Apparently "their coaches" have been better than ours

PJ faced more top 25 teams than OLeary i think. Not positive, but would be interesting to check.

PJ coached 4 more years than O'Leary so yeah he faced more top 25 teams overall, but GOL averaged more per season. Here are the numbers:

GOL vs Top 25:
1995 - 1-3
1996 - 1-2
1997 - 1-4
1998 - 4-1
1999 - 1-2
2000 - 2-1
2001 - 1-3

27 total games, 11-16 record, 0.407 win% vs top 25, average 3.9 games vs top 25 per season.

CPJ vs Top 25:
2008 - 3-1
2009 - 3-2
2010 - 0-1
2011 - 1-2
2012 - 0-4
2013 - 0-2
2014 - 3-1
2015 - 1-2
2016 - 1-3
2017 - 1-4
2018 - 0-2

37 total games, 13-24 record, 0.351 win% vs top 25, average 3.4 games vs top 25 per season.

And if you were asking what was UGAg ranked the years CPJ beat them:

2008 GT#18, UGAg#13
2014 GT#16, UGAg#8
2016 neither ranked

Last edited:
So he beat a #8 UGA and a #13 UGA. FSU would not have finished top 5 if they lost to GT, right?

Where did you get those stats? Wiki shows us playing 4 top 25 teams in 2010.

O'leary got fat off beating Jim Donnan, when Richt showed up he beat O'leary by 2 touchdowns his first year in Atlanta. If O'leary would have stayed Richt would have owned him for years because Richt's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year teams were much better than his first year team. O'leary was smart to bail out when he did.
O’Leary beat Richt when he was at UCF.

UGA has achieved less with more talent than any team in history. They have recruited great football talent by telling recruits they that at Georgia they won't have to "waste" time on academics. They have sold their soul and whatever integrity they ever had to win it all. Yet, somehow, we won a National Championship ten years more recently than they have. And, to top it all off, they have been on the very brink of winning the national championship the last two years and had their hearts broken both times. There is no pain worse than that. They may try to hide it, but they're really suffering over there. Just look at Kirby's face. Does he look happy or miserable? I almost feel sorry for them. What can they do now? Increase their stadium capacity? Hire a better coach? Promise recruits more? Lighten the case load for players, who already have no academic distractions? Just throw more money up in the air and hope it lands on a lucky place?

And then Clemson, of all people, has taken over their neighborhood, Florida and the other teams they have to beat to win even the SEC East are getting better, and Tech has made a new commitment to football, instead of going away, as the Dogs had hoped. With all their talent and all the money they spend, they surely should win a National Championship, but who knows? Sadly for them, they've had lots of chances since 1980, and not cashed in on any of them. We had one chance, and took the trophy home. Who can really say when they'll get another chance? Maybe next season, but maybe not for fifty seasons. Their competition is getting better all the time, and they've run out of ways to throw more money at the problem. If I were a Georgia fan, I might smile on the outside and say the "right" stuff, but I'd be really sick about lost opportunities on the inside.

I know this. I'd much rather be a Tech fan right now with a reason to look forward to becoming elite, than be a Georgia fan having to think about all those lost opportunities. In fact, I do feel sorry for them. But, it looks like the good word has come to fruition. I've been yelling "To Hell With Georgia!" all my life, and it looks like the the dogs finally got there.

I will admit I care more about final rankings vs "rankings at the time we played them" since preseason rankings are often garbage.
I agree with your view that post-season rankings *should* be what matters. But that's not the way the world measures these things. And there's some *small* logic to their perspective... if you beat the #1 team in the nation, and that causes them to drop, then you are lowering your own strength of schedule when you win. But strength of schedule isn't supposed to measure your strength, but your opponents. We let your own record measure your strength.

I know this. I'd much rather be a Tech fan right now with a reason to look forward to becoming elite, than be a Georgia fan having to think about all those lost opportunities. In fact, I do feel sorry for them. But, it looks like the good word has come to fruition. I've been yelling "To Hell With Georgia!" all my life, and it looks like the the dogs finally got there.

It's great to hate the dwags, but I would love to be in the discussion/hunt for the national championship every year. At least they have those opportunities to lose. It's much better than progressing through a season hoping we will be bowl eligible. Hopefully our recruiting will continue to improve and our fans will be patient with Collins during the growing pains of changing the offense over.

I will admit I care more about final rankings vs "rankings at the time we played them" since preseason rankings are often garbage.

By this metric the 1990 win at UVa wasn't that much of a big deal.

I bet it eats you up inside that O'leary never won the Orange Bowl or had a team finish ranked in the top 10.
I don't disagree with you overall, but Joe Ham's team that beat ND in the Gator bowl finished #10, IIRC.

I don't disagree with you overall, but Joe Ham's team that beat ND in the Gator bowl finished #10, IIRC.
The 1998 team finished #9 in the AP poll. The 2014 team finished #8 in the AP poll.

Their competition is getting better all the time, and they've run out of ways to throw more money at the problem. If I were a Georgia fan, I might smile on the outside and say the "right" stuff, but I'd be really sick about lost opportunities on the inside.

I've heard a couple of UGA fans mention that they will have more trouble with the East if UF and UT get better. Once UF gets an offense, UGA will have problems. It will be a return of the late 90's to mid 2000's for them.

Like I said before on another thread, they're worried about their window closing. 2018 was just so, so close.

Clemson winning two recently just adds insult to injury.

Edit: Not that they ever recruited bad under Richt but they are recruiting consistently better under Shart. They still have Alabama in their collective heads, though.

Back