Anyone feel like this depicts GTs defense?

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
....at the end of the season?

----> 0/\
--- > \/\
wind--> \ ---->
wind--> / \ ---->
-----> / .. \
____ LOL _ LOL ______>>>>

First 7 games: Opponents avg 13.5 ppg.
Last 6 games: Opponents avg. 30.5 ppg.

What the F happened? The schedule was not 17 ppg harder.

Last edited:
You don't think that Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami and Georgia are 17ppg better than Jacksonville State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Mississippi State, Duke and Gardner-Webb?

Really?

Our defense got noticably worse without JWD at corner. Next year our corners (and LB's) will play better if only because of experience.

I think the times of our defense being known for its stinginess are long gone... with a high scoring offense other teams will get more posessions, and regardless of what anyone says, Tenuta was a great D.C. and will be sorely missed.

You don't think that Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami and Georgia are 17ppg better than Jacksonville State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Mississippi State, Duke and Gardner-Webb?

Really?

Lets say they are. Doesn't matter.

You think 30.3 ppg is good against Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami and Georgia?

If not for creating some key turnovers we finish 6-6.

If the defense doesn't improve next year over the end of this year we won't win more than 8 games next year.

Our defense got noticably worse without JWD at corner. Next year our corners (and LB's) will play better if only because of experience.

That is a good point.

I also note JWD has no more eligibility. :ugh:

I've got significant doubts about our defense. Next year will tell us a lot more about our DC.

Add in Walker's change in effectiveness and the loss of two linebackers and we, ahem, didn't look very good on defense at the end.

Next year could be a long year defensively (and look like a typical Navy year). I'm hoping that Sweeting is incredible and one of our freshman/redshirt freshman can really step it up at linebacker or maybe Reese/Burnett moves to CB or in reality our current CB's make large improvement jumps. AND still, we replace FOUR seniors on our DL.

It could be a long year defensively.

The year after Kenny Scott left, we stopped being a good defense.

The moment JWD went down, we stopped being a good defense.

That's whay I was STOKED to see us snag a 4* CB recruit.

I agree that we will know more about our DC after next season.

PPG is so meaningless. Why don't sites give points per possession numbers?

But doesn't the defense get credit for "creating some key turnovers?" That's part of their job too.

Maybe they didn't perform as well late as they did early. Maybe it was just the level of competition. Regardless, they did well enough for us to go 9-4. Why should we even discuss whether or not we could have finished 6-6? The season is over and we didn't.

Besides, I have a feeling our offense will score a few more points per game next year. And I do think our defense will be improving too.

The biggest problem will be that our expectations are also. The question is whether or not the team can improve enough to keep up with our expectations. I kinda feel sorry for them.

It's going to be a long off-season.

....at the end of the season?

----> 0/\
--- > \/\
wind--> \ ---->
wind--> / \ ---->
-----> / .. \
____ LOL _ LOL ______>>>>

First 7 games: Opponents avg 13.5 ppg.
Last 6 games: Opponents avg. 30.5 ppg.

What the F happened? The schedule was not 17 ppg harder.

I have been trying to speak the obvious on here and we have a poster or two that keep making excuses for our defense. There are no more excuses...We will never be in a position to win championships UNTIL we have a kick butt DC and play good defense, and I mean scoring defense, (Meaning not giving up points, none of this we did this we did that we had this injury and that one and the defense was put in this position and that) bottom line HOW MANY POINTS DID YOU GIVE UP !!! They mentioned this on Espn last week when discussing defense (Holtz & Bowden did) Scoring defense is all that matters and I agree with them. That is the most important defensive statistic out there. U.S.C. is the best team in the land mainly because they give up around 8 points a game. We need to be in the top 15 in scoring defense to win championships, our offense will be great, this is not Navy, we shouldn't be giving up these kind of points each game as we did in the 2nd half of the season. We cannot expect to be a top 10 team if we continue too...Our offense will win some games for us and be entertaining but, we need a kick butt defense to be that consistent top 10 team we aspire to be. We have not had that great scoring defense since the mid 80's The Blackwatch defense under Don Lindsey. We can do this again here at GT. Give me that type defense along with P.J.'s offense and we will have something special here.

Last edited:
I have been trying to speak the obvious on here and we have a poster or two that keep making excuses for our defense. There are no more excuses...We will never be in a position to win championships UNTIL we have a kick butt DC and play good defense, and I mean scoring defense . . .

The reason you keep getting flack is because we do not have enough data yet to determine if Wommack is the problem or not. Other than the DL and Morgan Burnette the defensive cupboard was pretty damn bare this year. I'm not convinced Tenuta would have done much better considering the poor LB and DB talent.

If in two years we have a D with multiple NFL starters on it and we're still having the same problems, then we'll know Wommack is the sole issue.

The reason you keep getting flack is because we do not have enough data yet to determine if Wommack is the problem or not. Other than the DL and Morgan Burnette the defensive cupboard was pretty damn bare this year. I'm not convinced Tenuta would have done much better considering the poor LB and DB talent.

If in two years we have a D with multiple NFL starters on it and we're still having the same problems, then we'll know Wommack is the sole issue.

I can buy that Jacketdan...I don't think Tenuta is all that either. I am REAL concerned about Wommack, but leave it to PJ. Like the poster said, we will know fully about Wommack after next year, also concerned that Spurrier fired him last year.

Another thing, the cupboard was far from Bare....

I don't see anyone saying the defense was great, but put into perspective before the bowl game we were ranked 22 in the nation in scoring D at 18.8 per game. That's better than all but one of the last 4 seasons under Tenuta. Add in the 29 takeaways and it's hard to say the defense was bad. Yes they struggled with some teams, particularly late when we were down into the depth chart at both LB and DB. The cupboard was not bare, but it was very inexperienced. In fact, one of the things that Wommack said they had to do for the bowl was simplify things. Not really a good thing at seasons end to think that we had to scale things back.

I have been trying to speak the obvious on here and we have a poster or two that keep making excuses for our defense.

1gtfan

Listen...my point is you always pick one thing and blame it...or one thing and heap praise on it. Almost like a national tv sports announcer.

I agree the defense needs some work...but I expected it this year with our LB corps and entire secondary being made up of underclassmen.

Look at it this way....even if our defense kept LSU out of the endzone all night Wednesday....the game still would have gone to overtime!

Without a doubt my biggest concerns going into 2009:

1) The OL- We have to start moving people
2) Defensive line- Can we prevent the opponents OL from pushing us around.
3) QB accuracy- We have to make the passing game a threat...not a huge one...just a threat. The receivers are getting open.

Our pass D has been atrocious as long as I've been here. We just do not recruit the 5 star shut down corners that are needed. This is why Tenuta applied pressure.

IMO these last few games have shown you that Tenuta > Wommack.

Our pass D has been atrocious as long as I've been here. We just do not recruit the 5 star shut down corners that are needed. This is why Tenuta applied pressure.

IMO these last few games have shown you that Tenuta > Wommack.
So you've forgotten 51-7 already?

Back