Atlanta clothing brands signing mutts NIL

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Will there be anything to stop, say a turf installation company, from "overcharging" the school for services and in turn throwing money at recruits...essentially the school paying players?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
That’s wrong in my opinion too.

if any of you think that this kind of stuff is good for Georgia Tech athletics I respectfully disagree. This will only further widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots. The gap between the University of Georgia, Clemson and Georgia Tech football just got even wider.

instead of getting a win against one of those programs every 4-5 years it will be once or twice in a lifetime.
Alabama has won 6 of the last 12 national championships. Clemson has positioned itself right there with Alabama. The top 10 recruiting schools haven’t change in 10 years. This isn’t going to widen the gap because the gap is already ridiculous.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
That’s wrong in my opinion too.

if any of you think that this kind of stuff is good for Georgia Tech athletics I respectfully disagree. This will only further widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots. The gap between the University of Georgia, Clemson and Georgia Tech football just got even wider.

instead of getting a win against one of those programs every 4-5 years it will be once or twice in a lifetime.

It'll stay the same against those behemoths. We might be able to pick up steam against our mid-tier brethren.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Alabama has won 6 of the last 12 national championships. Clemson has positioned itself right there with Alabama. The top 10 recruiting schools haven’t change in 10 years. This isn’t going to widen the gap because the gap is already ridiculous.
Correct. And the talent gap will never get wider than Kirby recruiting vs CPJ recruiting

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
So is there a limit to what can be paid? Are these supporters allowed to be there during the recruits visit? No telling what Arch Manning is going to get paid

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Yea, it’s bad for Tech. Those paying players can now do it legally. The bagmen will be more brazen and the money being thrown around by the factories will be more obvious.
Alternatively, institutions like Tech can compete for those players by promising them a base amount of money that should satisfy most of their needs and wants, and make up for the 3-4 years of money differentials they may earn from an Alabama, through the value of a Tech degree which would earn them far more in the decades of productive working years post even the longest NFL career they could possibly have.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
If there is no limit, can a booster just give the money to a sports agent and go ahead and have the kid under contract and say he is used to advertise the sports agent's business?

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Alternatively, institutions like Tech can compete for those players by promising them a base amount of money that should satisfy most of their needs and wants, and make up for the 3-4 years of money differentials they may earn from an Alabama, through the value of a Tech degree which would earn them far more in the decades of productive working years post even the longest NFL career they could possibly have.
I know you want to believe this

clapper

Dodd-Like
If there is no limit, can a booster just give the money to a sports agent and go ahead and have the kid under contract and say he is used to advertise the sports agent's business?
I think you know the answer to that.

Here's the law:

https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislation/document/20212022/202577

Some points:

Compensation must be market value. There isn't a market yet, how will that be set?

Allows for the athletes to have representation for their deals, including the use of sports agents.

Requires the school to have a training program (money management, taxes, etc.). So, Tech is not cutting edge here with the earlier linked program.

Allows schools to set up a pool (escrow account) for all athletes that will require those with NIL contracts to contribute (no more than 75% of compensation), which is distributed pro rata to all athletes upon graduation or one year after leaving.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Aren't all the players listed in the Onward Reserve article white guys? That could get real interesting...

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Anything that shakes up the s***show we have now is a good thing. The dark money is what's killing CFB. Let players get paid in the light of day, and the bagmen have to ramp up their game to keep the players flowing, hopefully unsustainably so.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Onward Reserve is a men's apparel brand launched by Georgia graduate TJ Callaway, popular in SEC and Southern circles. Kirby Smart, Trevor Lawrence and Jake Fromm have all been spotted in Onward Reserve gear, and so Callaway is leveraging the new rules to market to dudes of a certain demographic.

Certain demographics? What could go wrong lol
I've got one piece of Onward Reserve gear:

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
If the NIL widens the gap and makes it harder for Tech to compete, then we can go Bobby Dodd and quit the NCAA for an alternate college athletics organization.

But I think there would actually be a lot of pushback if the gap widens. There are a lot more schools that aren't Alabama or Clemson than there are Alabama or Clemson, and they have the majority of the fans. Who is going to want to play ball if the game is rigged?

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
Anything that shakes up the s***show we have now is a good thing. The dark money is what's killing CFB. Let players get paid in the light of day, and the bagmen have to ramp up their game to keep the players flowing, hopefully unsustainably so.
Agreed. It's going to be interesting to see how trackable NIL earnings are so that comparisons can be made between conferences, schools, position groups, etc. This process is basically bringing all of the bag-man stuff out into the open.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Every day I get closer to walking away from college football and not looking back.
Not being snarky but when was college football ever "pure"? Was it better for you when you just assumed those Bama or UGA players were getting paid but didn't know for sure? Did you ever think a majority of football players were real students? Now the CFP era seems to have changed things for the worse, unexpectedly, so if that's what you're belly aching about then I agree. The old saying be careful what you wish for has come true and now college football is scrambling to fix the mess.

clapper

Dodd-Like
Having had time to think about it, these guys getting paid to endorse items are screwing up. The Georgia law only allows them to sign for market rates. The money isn't in working for someone else. It's working for yourself. Get a ghost writer for a book. Become a rap/hip hop artist. Have your own line of clothing. You have to charge the going rate for the book/concert/apparel, but you aren't limited to the volume you can sell. That's really bringing the bagman out into the open.