Anyone Following the Maryland Story?

So Durkin is going to pocket about $5.5 million dollars for being fired without cause.

That kid who died deserved better. As does his family.

$5.5 million dollars. No responsibility for what happened. How is that even possible?
I don't understand how people on this board think they know who's responsible for a football player's death by heatstroke?

The reports by the NYT and by the athletics dept can't find any thing Durkin did wrong vis-a-vis this player... they just say he fostered an aggressive and demanding culture that was wrong because it included things like "challenging a player’s manhood and hurling homophobic slurs.” Another third-party report said the medical missteps that occurred after he began showing symptoms were the medical staff's fault, not the coaching staff's fault.

But for the ideologues at the NYT, using homophobic slurs means you didn't care if your player died. That makes no sense to me.

I don't understand how people on this board think they know who's responsible for a football player's death by heatstroke?

The reports by the NYT and by the athletics dept can't find any thing Durkin did wrong vis-a-vis this player... they just say he fostered an aggressive and demanding culture that was wrong because it included things like "challenging a player’s manhood and hurling homophobic slurs.” Another third-party report said the medical missteps that occurred after he began showing symptoms were the medical staff's fault, not the coaching staff's fault.

But for the ideologues at the NYT, using homophobic slurs means you didn't care if your player died. That makes no sense to me.
Good question. But you know what broke through the confusion for me? The players. The other players blame Durkin. If the rest of the team came out in support of Durkin then that would be a different story. But they aren't. Quite a few players "walked out" after the announcement yesterday that Durkin could keep his job.

So no, I haven't formed an opinion out of thin air - I trust the guys in the trenches, so to speak. Do you think the MD board of regents sat down with the players and really listened to them? Or did the regents just pick the option that saved $5.5M dollars?

So I guess this is where we decide who is telling the truth. The student athletes who lost one of their own and who have no financial stake in the outcome or the MD Board of Regents who have $5.5M at stake - the same Board of Regents who hired the UGa failure that is Damon Evans.

So I've explained whose side I'm taking and why. Your turn.

Last edited:
Good question. But you know what broke through the confusion for me? The players. The other players blame Durkin. If the rest of the team came out in support of Durkin then that would be a different story. But they aren't. Quite a few players "walked out" after the announcement yesterday that Durkin could keep his job.

So no, I haven't formed an opinion out of thin air - I trust the guys in the trenches, so to speak. Do you think the MD board of regents sat down with the players and really listened to them? Or did the regents just pick the option that saved $5.5M dollars?

So I guess this is where we decide who is telling the truth. The student athletes who lost one of their own and who have no financial stake in the outcome or the MD Board of Regents who have $5.5M at stake - the same Board of Regents who hired the UGa failure that is Damon Evans.

So I've explained whose side I'm taking and why. Your turn.
I'm not taking any sides – I don't have enough information to do so. So I guess I'm on the side of 'let the system work, it's what we got'

As for the players, I heard some walked out, but I also read that when Durkin was suspended a lot of players voiced support. Maybe they decided they liked Canada better? I don't know. And either way, while maybe players should have input in who the coach is sometimes, they don't necessarily know whether he bears any fault for the kids' death, which is the real question here. I got no problem firing him because he's a jerk and players don't like him (that's an excellent reason, actually), but that's definitely not for cause. And he shouldn't be tarred with killing a kid because people don't like him.

As for the regents' incentive, I don't follow your theory. The regents aren't out of pocket when they pay a settlement. Public institutions are basically the most likely to settle easy cases because they're always spending somebody else's money anyhow and have no hope of big bonuses. They're just trying to protect their own names, so they're going to go whichever way the wind blows.

I'm not taking any sides – I don't have enough information to do so. So I guess I'm on the side of 'let the system work, it's what we got'

As for the players, I heard some walked out, but I also read that when Durkin was suspended a lot of players voiced support. Maybe they decided they liked Canada better? I don't know. And either way, while maybe players should have input in who the coach is sometimes, they don't necessarily know whether he bears any fault for the kids' death, which is the real question here. I got no problem firing him because he's a jerk and players don't like him (that's an excellent reason, actually), but that's definitely not for cause. And he shouldn't be tarred with killing a kid because people don't like him.

As for the regents' incentive, I don't follow your theory. The regents aren't out of pocket when they pay a settlement. Public institutions are basically the most likely to settle easy cases because they're always spending somebody else's money anyhow and have no hope of big bonuses. They're just trying to protect their own names, so they're going to go whichever way the wind blows.

I think you missed the part of who they hired as AD. Do COFH better.

Back