Ayinde Eley - LB - Transfer

AWESOME If the defense takes the big step forward next season that the offense took this past season we are about to be back to bowl games and coastal division titles

Why didn't he start this year?

Found this on a Maryland forum:

Maryland had its sixth player enter the transfer portal Dec. 25 when junior linebacker Ayinde Eley chose to finish his career outside of College Park, Md. Eley, who assumed a backup role in 2020, played in three games this season and finished with 19 tackles and one tackle for loss. He was the subject of a recent team documentary that detailed his comeback from a possible career-ending illness.

The former Good Counsel (Olney, Md.) four-star recruit Eley entered UMD with plenty of fanfare.

So I guess he's transferring for what most people transfer for, more playing time.

Maryland had its sixth player enter the transfer portal Dec. 25 when junior linebacker Ayinde Eley chose to finish his career outside of College Park, Md. Eley, who assumed a backup role in 2020, played in three games this season and finished with 19 tackles and one tackle for loss. He was the subject of a recent team documentary that detailed his comeback from a possible career-ending illness.

The former Good Counsel (Olney, Md.) four-star recruit Eley entered UMD with plenty of fanfare.

So I guess he's transferring for what most people transfer for, more playing time.
Sounds more like he wasn’t finished rehabilitating from the “possible career-ending illness.”

Sounds more like he wasn’t finished rehabilitating from the “possible career-ending illness.”

It's possible that whoever won the starting job was good enough to derail his progression. Either way, he's worth a shot. A guy like that is going to have fire and every determination to want to do well. We could use some of that.

Helps depth in a spot where we need experience. Not sure he is better than Curry though, so I'm not expecting him to vault our defense forward. I'm hopeful one of the young cats can emerge as a difference maker at LB this fall

That was in HS per the video earlier in this thread. Not an issue anymore (according to the video). Seems like he may have been hurt at some point this year but nothing concrete.

Will shore up depth but doesn't seem like the type of player who will take us to the next level.

That was in HS per the video earlier in this thread. Not an issue anymore (according to the video). Seems like he may have been hurt at some point this year but nothing concrete.
My bad. I missed that (haven’t had a chance to watch the whole video).

Remember also that Eley has gone through a coaching transition at MD, as well. Russell Johnson suggests that Locksley was eager to get the guys he recruited on the field over the players he inherited. This is sometimes used as an excuse, but is also a legitimate thing that happens. I think we're looking at a range of possibilities from solid contributor to All-ACC or somewhere in between. I definitely wouldn't assume he's just "depth".

Remember also that Eley has gone through a coaching transition at MD, as well. Russell Johnson suggests that Locksley was eager to get the guys he recruited on the field over the players he inherited. This is sometimes used as an excuse, but is also a legitimate thing that happens. I think we're looking at a range of possibilities from solid contributor to All-ACC or somewhere in between. I definitely wouldn't assume he's just "depth".
Agreed. This mindset of "if he's not the literal messiah then meh" is stupid. This is a definite positive for all involved, and it is okay to be pleased with that without qualification.

Agreed. This mindset of "if he's not the literal messiah then meh" is stupid. This is a definite positive for all involved, and it is okay to be pleased with that without qualification.
While okay, it is not possible for about 40% of our fan base.

Next you will expect most Techies to laugh at humor or not argue about trivial trivialities.

Back