Auburn football fans can't catch a break.

Unless someone can draw a direct line between Auburn and Newton that is filled with money, then the worst that this does is make Auburn look slightly bad and prevent Newton from winning the Heisman trophy.

How come no one is asking what Florida was paying for him?

Not entirely true - if the fans (boosters) will stop tolerating the behavior, they can influence who gets hired as administrators and coaches. It's no guarantee that the problems will completely go away but it would certainly help.

Your own self importance as a fan aside, what exactly did the fanbase do wrong in the Cam Newton recruitment and ultimate commitment?

Your own self importance as a fan aside, what exactly did the fanbase do wrong in the Cam Newton recruitment and ultimate commitment?

Valued winning at all costs over stability. As long as Lowder is pulling the strings, I'm going to err on the side of 'Auburn is guilty'.

Fans (as a group) are pretty damned important - we're the shareholders. I don't claim to have any individual influence but if the entire fanbase decides it wants to run a clean program, then the school would listen.

By the way, Auburn is my 2nd team (married into it). Distant 2nd but 2nd nonetheless.

what exactly did the fanbase do wrong in the Cam Newton recruitment and ultimate commitment?

I don't buy into the fans control things argument, but most Auburn fans I know see nothing wrong with the idea of giving their players some "extra gas money" or doing whatever it takes to stay competitive with Alabama.

So no, they don't "deserve" this, but given their attitude I'm not going to feel sorry for thier fans, as I would if, say, Vandy or Wake Forest were undefeated and had this happen. I'm not happy that it happened either, fwiw.

I guess we should also feel bad for uga fans since they always recruit all this 5* talent that never pans out and gets arrested because the cops in Athens hate football players. Clearly they don't steal the players license and encourage their drunken debauchery. Poor poor fans.

Screw em.

guys this is all a ruse to get him suspended before UGAy plays them Saturday. Don't fall for it.

Its not the fans who chose to go after Newton, it was the coaches and administration. Also, all these cheating mentions are coming out now. Not when Newton came to Auburn from JUCO.

Fans are just the bystanders of the program.

The report said that MSU turned it in to the SEC in January and were asked for follow-up which they received in July. The SEC slowed it down before turning it over to the NCAA. So, yes it did come out during his recruiting from JUCO.

Valued winning at all costs over stability. As long as Lowder is pulling the strings, I'm going to err on the side of 'Auburn is guilty'.

Fans (as a group) are pretty damned important - we're the shareholders. I don't claim to have any individual influence but if the entire fanbase decides it wants to run a clean program, then the school would listen.

By the way, Auburn is my 2nd team (married into it). Distant 2nd but 2nd nonetheless.

Again, I ask what did the fanbase do wrong in the Cam Newton recruitment? What could they have done differently? Answer the ****ing question.

Again, I ask what did the fanbase do wrong in the Cam Newton recruitment? What could they have done differently? Answer the ****ing question.
Well, if the accusations are true I imagine the $200k came from a booster, who is part of the fanbase.

They haven't formed an angry mob and visited Lowder's house.

But, technically, you're right - they're helpless as long as he (and his kind) is around. I still don't feel sorry for them.

Anyone else think UF looks just as bad or worse than Auburn so far? The kid had the stolen laptop issue, got caught cheating 3 times, and would still be at UF if it wasn't for Tebow staying for his senior year.

They haven't formed an angry mob and visited Lowder's house.

But, technically, you're right - they're helpless as long as he (and his kind) is around. I still don't feel sorry for them.

I think it goes back to the Tuberville coup, first the failed one and then the successful one. My understanding is that Alabama's BOR, the Auburn president and Lowder are all intertwined somehow and it has hurt their program as they could be staring at a second probation.

The sad thing is though that I like Auburn and typically cheer for them. I've found their fans and Clemson fans the most agreeable of opposing fanbases. Hopefully a second serious probation would reduce Lowder's influence over the BOR and the president.

Anyone else think UF looks just as bad or worse than Auburn so far? The kid had the stolen laptop issue, got caught cheating 3 times, and would still be at UF if it wasn't for Tebow staying for his senior year.

He was apparently on the verge of expulsion and transferred not because of Tebow staying but because he was about to be expelled. I guess you could say Urb would have pulled some strings to let him evade the allegations somehow, but even at an SEC factory cheating three times isn't going to win any points on the academic side. Maybe you could do that at UGA in the 80's, but all schools, especially UF, would never let that by if it became known to faculty.

But who's to say he wouldn't have done something else that would have gotten him kicked off the team. He has serious character flaws. Sounds like his pious dad did a wonderful job raising him.

I don't buy into the fans control things argument, but most Auburn fans I know see nothing wrong with the idea of giving their players some "extra gas money" or doing whatever it takes to stay competitive with Alabama.

So no, they don't "deserve" this, but given their attitude I'm not going to feel sorry for thier fans, as I would if, say, Vandy or Wake Forest were undefeated and had this happen. I'm not happy that it happened either, fwiw.

I agree that the Top 1-2% of the biggest contributors have ALOT to say about the individual(s) interviewed for HC jobs and thus, type of persons interviewed at every school. To that appreciable extent, the most influential "alumni" have alot of responsibility for the ugly results.

Regarding Auburn, it is no different than the other SEC schools trying to outcheat each other in the frantic annual ratrace to land the best recruits money can buy. Period. If they decided to, they could all probably report each other and ALL would very likely be fair in their accusations.

For those reasons (other than Vandy), I think GT is a complete misfit in the SEC, although I believe there is an element in the GT "family" that would welcome entering that ratrace just to be back in the SEC pretending its 1952 again.

IMO, if some accusor(s) don't come forward very soon with some very specific evidence against Newton, there may well develop a sympathy vote for Cam. And that would be understandable.

As long as Newton plays a role in bludgeoning UGAG, he's AOK with me until proven guilty, in which case he'll just be added to the long list of SEC sleazeballs.

So, what else is new.

Lowder isn't in a position to buy Cameron Newton nowdays unless he has settled the lawsuits against him from his time enriching himself at Colonial BancGroup.

As for Cameron Newton. I hope he breaks one off in UGA's ass - that is as polite as I can put it.

Back