Athens rumor: Smart to ND after playoff completion..

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I don't think he can pass the background checks. I mean, O'Leary had better academic credentials.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Kirby’s not going anywhere. If UGA wins out, his agent is a shark, the deal he will get will eclipse the deal Lincoln Reilly got to go to USC. He set the new bar. I’m probably wrong but I also think Saban has a clause in his contract where his contract may get adjusted to always keep him the highest paid coach in the country.
Nope. He gone.

MatatoGT

Damn Good Rat
I’m probably wrong but I also think Saban has a clause in his contract where his contract may get adjusted to always keep him the highest paid coach in the country.
Saban’s deal guarantees his pay to be at least the average of the top 3 in the SEC or top 5 nationally, whichever is greater.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
He’s just not a guy I see hanging with the Cajuns and good ole boys so it seems like this experiment may not end well but, I guess we will see.
I think that Kelly is just trying to go out on top salary-wise. He will be gone in 3 years.

Last edited:

cincytechie

Jolly Good Fellow
It's much more likely that Smart takes over for Saban when he retires (hopefully soon). But money speaks. If ND offers him to be the highest paid coach in the country with a lengthy contract, you do not turn that down. Simple business sense.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
It's much more likely that Smart takes over for Saban when he retires (hopefully soon). But money speaks. If ND offers him to be the highest paid coach in the country with a lengthy contract, you do not turn that down. Simple business sense.
There is a point where money really isn't worth more than happiness. $7 million a year (probably more starting next year) to coach at your alma mater and have the resources to win a title is probably that point. Money always plays a role but I don't think it is the primary factor for most coaching moves at high-level P5 schools.

ATLNative

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Kirby is building something from the ground up, UGA won’t let him slip away. You’re right most of these situations boil down to money but he’s definitely not going to Bama after Saban and doubt ND would be a fit. Not sure they would make it through one of Kirby’s practices. . In either case neither will outbid UGA financially. UGA’s athletic financial war chest is massive and growing.

ATLNative

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Saban’s deal guarantees his pay to be at least the average of the top 3 in the SEC or top 5 nationally, whichever is greater.
Thank you, I knew there was something in his contract that didn’t allow him to fall to far behind the pack. No telling what he makes from endorsements and tv appearances,etc.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
All joking aside, if there's one thing I've noticed through the years, it's that ND is a safer job than UGA. At ND, you can coast on some bullshit past glory, win 10 games and ass your way into the playoff, get hammered, and their fans are fine with it.

UGA is a different beast. If they don't win the national title this year, I guarantee that at least some portion of that inbred, window-licking fanbase will start calling for Kirby to go. They don't win it next year, and he may as well pack his ööööing bags. Because those idiots have set the bar way too high. They ran Richt off. They'll do it again.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Kirby’s not going anywhere. If UGA wins out, his agent is a shark, the deal he will get will eclipse the deal Lincoln Reilly got to go to USC. He set the new bar. I’m probably wrong but I also think Saban has a clause in his contract where his contract may get adjusted to always keep him the highest paid coach in the country.
And what if......Bama beats them twice and sends them home with their dawgie tails between their legs? Balls removed.

wesgt123

Varsity Lurker
No one has posted a source yet. Yes a rumor…but from where?

ATLNative

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
All joking aside, if there's one thing I've noticed through the years, it's that ND is a safer job than UGA. At ND, you can coast on some bullshit past glory, win 10 games and ass your way into the playoff, get hammered, and their fans are fine with it.

UGA is a different beast. If they don't win the national title this year, I guarantee that at least some portion of that inbred, window-licking fanbase will start calling for Kirby to go. They don't win it next year, and he may as well pack his ööööing bags. Because those idiots have set the bar way too high. They ran Richt off. They'll do it again.
Allen, you are 100% right. I wish you weren’t but you are. I couldn’t deal with the idiots bitching about Stetson Bennett starting ahead of JT Daniels or the Kirby’s going to blow it we need to get rid of him. It’s only about 5% but it’s a loud 5% who have probably only been fans for a couple years.

ATLNative

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
And what if......Bama beats them twice and sends them home with their dawgie tails between their legs? Balls removed.
That’s certainly a possibility. An outcome that I know and understand you guys are hoping for. Very few people beat Nick Saban but we will see what happens.

Zaac2000

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
At this point in time, what does Notre Dame have that Georgia doesn't have? Georgia beats them in recruiting, in facilities, in revenue. He should stay where he is. Unless jobs open up at Bama, Ohio State, or big money Texas, this should be a no-go IMO.