Are there any doubter’s left?

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Believe it or not, I think that there are still 2 or 3 FOCers on this site alone. But then there were people on the Titantic who refused a lifeboat, too.
One poster last night seemed very content with yesterday's results and was good enough to congratulate the enemy. It reminded me of the old saying,"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a LOSER".
BOO

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Are there any doubter’s left? Does everyone now know that Dave NoBraine, Choke Gaily and Billy O’Bad simply don’t have what it takes to run a major college program. We need immediate change and I am not talking about the likes of GL.

Excue me, do you know what you are talking about. Take a second and think abou this, without Braine we would be without in my words one of the best mens basketball coach in Hewitt. Also, we wouldn't have Shmansky for volleyball. Yes we have our doubts about Gaeily but he is the most winningest first year coach in Tech history. Yes Bill o Brian isn't great, but I have heard from 750 the zone and other people that Gaiely wont let Brian coach that much. So, please don't talk till you have a point, capice.

Ty Willingham was not, I repeat, was not intersted in being the Head Ball Coach at the GST.
It would have been a lateral move for him.

No high profile, "name" football coach wanted this job. Baby Bowden didn't push for it. I think he wants FSU anyway.

Chan was the best of what we had to work with.
Now if you knew some people in power they could have pushed for John Cooper, but we still would be losing to georgia.

GMC68, the committee did not want Mac, O'Brien, nor Roof as a candidate for head coach. It would have gone against the wisest of reasoning to have chosen any of the three for head coach.

No other AD in the world would have chosen any of the three, so why should Braine do something that stupid. I agree with the committee and Braine of choosing Gailey based on his credentials.

Sometimes, no matter how much you study the situation and go with the wisest decision, it still turns out wrong. However, choosing Mac, O'Brien or Roof would have been far worse in the long run.

None of the three were chosen as head coaching replacements for even lower division programs last year. None of the three will be chosen for head coaching jobs this year, and, possibly, none of the three will ever be chosen as a head coach anywhere, especially Mac.

Braine receives all the letters from coaches desiring to be considered for the job, and he makes a list and bios of other coaches he would like to interview. He then takes these candidates to the committee, and the entire committee decides the candidates to be interviewed.

Braine is then directed by the committee to investigate all the major candidates and bring back his recommendations. The committee along with Braine decides who to select as the new coach. Braine does not make these decisions on his own. He is the main man to bring back the recommendations, but the committee decides the coach selected in most cases.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You left out one very important component of the decision making process.....Big and I mean real big $$$ contributors. That is the real power structure along with Clough!

Yellowjacket, yes that is true, but I assume their spokesman is the alumni representative on the committee. However, normally these $$$$people are past football players at GT and want the best for GT. I am glad we have their money to help support our athletic programs.

wink.gif

If only Carson had stayed at Tech another season, the the 72 team would have been National Champs....

Come on guys, it doesn't do any good to look in the rear view mirror while exciting things are coming up.
wink.gif

Picking a head coach has got to be as difficult as picking a CEO. How do you tell the good ones from the bad ones? Fortunately, we won't be responsible for future coaching selections (here on Stingtalk). Much more fun to second guess those that will!
wink.gif

I bet the next time around, the criteria will be alot different than when Gailey was hired....

Lil’jacket you are right about Hewitt. Braine got lucky with that surprise pick. I will admit I am not familiar with the hire of Shmansky. I have been to quite a few of the volleyball games this year. That is the most exciting and best kept secret at GT. Anyone who hasn’t attended a match has missed the biggest highlight of the fall. Not to mention that they hosted the ACC Tournament and won the ACC title. As for the talking heads on radio do they really know what goes on on the sidelines at any college game?

Gtg8r we don’t know if Willingham would have been interested in GT because no one ever asked him. The worst possible response he could have given is no. With the financial package being offered I believe he would have seriously considered the offer.

As for those CG supporters think of this. CG was and still is totally out of touch with the college game. He has a huge ego that will not allow him to admit his mistakes and correct them. This is obvious by his choice of starting players and lack of adjustments at half time.

You can go to the GT web site and see CG’s resume. He has a proven history of not being able to hold a coaching job. He began his coaching profession in 1974. Since then his head coaching career consists of tenures of 2 years, 1 year, 2 years and 2 years. He has not stayed in any coaching position as an assistant for longer than 2 years. He stayed with one NFL team 6 years and another for 4 years. With these two exceptions he has not ever spent more than two years with any team. Does this indicate that past employers have realized their mistake and corrected it?

Ahsoisee you are right about the coach’s selection committee making a mistake if they chose Roof or O’Brien. Neither of them have enough experience to be a head coach in a major program. You still have to love Roof for his heroic performance in the UGaLy/GT game his senior year. As for Mac please explain to me why he would have been a bad choice. His not having head coaching experience is not a reason. Richt and Fridge have proven that. You do make an excellent point in stating no matter how much thought and research goes into selecting a head coach, you can still make a mistake. But as I tell my clients, “I will make mistakes. That’s not what is important. What is important is what I do to correct those mistakes.”

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
GMC68, the committee did not want Mac, O'Brien, nor Roof as a candidate for head coach. It would have gone against the wisest of reasoning to have chosen any of the three for head coach.

No other AD in the world would have chosen any of the three, so why should Braine do something that stupid. I agree with the committee and Braine of choosing Gailey based on his credentials.

Sometimes, no matter how much you study the situation and go with the wisest decision, it still turns out wrong. However, choosing Mac, O'Brien or Roof would have been far worse in the long run.

None of the three were chosen as head coaching replacements for even lower division programs last year. None of the three will be chosen for head coaching jobs this year, and, possibly, none of the three will ever be chosen as a head coach anywhere, especially Mac.

Braine receives all the letters from coaches desiring to be considered for the job, and he makes a list and bios of other coaches he would like to interview. He then takes these candidates to the committee, and the entire committee decides the candidates to be interviewed.

Braine is then directed by the committee to investigate all the major candidates and bring back his recommendations. The committee along with Braine decides who to select as the new coach. Braine does not make these decisions on his own. He is the main man to bring back the recommendations, but the committee decides the coach selected in most cases.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank you ahso I agree 100%

GMC68, Mac does not have the credentials for becoming a head coach. His bio has nothing in it to indicate to anyone that he would make a good head coach. At best, he has been successful as an offensive line coach.

Mac was made interim head coach for the one bowl game. He knew time was short and all he could do was the same as any other person in his capacity at the time, turn the offense over to O'Brien, the defense over to Roof, and get out of the way. That is about his contribution to the effort.

Even if he had provided more, one game is not an indicator of one's ability to be a head coach.

The biggest reason Tech won the bowl game was not Mac as interim head coach, but the fact that O'Leary was out of the way.

There was some animosity among athletes who were relegated to the bench because of mistakes. Since GOL was no longer around, the players were looser and wanted to produce in a more positive way.

It is no accident that Sean Gregory had a good game against Stanford.

Mac actually contributed very little to the win. He just got out of the way.

Don't kid yourself, Mac will never be a head coach anywhere. He will at most be either an offensive line coach again someday, or, possibly, an offensive coordinator. I doubt he will reach the latter.

As I stated earlier, no AD or committee anywhere in the world would have taken his qualifications and made him a head coach. That is only a dream in someone's mind.

Can you imagine this situation! The committee hires Mac as the head coach. He is an ex UGA player and has a dorm named after his family at UGA. The Tech family screams because an ex UGA player is made head coach at Tech and the influential alumni start withholding their contributions.

Many GT supporters cancel their season tickets. Mac takes the team we had this year and goes 7-5 and gets killed by UGA 52-7. Tech fans hang the committee and Braine (and not in effigy). Tech drops football.

The AJC has a ball with this for years.

I could continue, but you should get the picture by now.

drinking.gif

Are there any doubter’s left? Does everyone now know that Dave NoBraine, Choke Gaily and Billy O’Bad simply don’t have what it takes to run a major college program. We need immediate change and I am not talking about the likes of GL. He did not motivate this team either. There are plenty of quality coach’s available. But first we must get a new AD. One that isn’t obsessed with hiring total surprises. Ty Willingham was available but NoBraine wouldn’t talk to him. I watched GT in the Seattle Bowl coached by an interim head coach, play the most inspired football since the Ross era. Mac was willing to stay on but NoBraine wouldn’t even give him proper consideration. Call me a negative a—hole but unless changes are made GT is headed to mediocrity. Recruiting will be a total bust this year so we need to make changes now! Remember a fish stinks from the head down.

The choice of Kim King, Tax Anderson, Larry Morris and other knowledgeable Georgia Tech football veterans is still available and waiting -Jimmy Robinson.

I bet Kim King & Co. are fuming at themselves for not laying down the law and insisting that Braine follow through with the Robinson hire.

ahsoisee, thanks for the response. I can't argue that maybe the best thing Mac did in the Seattle Bowl was to simply get out of the way. If you look at his résumé post on the University of Texas web site and compare it to CG's on the GT web site. I don't see a lot of differences other than NFL experience which does not offer any creditability in college.

I have never said Mac should have been hired over anyone else. I have only stated that he should have been looked at harder. If he is as bad as you say and Roof and O’Brien are as good as you say why was he named interim head coach over them?

Maybe I am just plain naïve or just plain stupid but I don’t see influential alumni withdrawing contributions because a UGA grad is coaching the team. He is a winner and with winning the alumni will be happy. I am absolutely sure of one thing, Mac would not have lost to UGA by 44 points. If he did it would have been with a motivated team not one with its head in the sand.

For the record the only person I said Tech should have absolutely pursued was Ty Willingham but the powers that be chose not to even make a phone call to him. The only person I said absolutely should not have been hired was Chan Gailey. Look where the two are a year later. One should be Coach of the Year and the other should be fired.

Originally posted by GMC 68:

For the record the only person I said Tech should have absolutely pursued was Ty Willingham but the powers that be chose not to even make a phone call to him. The only person I said absolutely should not have been hired was Chan Gailey. Look where the two are a year later. One should be Coach of the Year and the other should be fired.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Willingham's agent is based in Atlanta. The GT job was seen as a lateral move from Stanford, albeit w/GT's program much more storied. However, Willingham had a $1mil. buyout clause in his contract w/Stanford and was NOT going to leave there unless serious $$$ (read: $1.5 mil+) was put up OR a higher profile program (like Notre Dame) came a calling.

So Braine doesn't know anything about building a winning football program? Wonder what the folks at Va Tech would say to that? We didn't have the type of year we would have liked and have a lot of work to do before next season. But some of the posts on this board really defy logic.

No coach in TECH history has lost to Ugag by that big of a score....not once since the series began in 1893.
Mac would have been an excellent choice for head coach of TECH....but anyone that was considered was much better than Chan. Chan was the absolute worst possible choice.
It was clear by his resume (that Ahso and others tend to worship so much) that Chan was totally unqualifed to be coach at TECH.
He can't coach, he can't motivate, he can't lead, he won't even get out of the way. He does not seem to be very bright.
He was a pitiful choice....and this could have been and WAS seen in advance.
He needs to do the honorable thing and resign and apologize.
But before a new coach is hired, Dave Braine needs to be fired. We cannot let this same group that hired Chan have anything to do with hiring the next coach. That would be a recipe for disaster....even worse than the disaster of Chan.
This cannot be a surprise to anyone because it was forewarned a year ago.

Does anyone remember how Chan came into the equation for consideration?

In the AJC the article said that Larry Morris, ex-player and alum got a call from Doug Dickey the AD at Tenn. and said that Tech need to take a look at Chan. Morris calls DBraine and from then on everything came to a stop! No more looking, just set up meeting Chan and he's hired!

I wonder what Larry Morris is thinking now?
Braine should have been left to his search without these money alums doing the job, but money talks and that's why we're in this sorry state now!

Originally posted by GMC 68:

You can go to the GT web site and see CG’s resume. He has a proven history of not being able to hold a coaching job. He began his coaching profession in 1974. Since then his head coaching career consists of tenures of 2 years, 1 year, 2 years and 2 years. He has not stayed in any coaching position as an assistant for longer than 2 years. He stayed with one NFL team 6 years and another for 4 years. With these two exceptions he has not ever spent more than two years with any team. Does this indicate that past employers have realized their mistake and corrected it?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What a ridiculous statement. Chan has been fired from only one of those jobs, and that was the Dallas Cowboys. Pre-Chan they finished 6-10. Then they went 10-6 and 8-8 in his two seasons at the helm, in the playoffs both years. They have stunk ever since he left, 5-11, 5-11, and 5-7 so far this year.

I can understand concern with the short tenures in Chan's background, but a lot of that was cicumstances and moving up to better jobs as they became available.

He left Troy State for the NFL and stayed with the Broncos 6 years, then took the head job for the Birmingham WLAF team, where he was very successful (playoffs both years) but then the league folded. One year at Samford after that allowed him to avoid moving, then back to the pro ranks for 4 years at Pittsburgh until the head job for the Cowboys opened up. That led to his one firing and the stint in Miami prior to moving here.

I think we are lucky to have Coach Gailey and he will be a big winner given time.

I think we are lucky to have Coach Gailey and he will be a big winner given time.[/QB][/QUOTE]
And I agree 100%

GMC98, whoa, whoa! I did not say O'Brien and Roof were better than Mac. I said he got out of their way and let them coach the offense and defense their way against Stanford. Now, there is no way an AD would have promoted Mac to head coach over O'Brien or Roof who were the coordinators.

That would also have been a rediculous move.

I do not like O'Brien as an offensive coordinator, and, I, personally, want to see him leave Tech. He wanted to go with GOL and even tried with two pro teams. He has done nothing with the offense. I give Godsey most of the credit for any offense we had last year.

I like Roof, but thought it was good to replace him as the DC at Tech.

I like Ty Willingham and thought he would be our next head coach, but as someone above noted, it was going to cost too much to get him.

wink.gif

Back