Are there any doubter’s left?

Accurate assessment GMC! Braine is the problem. What, he gets to slop around as dictator for another 10 years because he hired Hewitt? Where was Braine on Saturday, watching lacrosse or gymnastics or something? Need I remind anyone, there were PLENTY of coaches available and not one of the finalists would have gotten pasted like we did Saturday. Let me pose a question for you continued supporters - just what does it take for you people before you realize this guy has to go?

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
GMC98, whoa, whoa! I did not say O'Brien and Roof were better than Mac. I said he got out of their way and let them coach the offense and defense their way against Stanford. Now, there is no way an AD would have promoted Mac to head coach over O'Brien or Roof who were the coordinators.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahsoisee, I am continually amazed at the comments on why Mac would not have been a good HC. You stated that he got out of the way and let the coordinators do their job. Isn’t that what a good HC, CEO, manager or anybody should do. Get out of the way and let the people that work for you do the hob they were hired to do? I remember a coach that was one of the most successful on college football. He did coach on Saturdays. He simply stood back let his assistants do their job and occasionally kick a players butt when needed. His name was Paul “Bear” Bryant. He learned this technique from another coach of fame – Bobby Dodd. Again I am not saying Mac should have been hired just given more consideration and maybe a different decision would have been arrived at.

I do not like O'Brien as an offensive coordinator, and, I, personally, want to see him leave Tech. He wanted to go with GOL and even tried with two pro teams. He has done nothing with the offense. I give Godsey most of the credit for any offense we had last year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting comment on Godsey. I hadn’t thought about it but I do believe you are right.

I like Roof, but thought it was good to replace him as the DC at Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with your comment on Roof. His performance in the ugag game his senior year is nothing short of heroic. I will love him forever for that game alone.

I like Ty Willingham and thought he would be our next head coach, but as someone above noted, it was going to cost too much to get him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Would that cost have been greater that the cost the current choice is going to cost us? If you want to be a team of national prominence, how much is too much? Since we will always stress academics over athletics (Thank God), is it not worth a larger investment to hire someone who can insure that you achieve both goals? Spending another 3 to 4 hundred thousand in a salary only represents less than 1% of the Athletic Budget.

Just some rambling thoughts. Thanks for your response.
smile.gif

In response to ahsoisee, I do not post often, but I like to keep up with what is going on with GT football. My question for you is, why don't you just come right out and say that you don't like Billy? You clearly have some kind of vendetta against him. What's up? I thought this site was a place to post thoughts about football, not a place to fire a personal attack on someone. Your posts have shown me nothing but ill feelings for BOB. Perhaps you should concentrate on learning a little more about the game itself, and worry about posting something intelligent and insightful about GT football.

I don't know why anyone would hire a physical education major from the University of Florida over a 3.8 GPA Georgia Tech graduate who has a daughter who graduated with a 4.0 at Tech and who was supported by those in the know with the most GT football experience, i.e Kim King?

Phys ed major from Florida over 3.8 Tech graduate Jimmy Robinson a/k/a Mr. Excitement? Doesn't compute to me.

Kingbee, I don't believe I have made any personal attacks against O,Brien, have I?

I have questioned his ability to be an offensive coordinator. I have also posted the many reasons to back up my opinions of his abilities as an OC.

I do not know the man personally, so I have no opinion of the man good or bad. I do have an opinion of his offensive coaching ability and will continue to give my opinions regarding this issue anytime I please.

I will restate the basic reasons I do not consider him as the appropriate coordinator for the Tech job just for you, so you won't have to search through all my earliers posts. If you prefer further proof of my postings, feel free to look back through all of them.

O'Brien was a defensive player in college and not an offensive player. Ralph Friegden was a quarterback until he became too large and then he played on the line. Friegden and Nix, the running back's coach were also quarterbacks.

There is little use in rehashing Ralph's abilities, they are well established. O'Brien's only claim to fame on offense was being in the booth while Friegden was the OC at Tech. The very first game without Ralph (Peach Bowl), BOB bombed.

The following year with a Friegden trained QB, Godsey and Tech went 8-5 with a team predicted to be in the top ten. In my opinion, had it not been for Godsey, it would have been worse. There were innumerable times during last year's games when we had no diversity in our running game, one yard and a cloud of dust with Burns up the middle.

This year, the offensive trend has been downward in his second year. The quarterback play has been attrocious, which indicates BOB does not know anything about developing quarterbacks. It could be easily stated, the returning QBs have digressed instead of progressing.

It is also true, BOB did not desire to stay at Tech and wanted to follow GOL to Notre Dame. When that fell through, he tried to get on with at least two pro teams.

It seems clear to me, he did not want to be at Tech. Combine his non-desire to be at Tech with his apparent inability to be effective as an OC, his inability to develop the quarterbacks, and it is apparent to me he needs to be replaced.

The last reason I think he needs to be replaced is for the unity of player relationships on the team. He has been with the players on the team for several years and is somewhat of a parent to them.

Gailey is the new kid on the block and if any conflict of philosophy between BOB and Gailey exists, many of the players will side with BOB. That is not good, even if BOB were to be right.

All of this has been posted in some of my earlier posts. Even if Gailey is not the man for Tech, it is completely unwise to keep O'Brien around, even if we get another head coach. That is one reason I have suggested Nix as the OC for next year.

Now, go find some post where I have attacked O'Brien personally.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nice response ahsoisee. I have not seen you personally assault BOB. Like most of us you are only commenting on his coaching abilities that he has displayed over the last two years. I for one was upset that a person with not OC experience was put in that position after the Frig left. He has done nothing to prove me wrong.

I did see an interesting post yesterday about making him the HC. Makes you wonder if he does truly motivate the players if he wouldn't do well in that position and get an OC that has some creativity.

officiallybuzz, just because someone posted here about making BOB HC doesn't mean he has any ability to motivate players. I certainly don't know and most who post here have no real clue about what goes on in the program. I don't have anything against BOB, I'm more of the opinion that our execution is more of a problem than play calling. Now that may be his fault, since it all starts with the QBs, but I still say if we had hit some of the long passes he called it would have changed the momentum of most of our games. (Come to think of it is it the WR coach?)

On another train of thought in this thread, I still can't understand the attacks on Braine. I want to be undefeated in football as much as anyone (well as much as any rational fan, there are things I won't condone) but I also want an overall strong athletic program. Right now, with the exception of women's basketball and arguably football, our program is in great shape. We have half way through a stadium renovation project, we have a new Baseball stadium, etc. etc. etc. I just don't see how anyone can question the job Braine is doing as AD. If Chan doesn't get things in shape with the football program, it will be Braine's job to do something about it. Instead of whining about how he won't admit his mistakes, why don't we wait and see if he made one, and if he fixes it if he did.

Back