Artificial Turf Returns?

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
honestly I like the white and gold field, but I'm a weird dude when it comes to this type of stuff.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Anybody read if this will affect the crown? Isnt a flat field more standard with turf?

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
Anybody read if this will affect the crown? Isnt a flat field more standard with turf?
IIRC, BDS hasn't really had a crown for a while (maybe back to the 2002 renovations?). The sophisticated drainage system took care of and ponding water concerns.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
As long as Demetra’s not announcing that toe-meets-leather on the All-Pro AstroTurf then it should be fine -though if I was a player, I would prefer natural grass over rubber pellets.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
As long as Demetra’s not announcing that toe-meets-leather on the All-Pro AstroTurf then it should be fine -though if I was a player, I would prefer natural grass over rubber pellets.
There aren’t any rubber pellets in the turf we’re getting. TBH if I were a player I’d prefer this new turf over grass for anything other than early season noon games (heat).

18in32

Petard Hoister
There isn't an issue. In any group of our fans, at least 10% will be unhappy regardless.
If we were to play for a national championship in Cowboys stadium in Texas, folks would whine it should be the rose bowl.
The main thing fans complain about is other fans. Like I just did.

18in32

Petard Hoister
That storm sewer didn't go anywhere. BDS Peters Park Russ Chandler all sit in a hole and that water has to go somewhere. I think it runs north into Peachtree Creek. If anything that system was rehabbed.
Peachtree Creek is three miles north of those facilities. I don't know where the water goes but if it goes to Peachtree Creek it goes through some other waterways to get there.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Yes geo thermal tech can take the water down into the earth where the ground can be as cool as mid 50’s F.
Problem is the water table is pretty thin inside town. There is bedrock near the surface everywhere. In Florida they have much deeper porous media carrying the groundwater. You could potentially recirculate and exchange heat with the bedrock, and this is done in some areas to manage air temps in houses, but it would involve a lot of costly deep drilling and such a system would be really challenging to maintain/service.

I think a looped system with heat exchangers to the air would be really cool (pun intended). Especially if they're separate systems for the two different sidelines.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
Peachtree Creek is three miles north of those facilities. I don't know where the water goes but if it goes to Peachtree Creek it goes through some other waterways to get there.
I would bet that the pipes under BD, Peters Park, head north. I say this because in the summer of 1993 a big sinkhole opened up under the parking lot of the hotel sitting at the corner of the Connector and 14th (SW corner) during an early morning, monstrous rain storm. I don't recall if anyone died but several cars dropped into the hole. Someone back then told me that that pipe that collapsed was connected to the storm sewers that run through campus. I believe Peachtree Creek is the closest point where all that water could go. Topographically, it makes sense.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I would bet that the pipes under BD, Peters Park, head north. I say this because in the summer of 1993 a big sinkhole opened up under the parking lot of the hotel sitting at the corner of the Connector and 14th (SW corner) during an early morning, monstrous rain storm. I don't recall if anyone died but several cars dropped into the hole. Someone back then told me that that pipe that collapsed was connected to the storm sewers that run through campus. I believe Peachtree Creek is the closest point where all that water could go. Topographically, it makes sense.
Looks like this is a photo of it. Two people died apparently.