At what point do you scrap your ridiculous coward gameplan?

CJ if you want to blame the frosh QB and the recievers, fine. Just remember who was responsible for putting them in the lineup.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
DustJacket...

Also, going for a quick strike TD runs the risk
of putting a dog tired defense right back on the
field if you cannot grind up some clock.

Again...we moved the ball inside the BYU 20 twice
in the 4th quarter using Gailey's "cowardly" plan.

You guys who are bashing Gailey's play calling with a true frosh QB are simply looking for something to bitch about IMHO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thinking that an innovative gameplan relies on "going for a quick strike TD" only demonstrates your lack of football knowledge. And the 4th quarter was when Gailey finally tossed his "cowardly" game plan. Or didn't you notice that? But by then it was too late. You guys that defend Gailey at all costs are nothing more than polyannas IMHO.

DJ

Originally posted by GMC 68:
CJ if you want to blame the frosh QB and the recievers, fine. Just remember who was responsible for putting them in the lineup.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So like who else was he gonna play? AJ? Bilbo? Kelly Campbell? Dez White?

Well ,we can bash DustyJ all we want but the bottom line is we scored 6 pts on offense with WHATEVER game plan.We lost by 11 and it could have been more (or less) but we were never really close to winning.We had 105 yds rushing when we HAD to control the ball and clock to win.btw-I never saw Ball reverse out and use his speed on the corner.Also I discussed BEFORE the game the mention by CG that Dixon may play every snap.Can you say "exhausted" so you can't hang on to ball.Funny that Curry AND Dixon touched the ball ONCE and both fumbled it.
Before you ridicule me,check out that I picked a score of 14-24 in the Ahsoisee poll.BYU is not a bad team but some better innovation has got to be used in the Offense (than what we showed )to score points because fumbles and ints happen.You've got to overcome it.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:You guys who are bashing Gailey's play calling with
a true frosh QB are simply looking for something
to bitch about IMHO.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">While I won;t agree with DustJacket 100% (Who I feel is bitching WAY too much) I will say that CG's playcalling last night was weak Cracker. If you cannot see that then sorry.

1.) We did NOT show multiple formations.
2.) Once Ball proved he could play, the playcalling was still limited. a.) We didn;t throw over the middle until the very end and b.) Reggie hardly played on the corners.
3.) If you have a true freshman with speed, you got to play out on the corners of the tackles to allow him to make plays. CJ confined him.

The playcalling on offense was one of the most disappointing things about last night. There were plenty of things to bitch about, but that was numero uno. And were not reaching for excuses to bitch. If anything I wish Gailey would silence the masses, but he didn;t do that at all.

Originally posted by DustJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
DustJacket...

You guys who are bashing Gailey's play calling with a true frosh QB are simply looking for something to bitch about IMHO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thinking that an innovative gameplan relies on "going for a quick strike TD" only demonstrates your lack of football knowledge. And the 4th quarter was when Gailey finally tossed his "cowardly" game plan. Or didn't you notice that? But by then it was too late. You guys that defend Gailey at all costs are nothing more than polyannas IMHO.

DJ
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dustjacket you need to shut the %$#! up. Calling someone's gameplan "Cowardly", is damn ignorant on your part. I understand your frustration completely, but that statement is ridiculous, and now your just whining uncontrollably. Calling a Gameplan "cowardly" is stupid. I don't doubt that Chan held the frosh back some, I'll agree with you there, but Cowardly? Give me a f--king break. It's the first game of the season with a frosh QB and inexperience in the backfield. Quit your bitching.

BOR.. I agree somewhat..I think we should have gotten Ball out on the corners on some more runs (The Espn guys said that) But as far as passing downfield that is ALWAYS the last lightbulb to go on with a young QB. Reggie missed on several long passes last night..Chan is not stupid he saw that as i did..The playbook will in fact be limited with Reggie for a while..Gottfrie and Malone on Espn said that all night long..They are Football people and do know a little...

I would like to see Reggie run a little more and take advantage of his speed.We should see that more in the next couple of Games...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
DustJacket...

DJ
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's funny - you guys that attack Chan 24/7 are nothing more than keyboard cowards imho.

I notice you never once explained how Chan's game plan caused our turnovers.

I also notice that you dropped your football knowledge "superiority" with our drives. Let's see:

18 yards
ended in a punt. no mistakes. first drive for a true frosh qb.
30 yards
ended in points
38 yards
ended in points
8 yards
ended in a turnover
21 yards
ended in a punt
8 yards
ended at halftime
68 yards (of which 15 are cougar penalty yards)
ended in a turnover. besides, since when did penalty yards not count?
14 yards
ended in a turnover
63 yards (of which 30 are cougar penalty yards)
ended in a turnover

Let's see - you want long drives, but you're happy when we start outside our 40. Maybe *you* need a book on football.

Frankly, if I see a drive chart that has only three punts out of ten drives, I don't think we're doing all that bad playcall-wise. When we give them the ball four times, though, we can't expect to win, no matter what sort of offensive strategy we have.

Parkin Jacket...

You said what ive been wanting to say for some time now..On these internet boards you have a Majority that are computer geeks that absolutley know anything about Football..Im not naming names but that is always the case...

The key for these Geeks is to listen to Real Football People like KIm King and John Davis Mike Gottfrey,Mark Malone.. The playbook had LITTLE to do with last night (You can dissect any game Plan from the Tampa Bay Bucs on down and find flaws) I will REPEAT..Costly Turnovers And the lack of Depth lost our game last night...Without two of those turnovers its a different ballgame..With those 10 Players we lost we WIN the game...No way even in that thin air would BYU have that incredible time of possesion advantage and wore our defense out..JUST NO WAY.....

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
Dustjacket you need to shut the %$#! up. Calling someone's gameplan "Cowardly", is damn ignorant on your part.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And how is that? Obviously CG was AFRAID to loosen up on Ball's reigns until it was too late. Unable to make any kind of adjustments, he finally bailed in the 4th quarter. A loss is a loss is a loss. Whether we lose letting Ball play his game, or whether we lose strangling Ball with some halfass gameplan of anemic rushing attack. I am through commenting on this game. Its obvious, CG dropped the ball. Let's see how he does against a team thats not a basement Mountain West team.

DJ

At what point do you scrap your ridiculous coward gameplan? How bout when its obvious that you are gonna lose the damned game? Its late in the 3rd quarter and you have NOT scored an offensive touchdown all nite. Maybe you realize something, "Hey Im an idiot. Im so afraid of Reggie losing the game for us, that I am screwing us myself".. Damn it Gailey, take the reigns off, so Ball makes mistakes. Big damn deal. You are making enough to kill any chance of a winning season. If you don't want your defense draggin ass at the end of the game, you call plays that allows your offense to convert. This was probably our easiest game of the year, and you looked positively befuddled.

Gailey has his built in excuse for the whole year. If his play calling is questioned, he blames it on the inexperience of a frosh qb. If he loses the game, he blames it on the inability to make plays due to inexperience of his frosh qb. How bout once again, you didnt have the team ready to play a whole game.

DJ
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't you remember driving down the field, Ball completes a pass to Smith, and Smith fumbles it?

Don't you remember driving down the field, inside BYU's 30, and Ball threw an INT?

Don't you remember driving down the field, inside BYU's 20 and Ball completes a pass to Dixon, and Dixon fumbled it?

Don't you remember driving down the field, ball completes the pass to Curry, and Curry fumbled it?

I guess thats was all a part of the game plan.

Point is, we moved the ball well, but stupid mistakes killed us. That wasn't part of the game plan. No-one can expect to win with 4 turnovers, esp 3 inside the opponents 20 yard line.

Originally posted by kirbee:

We had two RBs in the backfield half the night.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GA. TECH RUSHING NO. YDS. AVG. TD
P.J. Daniels 16 56 3.5 0
Reggie Ball 5 39 7.8 0

How many RBs do you see in the stats? The ballboy was at the game also and he doesnt show up in the stats either. I dont care where they were using Dixon, he wasn't a running back. Maybe an h-back is more accurate. Nice one dimensional running game. No reverses, end arounds, nada. Plain vanilla. Defend it all you want, it only demonstrates your ignorance.

DJ

Originally posted by Beezoner:It's a miracle we can even field a competitive team, and you guys keep asking for the 1979 Steelers. Unbelievable.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That quote is quite simply ridiculous. That attitude is for losers. I'm not saying I disagree with you completely. I hear you loud and clear. But to think we cannot maintain a level of winning that sees 10 win seasons regularly is quite simply FOR LOSERS.

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
Point is, we moved the ball well
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here are our drives:
18 yards
30 yards
38 yards
8 yards
21 yards
8 yards
68 yards (of which 15 are cougar penalty yards)
14 yards
63 yards (of which 30 are cougar penalty yards)

I dont know what game you were watching, but I dont consider this moving the ball well. and when your opponent's time of possession is double yours, you arent moving the ball well. I hate to be impolite, but some of you guys should invest in some books about football. Feel free to double check my stats and while you are at it, tell me how many times we started outside of our own 40..

DJ

Back