Artificial Turf Returns?

My mind of course went right to field design. I hope we can lose the drop shadow on the wordmark in the end zone and maybe use the stinger shapes from the uniforms in some way.

EaUUd42XQAAVCD6

EaUUd43WoAAzQf6

EaUUd42XYAEntk6

EaUUd42X0AA-T_S
The first one with the gold background is the no-brainer end zone, IMO. Nothing personal, but I think the stinger stripes would look awful because it would require the block letters to be tiny and stacked on top of each other.

My mind of course went right to field design. I hope we can lose the drop shadow on the wordmark in the end zone and maybe use the stinger shapes from the uniforms in some way.

EaUUd42XQAAVCD6

EaUUd43WoAAzQf6

EaUUd42XYAEntk6

EaUUd42X0AA-T_S

Blue end zones or letters are trash.

#2 is the best look with a stronger gold outline on the endzone letters.

Really dislike the logo in gold outlined in blue that we've been using at Midfield the last several years. Same on the basketball court. Looks muddy and dull. Should always be outlined in white.

One of the best midfield looks has been one of our recent white out games - white GT outlined in gold.

Heat will not be a problem with this turf.

If for no other reason than Friday Night games, Thursday Night games and who knows what to follow.

And I am not totally against this, but appears (given covid shutdowns, etc) that we have disposable income available.

What about AI2020, Emails about giving to A/T, liability (anyone know) of former WBB HC, MBB sanctions, potential turnover of MBB HC if some have their way, rainy day fund already depleted.

Did we get this turf for free?
Is this turf not filled with millions of black rubber pieces? If so I would think heat would absolutely be a problem unless they are running cold water underneath.

It is not clear from the Shaw Sports Turf website whether you can get both Hydrofill and Geofill together. It looks like Hydrofill mixes in a water-absorbing material with the rubber infill. The water in that material evaporates to keep the turf cooler. Geofill is ground coconut husks that has inherent water-absorbing characteristics. The disparate graphs on the separate pages appear to indicate that Hydrofill keeps the surface cooler than Geofill.

Artificial grass has come a long way since that terrible green carpet we had at BDS before O'Leary replaced it with natural grass. The modern turf fields are actually nice to play on and dont tear up knees or burn you like the carpet from the old days. People need to do some research and have an open mind about this.
Balderdash. I already tried one of those horseless carriages so tell Mr Ford to keep his Model A and we'll keep using the horse lane on the interstate.

(I have no opinion other than to ridicule the concerns based on Astroturf's shortcomings.)

I lie, I have an opinion on everything.

Concerts at Bobby Dodd would go a long way toward:

Helping the budget

And

Making a lot of people familiar with and comfortable with our stadium

And

Would generate a lot of positive press

And

Could help maintain and grow our place at the heart of the 404.

If we had the top rappers at BDS monthly or at least quarterly, what do you think that would do for recruiting?

Nobody could match that. Nobody.

(Morpheus might could use that "heart of the 404". Someone could email it to him and at least he could put it in his filing cabinet.)

EaUUd42XQAAVCD6

EaUUd43WoAAzQf6

EaUUd42XYAEntk6

EaUUd42X0AA-T_S
How about a Boise State option? Solid gold turf with white lettering and maybe blue accents.

Last edited:
If the surface gets 115 F on a hot sunny day as some claim, tap water would be a usable heat sink.
Only if you use it as "once pass-thru" meaning you run it thru the pipes and then discard it. Otherwise you are just recirculating 115 º water and you don't want to do that. Water is relatively cheap and you could pass it thru but the Green weenies would frown upon such "wastefulness" and will shut the Athletic Department down.

It is not clear from the Shaw Sports Turf website whether you can get both Hydrofill and Geofill together. It looks like Hydrofill mixes in a water-absorbing material with the rubber infill. The water in that material evaporates to keep the turf cooler. Geofill is ground coconut husks that has inherent water-absorbing characteristics. The disparate graphs on the separate pages appear to indicate that Hydrofill keeps the surface cooler than Geofill.
We will have some night games, a game at MBS, some games in cool weather, maybe a game with rain before or during the game. Heat will probably not be an issue for more than 2 or 3 games a year.

Only if you use it as "once pass-thru" meaning you run it thru the pipes and then discard it. Otherwise you are just recirculating 115 º water and you don't want to do that. Water is relatively cheap and you could pass it thru but the Green weenies would frown upon such "wastefulness" and will shut the Athletic Department down.
I'm not an ME, but doesn't technology exist to recirc the working fluid down into the relatively cooler ground water to cool it? Down here in Florida where the water table is shallow they sometimes use a geo-thermal "assist" to help your air conditioning by passing the fluid thru the ground water. I wonder where the water table is on campus? :dancingwtc:

Think there’s any likelihood of this? Personally hoping for green turf, given that gold can easily look like dead grass.

Back