Are we the most miserable fanbase?

Right off the top of my head: Kentucky in football. Didn't they lose to Tennessee like 20 something years in a row?

Kentucky fans don't really care about football though. They don't mind being terrible. I know several Kentucky grads, and football games are just a time to come together, drink a bunch of bourbon, and get rowdy. They've always been bad and they still sell out all their home games. But they have basketball to tide them over.

I really think it might be us. As over the top as it sounds, we used to be very, very good in both football and basketball and are now mediocre. Our fanbase (on average) is pretty intelligent, so we over-analyze everything (and remember every little thing too). Most GT grads are overachievers, so repeated lack of success is immensely frustrating. When you're not used to mediocrity in your personal life, having your team/school perform poorly in sports they used to dominate is incredibly frustrating.

Plus we have a bunch of whiny-ass pussies on this board.

I'll be honest, from a sports standpoint I haven't been this miserable as a Tech fan maybe ever. Thank God for real life because watching Tech athletics is just like watching paint dry. It's horrible right now.

My dad prepared me a long time ago for being a Tech fan. He said son, it will never be as good as it seems and will never be as bad as it seems. Just be thankful you're not a Bulldawg fan or inbred.

This came up in a Hive thread many years ago, during the CCG era. Somebody from Oklahoma said that OSU fans had pretty much accepted their fate and they were glad to see it close. Despite being called Bedlam by Musberger, they didn't invest in it until OSU became good with Pickens money. They had 13 <6 win seasons from 1989 to 2005, so it was not like they really got their hopes up for a strong team like Tech fans do.

I would say pain is more from what Bane said, it crushes people more to give them hope. That's why I said Michigan and ND as candidates, who have outsize historical success but very little recent success and very little chance of success in the future. I cannot think of any other school which has a comparable level of pain.

Or maybe the concept is best described by the most miserable fans in all of sports: Cubs fans.

Kentucky fans don't really care about football though. They don't mind being terrible. I know several Kentucky grads, and football games are just a time to come together, drink a bunch of bourbon, and get rowdy. They've always been bad and they still sell out all their home games. But they have basketball to tide them over.

Exactly--our ratio of success to expectations is really low. There are plenty of schools with less success, but usually with much lower expectations, or at least a better basketball team.

Sad thing is I'm having deja vu and suspect this thread is a repost from several years ago. :frown:

I was at a dinner with a Kentucky grad recently and we were talking college football. I assumed he was a Louisville grad because my company is based there and is infested with them, but he said no, "Kentucky, SEC baby!". I had to really resist the urge to laugh in his face, especially since ill probably be working for him at some point this year.

I really think it might be us. As over the top as it sounds, we used to be very, very good in both football and basketball and are now mediocre.

I can see basketball in the mid to late 80's early 90's, but when was the football team very good? Pre 60? That's a f****** long time ago.

If you let it get to you then yeah, you'll be miserable. Over my decades-long lifespan of being a Tech fan the painful memories are many.

I also have some great memories --first being Tech winning a MNC in my lifetime. Dad loved to talk about the '52 MNC, so it's great we were able to share one. A '90 final four and '04 finals. Cremins resurrecting the basketball program from nothing to multiple ACC titles and many, many thrilling games. The few and far between football wins over UGA --with '84 at Sanford Stadium being a treasure memory

I suppose when it gets down to it the misery for me comes from being 12-37 in my lifetime against UGA. I could forget the distant past and say, with two wins from the '04-'06 games and a win in '09 and '13, I'd feel somewhat better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, from a sports standpoint I haven't been this miserable as a Tech fan maybe ever. Thank God for real life because watching Tech athletics is just like watching paint dry. It's horrible right now.

Have felt much the same lately, it is all football for me, do not really care much about the other sports though like to see GT do well in anything

But the last few football seasons are mostly blah, no UGA wins (sad but expected) and one lousy bowl win is rather uninspiring

I think the most miserable fans are the ones who post gloom and doom about our prospects for the season because they want to avoid future disappointment but then still moan about how they knew it when we do poorly.

Ignorance is bliss. Tech, Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Washington, and, oh, Pittsburgh fans are all pretty smart and all pretty miserable. I'd say our misery index is pretty close to those schools. Good schools, whose best football days are behind them.

On the other hand, most SEC fanbses are pretty happy thanks to the high proportion of morons in their fanbase.

Notre Dame went to the National Championship year before last! Maybe their expectations are higher than ours, but still. Also pretty sure their basketball team has been to the Tournament lately.

I think the most miserable fans are the ones who post gloom and doom about our prospects for the season because they want to avoid future disappointment but then still moan about how they knew it when we do poorly.

This. And there's a lot of them out there (and on here).

we need to come up with a metric and then apply it. something like number of negative posts as a percentage of all posts on all message boards related to a specific college team. then run the bot and see what turns up.

i think TIA and Cyp can handle this

All I know is I'm basically frothing at the mouth for something good to finally happen. I think we all are.

Back