Anyone Know Our Record The Two Years After We Converted Out Of The Pepper Rodgers Wishbone?

Pepper switched out of wishbone at least by the year that ELI was a senior. I guess 78 or 79. Had the talent to run Power I (was it?) with Kelley and Ivery. So the year he switched he went 7-4 and lost in the Peach Bowl to Purdue. (Ivery was hurt and did not play in bowl I don’t think)
The next year (79?) I think we went 5-6?
Then Curry came to town.

The wishbone was gone after either the '76 or '77 season. In '78 they ran I-formation with freshman Mike Kelly at QB. Kelly was a traditional pocket passing QB. Pepper made the transition from the wishbone to the I-formation relatively painlessly thanks to a stable full of future NFL upper classmen. He was done in not by swapping offensive systems but by the blue bloods in the west stands who didn't like his carefree persona. If people had gotten behind him, supported him and given the money needed to upgrade facilities, we would not have suffered through the dark years of the early 80's.

Took Curry 5 seasons to have a winning season, and then jetted for Bama two years later.

I seem to remember that in 1978, we played wishbone the first game at Duke and lost. Didn't Pepper get knocked unconscious on the sideline by a flying headphone? We started off bad the next week against California, and Pepper put Kelly in. Kelly was a true freshman, and a passing QB. He almost brought us back. Inside of a couple of weeks, Pepper changed from a wishbone to an I formation and we won 7 straight. That damn '78 game in Athens hurt the worst of any Tech loss to me ever. I think if we win that game, uga never wins the 80 MNC. They sorta took off after that. Pepper was two plays away from being 4-1 against uga at the end of '78.

We wasted Kelly. He was the best QB in the 20 years between Kim King and Shawn Jones IMO.
We did start Gardy hardie I think at Duke and against Cal, but M Kelly came in the Cal game and started from then on. But we never ran the wishbone in ‘78 to my recollection.

also the comparison of the transitions to today are off base because the OL play in fine old wishbone was different than Paul’s version. More screening of the DL instead of cuts if they weren’t drive blocking. Talked quite a bit with players while working on the Technique.

Last edited:
Pepper switched out of wishbone at least by the year that ELI was a senior. I guess 78 or 79. Had the talent to run Power I (was it?) with Kelley and Ivery. So the year he switched he went 7-4 and lost in the Peach Bowl to Purdue. (Ivery was hurt and did not play in bowl I don’t think)
The next year (79?) I think we went 5-6?
Then Curry came to town.
This is correct

Back