Attendance?

Can you show me the math for TV dollars > live attendance? I agree that's the current way it's viewed, but what I'm positing is that AAs do not well understand the impacts they're having on live attendance by catering to TV viewership and are not accounting properly for the impacts on the programs. I could very well be wrong, as I have made no effort to put numbers to it myself, but would be curious what the current numbers and assumptions around this topic are.
Here's the Math:

In the SEC and the B1G Ten each school gets $55million in TV-Media-Radio Money each year before 1 Ticket is ever sold

With a Max of 7 home Gms, assuming a Team with a 100K Stadium like Bama "nets" $4 Million per home Gm it is very easy to see why TV rules CFB.

I admit that I have no idea how much money a P5 school makes from their 12-13 home MBB Games.

I think the PA, start time, etc. are just excuses for people who, at the core of it, just didn’t care that much about coming anyway. I wish we weren’t driving people away, but they had one foot out the door already.

I still believe that some of our drop off this year is Covid-related, either directly (people scared to come - I know a few of these) or indirectly (pissed off by policies, or just realized last year that they didn’t really need to come).

JRjr
The PA music is 100 percent of the reason I do not attend games anymore. I do not like losing, I do not like Coach Collins, I dislike that we now have fake grass instead of real grass, and I dislike games at MBS. However, none of those things would keep me from going to the games. I am a lifelong GT fan and graduated EE 1988. I have been through a lot of losing seasons but still attended games. I had season tickets from 2008 - 2020 and attended every home game until the middle of last season. I attended every fan day and spring game during that time. I absolutely hate the nonstop PA music and that is why I stopped attending games. I cannot concentrate on the game with the music playing and it kills the game day atmosphere. I come to watch the game and hear the band. The PA music kills the natural flow of cheering, booing, and yelling. I do not like the type of music that is played but I would also hate it if music I like were played. We can listen to our music any time we want but can only hear the Tech band at sporting events. I always told everyone that I loved going to the games so much more than watching them on tv. That has all changed because it is a miserable experience being at the game having loud music assault your senses for four hours.

The PA music is 100 percent of the reason I do not attend games anymore. I do not like losing, I do not like Coach Collins, I dislike that we now have fake grass instead of real grass, and I dislike games at MBS. However, none of those things would keep me from going to the games. I am a lifelong GT fan and graduated EE 1988. I have been through a lot of losing seasons but still attended games. I had season tickets from 2008 - 2020 and attended every home game until the middle of last season. I attended every fan day and spring game during that time. I absolutely hate the nonstop PA music and that is why I stopped attending games. I cannot concentrate on the game with the music playing and it kills the game day atmosphere. I come to watch the game and hear the band. The PA music kills the natural flow of cheering, booing, and yelling. I do not like the type of music that is played but I would also hate it if music I like were played. We can listen to our music any time we want but can only hear the Tech band at sporting events. I always told everyone that I loved going to the games so much more than watching them on tv. That has all changed because it is a miserable experience being at the game having loud music assault your senses for four hours.
So tell us, really, how do you feel about the "money down" - especially when we are down 4 TD's

Absolutely. I attend church a couple miles from the Tech campus, with lots of Tech students and recent graduates. But on Sundays it's the guys wearing Auburn and Florida polos who are constantly talking about Saturday's games.
Look at those teams records over the past 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

Also, what percentage of students at UF and Auburn are in-state, and grew up on Auburn and UF football? And what percentage of Tech students come from Asia and don't know if a football is stuffed or blown up?

Simple solution:

Do like the old Guys used to do and go to the Game with a Radio and then plug in some in-ear headphones and listen to the Radio Broadcast while watching the game, that way you should hear our Radio Broadcast over the music that bothers you so much.

So much love for this post.

But it's the same deal in the NFL - even worse. Three plus straight hours of LOUD rap music was one of the reasons I surrendered my Redskins season tickets a few years ago. They have been losers for 30 years, and I can take that (not even really a huge Redskins fan anyway - I just used to enjoy live football). But the only way to make it through three plus hours of that crap costs $8 a cup at FedEx field, and I can't drive home drunk.

So much love for this post.

But it's the same deal in the NFL - even worse. Three plus straight hours of LOUD rap music was one of the reasons I surrendered my Redskins season tickets a few years ago. They have been losers for 30 years, and I can take that (not even really a huge Redskins fan anyway - I just used to enjoy live football). But the only way to make it through three plus hours of that crap costs $8 a cup at FedEx field, and I can't drive home drunk.

Even baseball games are getting bad now. Loud music or the PA imploring the crowd to chant or some sort of ad in between every pitch. It sucks.

But still -- if the team is winning, fans somehow find a way to overcoming those sucky things and come to the games.

I totally agree with all the various factors listed in this thread that have affected and continue to affect attendance. But I became aware of a new one a few weeks ago that might also contribute in some measure to the problem. It hasn't stopped me from attending games (nor have any of the other factors named), but it definitely pisses me off. I think the HC should at least try to relate to the fans sometimes and not just brush us off the way Collins did a few weeks ago in a press conference. Ken of the AJC asked a valid question about the fans' response to the play on the field, and Collins just brushed him off with a smirk on his face and left the room. This to me is unacceptable.

Look at those teams records over the past 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

Also, what percentage of students at UF and Auburn are in-state, and grew up on Auburn and UF football? And what percentage of Tech students come from Asia and don't know if a football is stuffed or blown up?

We had a LB a few years ago (Rees, I think) that was criticized for saying something like “half the GT students don’t even know that we have a football team.” Any of you remember that?
So our relatively small student body that comes from around the country and then has large portions of our disinterested graduates heading elsewhere for employment, is supposed to support our lousy football team at the same level as a Southern state university, particularly one that has an inherent financial advantage thru their conference TV package? And we demand that our program compete on an equal or better level???

Last edited:
1) Attendance was more consistent before 2008

2) 2009 and 2015 stand out as good years: year after beating UGA and a good season overall; plus UGA and Clemson both at home.

3) 2012 was a poor year

4) Attendance clearly shows decline starting in 2016

5) COVID screwed up lot of stuff that isn’t back to normal

6) Clemson had at least 2 nearly empty sections; upper sideline corners.

Simple solution:

Do like the old Guys used to do and go to the Game with a Radio and then plug in some in-ear headphones and listen to the Radio Broadcast while watching the game, that way you should hear our Radio Broadcast over the music that bothers you so much.
I used to do that as an old guy . . . of 10. On my transistor radio. Circa 1970. Ear speaker in one ear; one ear free to hear the chants, the cheers, the band music, and the ambience.

Didn't you read the dude say he liked to hear the band, and the PA music kills the natural flow of cheering, booing, and yelling? You're gonna need some Bose-level noise canceling cans to get past that LOUD stadium music now. And once you do that . . . and go into isolation mode . . . might as well watch the games at home where the weather is always pleasant, the beer is cheap, and you don't have to drive home afterwards.

If Clemson as one of the top 2 programs of the last decade, playing a night game at home with a rabid fan base in a small college town (with little else to do in the area) isn't sold out, that tells me that just winning won't necessarily solve all the problems. It will certainly help, no doubt, but college football across the board isn't seeing the same attendance as it is used to.

I would expect attendance to decline as the factory advantages become bigger with the NIL stuff and reduces the already small number of teams that have a chance at a playoff.

It will be interesting to see if fan attendance across the sport (not just at the very best programs) returns to pre-coivd levels.

When you search online for GT Athletics, look at some the questions apparently commonly asked... :crazy:

Screenshot (3).png

1) Attendance was more consistent before 2008

2) 2009 and 2015 stand out as good years: year after beating UGA and a good season overall; plus UGA and Clemson both at home.

3) 2012 was a poor year

4) Attendance clearly shows decline starting in 2016

5) COVID screwed up lot of stuff that isn’t back to normal

Attendance took its first BIG hit, when DRad was AD, and he out-of-the-blue instituted the ticket fees. Obviously, that was something that had to be done, but he didn't handle it very well, and a lot of apparently cheap-skate Tech fans didn't like it and gave up their tickets. My section of seats in the upper east, where I had sat since 1967, had as much as 50% less occupancy the following season. Prior to that my section and the one next to it were virtually packed. It has gone down steadily ever since.

They really need to do something different with the gameday music/PA stuff. Pre-game, sure, play some music the players and recruits like when the band isn't playing. During the game, on a big 3rd down, playing music through the PA system actually brings the crowd noise down. When a song starts playing (especially a hip hop song), it's not really a natural reaction to start yelling, it's more natural to try and listen to the song. Whenever the band plays big simple loud notes and chords, it's much more natural to yell and make noise. It may be possible that the AA doesn't care about a homefield atmosphere built on fan participation.

Semi-related, at the Pitt game, Pitt had just scored to go up like 49-14. We had a media timeout, so the announcer yelled, "who wants a free T-Shirt!!?!??!" like there weren't 1000 fans leaving the stadium. Then, playing music over the PA system so loud I couldn't hear my wife talking while we were in the upper north. It's embarrassing. I don't know if we're just not with the times as far as gameday experiences go, but it's really bad.

They really need to do something different with the gameday music/PA stuff. Pre-game, sure, play some music the players and recruits like when the band isn't playing. During the game, on a big 3rd down, playing music through the PA system actually brings the crowd noise down. When a song starts playing (especially a hip hop song), it's not really a natural reaction to start yelling, it's more natural to try and listen to the song. Whenever the band plays big simple loud notes and chords, it's much more natural to yell and make noise. It may be possible that the AA doesn't care about a homefield atmosphere built on fan participation.

Semi-related, at the Pitt game, Pitt had just scored to go up like 49-14. We had a media timeout, so the announcer yelled, "who wants a free T-Shirt!!?!??!" like there weren't 1000 fans leaving the stadium. Then, playing music over the PA system so loud I couldn't hear my wife talking while we were in the upper north. It's embarrassing. I don't know if we're just not with the times as far as gameday experiences go, but it's really bad.
I heard a couple of years ago from a former band member who still stays connected to the band that they had been instructed NOT to play except at certain times (after scores, 3rd quarter Budweiser song, and a few other times). They used to play pretty much at will during the games, and that always resulted in fan and especially student interaction. I guess somebody somewhere thought blaring pop music was more conducive to excitement than the natural excitement of the band and cheerleaders.

I think they have gotten the music and stuff right about 90% of the time this year. It is much improved over 2 years ago and improved over last year.

During Timeouts, they do something Tech related on the board, or fan related, let the band play, then have a football media moment (hype video or music)

I don’t understand the loud complaint but I’m in the middle of a LW section. Maybe people need to think about moving away from the speakers.

Lastly, Clemson has an actual DJ in the Stadium (or just outside) that spins records. They played rap music for an hour before the game and off and on during. They have a lot of cheesy promotions and fan videos but they love it. Their band is mic’d

We had a DJ for a while, but I guess budget cuts nixed that.

The loud music hasn’t been as much of an annoyance to me this year. We still aren’t using it to our advantage (there was one time against UNC when the game situation called for like “Welcome to the Jungle” and what we got was like “Dancing Queen” - that’s infuriating. But I don’t feel as bludgeoned by the music this year as I did the last couple of years.

That said, “music on the PA” is a super weak-ass reason for a “superfan” to quit coming to games. I’m a superfan and I’ve sat through heat, cold, rain, sickness, etc. to watch games. If you really care, you’ll be there. If the music made you quit, you weren’t much of a fan to start with.

JRjr

While it would not/does not deter me from attending games, I hate the ööööing PA. It is too loud, it does take away from the bands participation in the flow of the game, and I could do without it. As someone else mentioned, I’m not a hip-hop/rap fan, but even if Tom Petty, AC/DC, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was continually being piped into the stadium at a volume so loud that I can’t even talk to people around me, I would still hate it.

That being said, the players seem to enjoy it.

I heard a couple of years ago from a former band member who still stays connected to the band that they had been instructed NOT to play except at certain times (after scores, 3rd quarter Budweiser song, and a few other times). They used to play pretty much at will during the games, and that always resulted in fan and especially student interaction. I guess somebody somewhere thought blaring pop music was more conducive to excitement than the natural excitement of the band and cheerleaders.
I was in the band, and we basically had free reign to play whenever. All throughout the opponent possessions, some timeouts, some quarter breaks. Now it does look like the band is being given like half of 3rd downs, and a few timeouts. The band did play a lot on 1st and 2nd downs, so maybe they the feedback and are trying to find a compromise.

Back