listening to gossip with other employees. Some seemed to have inside knowledge of what was going on in the Athletic Association. That along with reading the ajc and watching football review Sundays with Fur an Bisher, I was of the opinion there was a Dodd deep state against Carson from the beginning though Dodd was not part of it. I think they wanted Carlen who left a year earlier.
Carlen was definitely a more personable figure, but he left right before Carson got to the staff & was actually replaced by Carson. No one knew when Dodd was going to retire, so Carlen left after the '65 season.

FWIW, Carlen also left no bridges un-burned as he headed to Morgantown in '66 before taking the Texas Tech job in '70 (replaced at WVU by Bobby Bowdon) . That said, the GT staffers who had known Carlen treated him well at the Sun Bowl.

There wasn't a deep state against Carson - he was just a very unlikeable personality. After he left the Steelers after six years, he bounced around the NFL, always wearing out his welcome after three or four years. He didn't last that long with the Browns, his last HFC job.

As far as Carson & GT, wrong guy, wrong place, wrong time. He thought GT athletes were on the same academic level as the UNC & USCe ones he was used to, IOW, PhysEd majors. Wrong guy, wrong place, wrong time and that never changed.

Back