Approve of Collins?

Would you approve of a Geoff Collins hire?

• Total voters

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I don't think he's a great hire, but I do think he's a good one. Besides Elliott, I like him more than the other names we threw out there.
Just don't expect a first season like CPJ had. We need to give him time.
Elliot has absolutely no experience as a head coach. None. If it had been Elliot with Collins' resume, I'd have been all for it. Unfortunately for Elliot, he needs some HC experience before getting a Power 5 job. He needs to set his sights on a school that builds his resume. Collins has Alabama, GT, Florida, Mississippi State experience as an assistant and Temple experience as a HC. As likeable of a guy as Elliot is, GT is not a place for him to come learn how to be a head coach.

gt6828d

Varsity Lurker
I approve of the swag chalice coming to Georgia Tech, so long as it is rendered in all the glory and grandeur the Georgia Tech version of a swag chalice deserves: a solid gold base with 222 diamonds spelling out "THWg".

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
Because I hate grown men who act like they're teenagers. I know that's supposedly what it takes to be a good coach these days, but I'll be honest, I don't like the whole youth pastor vibe I get from the guy.

I hope he wins and won't öööö talk him until he does something egregiously bad. But I ain't going to be his cheerleader.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Elliot has absolutely no experience as a head coach. None. If it had been Elliot with Collins' resume, I'd have been all for it. Unfortunately for Elliot, he needs some HC experience before getting a Power 5 job. He needs to set his sights on a school that builds his resume. Collins has Alabama, GT, Florida, Mississippi State experience as an assistant and Temple experience as a HC. As likeable of a guy as Elliot is, GT is not a place for him to come learn how to be a head coach.
Not a good argument imo. Not everyone needs to be a HC at a small school first (see Kirby), and Collins has a mediocre record in his 2 years as a head coach. Collins comes across as somewhat of a job hopper, never really sticking around long enough to have much directly attributable impact, but getting credit for each of those teams' success.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
We're about to find out if GT can get consistent top 25 recruiting classes. If Collins can't do it, after everything I'm hearing from him, then not sure anybody can (outside of the true blue chip coaches, and maybe not even then.) So I'm excited that it seems we're going all in on recruiting with this hire.

I voted no, but I wish there was more than a yes/no option. With the large interest, I would like to know who was rejected. There are certainly coaches I prefer over Collins, Monken/Briles/Leach being some of them.

I’ll support Collins. But if we don’t crack the top 25 in recruiting by year 2 and especially year 3, I have little confidence we’ll see good results on the field.

Here’s hoping the optimism in his recruiting prowess is correct and our AD gives him the money and support he needs.
your viewpoint is interesting given your stance on Josh Pastner. They seem pretty similar to me. Pastner has not delivered on his supposed recruiting prowess but you're still firmly in his camp regardless of a whole lot of L's.
I fall in the in between category as well. I'll support the hire and hope it goes awesome but I actually love our offense and wanted Monken if there was a chance to stay with it. Going away from the offense I wanted to push for Satterfield but that ship has sailed and now that I know with a 100% certainty that we could have another P5 head coach that has actually called GT wanting the job, and would fit in awesome at Tech, I would really like him but iiwii.
who was this?

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
At this point, I feel like Whisenhunt was floated so Collins doesn't seem so bad.

I really would've preferred Monken.
I mean, it had that effect, but it looks accidental to me. TStan probably dodged a bullet with Whiz. We'll never know.

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
True.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
We're about to find out if GT can get consistent top 25 recruiting classes. If Collins can't do it, after everything I'm hearing from him, then not sure anybody can (outside of the true blue chip coaches, and maybe not even then.) So I'm excited that it seems we're going all in on recruiting with this hire.

your viewpoint is interesting given your stance on Josh Pastner. They seem pretty similar to me. Pastner has not delivered on his supposed recruiting prowess but you're still firmly in his camp regardless of a whole lot of L's.

who was this?
I will support Collins, and maybe longer than anyone else here will. Time will tell. It’s just gonna take a little while to get my brain there.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
Because I hate grown men who act like they're teenagers. I know that's supposedly what it takes to be a good coach these days, but I'll be honest, I don't like the whole youth pastor vibe I get from the guy.

I hope he wins and won't öööö talk him until he does something egregiously bad. But I ain't going to be his cheerleader.
I remember when Dabo first got hired thinking "Why did Clemson hire a male cheerleader?" But it worked. I stand corrected.

Buzzrock

Varsity Lurker
We sort of made the Dabo hire without it looking like we were desperate for a “type”. Collins has real Atlanta and GT ties and a track record that makes him really interesting.

It’s got to be a little tough to walk the tightrope between leader and cheerleader, but Imma duct tape my gold colored glasses to my face.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like

I'll state the obvious that it'll come down to results. I imagine along with you and others, I too will have serious issues with the dumbass $$$ signs, the twitter handles on spring game jerseys, stupid motivation gimmicks, etc. if we start losing games. Dealing with CPJ's public persona would be far easier to stomach in the bad times than that stuff.

However, I think this is what Tech needs. I really do. The aura around the program, the fans, the school, etc. they all need a good dose of millennials marketing nonsense.

thwg

Damn Good Rat
Thats because TStan's playing 4D chess. He leaked Whisenhunt's name, even leaked that he was offeeing him a job, waited for the fans to go through 4 of the 5 stages of grief, then he said dont believe what you believe in the media, calling them fake news, and leaked his real choice, getting most of the fanbase support and looking like a hero.
Basically lol