B1G/sec scheduling agreement/CFP ramifications

Preseason polls mean nothing. AP/Coaches Polls mean nothing. If you lose, you’re out. Reference the following:

Preseason #10 FSU
Preseason #17 Oklahoma State
Preseason #22 Kansas
Preseason #24 NCSU
Preseason #25 Iowa

The CFP Poll that comes out in a few weeks is the only poll that matters. The ACC/B12 as currently constructed have a real problem. Simply put, quality headliner matchups.
How many of those dropoouts are in the SEC?
My point is that SEC losers drop out less or not at all relative to the other leagues.
They beat up on each other and hang around longer than "normal".

How is it not about the best teams? There is a mismatch between the ACC/B12 vs the strength of the B1G/SEC from top to bottom. If you match the ACC vs SEC for example down the line, it doesn’t look like a good day for the ACC. Here is how it would look hypothetically today using overall records to date (minus Duke. No way they are the ACC’s #2 team.)

SEC #1 Alabama vs ACC #1 Miami
SEC #2 Texas vs ACC #2 Clemson
SEC #3 uga vs ACC #3 Louisville
SEC #4 Tennessee vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
SEC #5 Mizzou vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
SEC #6 Ole Miss vs ACC #6 SMU or BC
SEC #7 LSU vs ACC #7 SMU or BC
SEC #8 Oklahoma vs ACC #8 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
SEC #9 Texas A&M vs ACC #9 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
SEC #10 South Carolina vs ACC #10 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
SEC #11 Kensucky vs ACC #11 GT, UNC or NCSU
SEC #12 Arkansas vs ACC #12 GT, UNC or NCSU
SEC #13 Vandy vs ACC #13 GT, UNC or NCSU
SEC #14 Auburn or UF vs ACC #14 Stanford or VT
SEC #15 Auburn or UF vs ACC #15 Stanford or VT
SEC #16 Miss State vs ACC #16 FSU

#17 ACC Wake Forest would be the team who would not play in this scenario.

How many games do you see the ACC winning?
Probably 6 to 7. About the same winning percentage between the two conferences since 1990. Roughly 42.28%. Dat SEC is dominate, just dominate over da ACC. A jaw dropping, better than 5 out of 10, but not 6 out of 10, over the last third of a century. The world has never seen such dominance in any sport. We should just forfeit any future contest in cuckitude to the mighty SEC.

Probably 6 to 7. About the same winning percentage between the two conferences since 1990. Roughly 42.28%. Dat SEC is dominate, just dominate over da ACC. A jaw dropping, better than 5 out of 10, but not 6 out of 10, over the last third of a century. The world has never seen such dominance in any sport. We should just forfeit any future contest in cuckitude to the mighty SEC.
The top half of the Sec is far better then the top half of the Acc. Using winning percentage is not that relevant unless you show the winning percentage if the top teams, instead of Wake vs Vandy

The top half of the Sec is far better than the top half of the Acc. Using winning percentage is not that relevant unless you show the winning percentage if the top teams, instead of Wake vs Vandy
Not when the argument is AN ENTIRE CONFERENCE is better than another conference. Besides, there have been stretches where the top ACC teams were regularly beating the top SEC teams.

The top half of the Sec is far better then the top half of the Acc. Using winning percentage is not that relevant unless you show the winning percentage if the top teams, instead of Wake vs Vandy
The question I was responding to, how many do you see the acc winning top to bottom, not how many in the top half, the bottom half, the mid third, the top top or the bottom bottom. Top to bottom, IMHO, 6 to 7. I agree, the top half of the SEC this year is better than the top half of the ACC and would most likely be favored in all those contest, but that wasn't the question.

The arguments here are all wrong. It's not a reward to the B1G/SECheat for having the best teams now, it's a hedge for down the road when they don't. If they have the best teams now, they don't need automatic bids.

Did you gloss over the below as it relates to VT? They are 2-3.

If you don’t see an ocean sized gap between the top 8-10 etc in both leagues I don’t know what to tell you. People on this board have said for over a year that “Clemson is on the decline” and after losing to uga “Dabo is done, it’s over” and yet Clemson will more than likely be the ACC’s #1 team at seasons end. Miami is the ACC’s next best hope? Do you really trust Mario C? Followed by who? UofL or Pitt? These ACC teams just don’t matchup with the other 2 (B1G, sec) top level teams.

So provide the teams the ACC is better than based on what you’ve seen to date?
I think the ACC would match up pretty well against the B1G. After Ohio St I think the ACC would win a lot of games against B1G competition.

From 8 down, it looks pretty even, maybe the ACC with a slight advantage. Sec is pretty strong 1-6. I would say the ACC just doesn't have the 3-4 elite teams it needs to change the perception of the conference. If we had 4 legit top 15 teams, things would look a whole lot different.

If you have time and the desire, do SEC and bigx or maybe SEC/bigx/all others.
Had some time this morning for the first time after an extremely busy week at work before vacation. Here you go.

Note: Before week 6 games.

ACC vs B1G

B1G #1 Ohio State vs ACC #1 Miami
B1G #2 Oregon vs ACC #2 Clemson
B1G #3 PSU vs ACC #3 Louisville
B1G #4 Michigan vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
B1G #5 USC vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
B1G #6 IU vs ACC #6 SMU or BC
B1G #7 Rutgers vs ACC #7 SMU or BC
B1G #8 Illinois vs ACC #8 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #9 Nebraska vs ACC #9 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #10 Iowa vs ACC #10 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #11 Washington vs ACC #11 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #12 MSU vs ACC #12 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #13 Maryland vs ACC #13 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs ACC #14 Stanford or VT
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs ACC #15 Stanford or VT
B1G #16 NW vs ACC #16 FSU
B1G #17 Purdue or UCLA vs ACC #17 Wake

B12 vs SEC

SEC #1 Alabama vs B12 #1 BYU
SEC #2 Texas vs B12 #2 Iowa State
SEC #3 uga vs B12 #3 KSU or Arizona*
SEC #4 Tennessee vs B12 #4 KSU or Arizona*
SEC #5 Mizzou vs B12 #5 Utah
SEC #6 Ole Miss vs B12 #6 Texas Tech or Colorado*
SEC #7 LSU vs B12 #7 Texas Tech or Colorado*
SEC #8 Oklahoma vs B12 #8 ASU or UCF*
SEC #9 Texas A&M vs B12 #9 ASU or UCF*
SEC #10 South Carolina vs B12 #10 Oklahoma State or WVU*
SEC #11 Kensucky vs B12 #11 Oklahoma State or WVU*
SEC #12 Arkansas vs B12 #12 Cincy
SEC #13 Vandy vs B12 #13 Houston
SEC #14 Auburn or UF vs B12 #14 TCU
SEC #15 Auburn or UF vs B12 #15 Baylor
SEC #16 Miss State vs B12 #16 Kansas

B12 vs B1G

B1G #1 Ohio State vs B12 #1 BYU
B1G #2 Oregon vs B12 #2 Iowa State
B1G #3 PSU vs B12 #3 KSU or Arizona*
B1G #4 Michigan vs B12 #4 KSU or Arizona*
B1G #5 USC vs B12 #5 Utah
B1G #6 IU vs B12 #6 Texas Tech or Colorado*
B1G #7 Rutgers vs #7 Texas Tech or Colorado*
B1G #8 Illinois vs B12 #8 ASU or UCF*
B1G #9 Nebraska vs B12 #9 ASU or UCF*
B1G #10 Iowa vs B12 #10 Oklahoma State or WVU*
B1G #11 Washington vs B12 #11 Oklahoma State or WVU*
B1G #12 MSU vs B12 #12 Cincy
B1G #13 Maryland vs B12 #13 Houston
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs B12 #14 TCU
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs B12 #15 Baylor
B1G #16 NW vs ACC #16 Kansas

B1G vs SEC

B1G #1 Ohio State vs SEC #1 Alabama
B1G #2 Oregon vs SEC #2 Texas
B1G #3 PSU vs SEC #3 uga
B1G #4 Michigan vs SEC #4 Tennessee
B1G #5 USC vs B12 #5 Mizzou
B1G #6 IU vs SEC #6 Ole Miss
B1G #7 Rutgers vs SEC #7 LSU
B1G #8 Illinois vs SEC #8 Oklahoma
B1G #9 Nebraska vs SEC #9 Texas A&M
B1G #10 Iowa vs SEC #10 South Carolina
B1G #11 Washington vs SEC #11 Kensucky
B1G #12 MSU vs SEC #12 Arky
B1G #13 Maryland vs SEC #13 Vandy
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs SEC #14 Auburn or UF
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs SEC #15 Auburn or UF
B1G #16 NW vs SEC #16 MSU

I think the ACC would match up pretty well against the B1G. After Ohio St I think the ACC would win a lot of games against B1G competition.
ACC current so called top 5 would struggle vs the B1G top 5. Clemson likely being the only chance at a win.

To date ACC-B1G, we’ve seen 5-0 Duke beat NW (2 OT), UNC over Minnesota, BC over MSU, Maryland over UVA and Rutgers over VT.

6-8 wins against the current B1G above looks like a safe bet.

Not when the argument is AN ENTIRE CONFERENCE is better than another conference. Besides, there have been stretches where the top ACC teams were regularly beating the top SEC teams.
Stretches? When? Here is the ACC vs sec history. Since 1990 the ACC has beaten the sec head to head a total of 8* times.

1990: ACC 4-1
1998: ACC 4-3
1999: ACC 4-2
2002: ACC 5-3
2003: ACC 5-4
2014: ACC 5-3
2016: ACC 10-4
2023: ACC 7-5

2024 the ACC is already 2-5 in 7 games. So in 34 years, the ACC has 8* total winning seasons against the rival conference. That’s not good at all. There’s no excuse for this either. Especially when a good amount of your schools share the same recruiting footprint.

Had some time this morning for the first time after an extremely busy week at work before vacation. Here you go.

Note: Before week 6 games.

ACC vs B1G

B1G #1 Ohio State vs ACC #1 Miami
B1G #2 Oregon vs ACC #2 Clemson
B1G #3 PSU vs ACC #3 Louisville
B1G #4 Michigan vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
B1G #5 USC vs ACC #4 Duke or Pitt
B1G #6 IU vs ACC #6 SMU or BC
B1G #7 Rutgers vs ACC #7 SMU or BC
B1G #8 Illinois vs ACC #8 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #9 Nebraska vs ACC #9 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #10 Iowa vs ACC #10 UVA, Cal or Syracuse
B1G #11 Washington vs ACC #11 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #12 MSU vs ACC #12 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #13 Maryland vs ACC #13 GT, UNC or NCSU
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs ACC #14 Stanford or VT
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs ACC #15 Stanford or VT
B1G #16 NW vs ACC #16 FSU
B1G #17 Purdue or UCLA vs ACC #17 Wake

B12 vs SEC

SEC #1 Alabama vs B12 #1 BYU
SEC #2 Texas vs B12 #2 Iowa State
SEC #3 uga vs B12 #3 KSU or Arizona*
SEC #4 Tennessee vs B12 #4 KSU or Arizona*
SEC #5 Mizzou vs B12 #5 Utah
SEC #6 Ole Miss vs B12 #6 Texas Tech or Colorado*
SEC #7 LSU vs B12 #7 Texas Tech or Colorado*
SEC #8 Oklahoma vs B12 #8 ASU or UCF*
SEC #9 Texas A&M vs B12 #9 ASU or UCF*
SEC #10 South Carolina vs B12 #10 Oklahoma State or WVU*
SEC #11 Kensucky vs B12 #11 Oklahoma State or WVU*
SEC #12 Arkansas vs B12 #12 Cincy
SEC #13 Vandy vs B12 #13 Houston
SEC #14 Auburn or UF vs B12 #14 TCU
SEC #15 Auburn or UF vs B12 #15 Baylor
SEC #16 Miss State vs B12 #16 Kansas

B12 vs B1G

B1G #1 Ohio State vs B12 #1 BYU
B1G #2 Oregon vs B12 #2 Iowa State
B1G #3 PSU vs B12 #3 KSU or Arizona*
B1G #4 Michigan vs B12 #4 KSU or Arizona*
B1G #5 USC vs B12 #5 Utah
B1G #6 IU vs B12 #6 Texas Tech or Colorado*
B1G #7 Rutgers vs #7 Texas Tech or Colorado*
B1G #8 Illinois vs B12 #8 ASU or UCF*
B1G #9 Nebraska vs B12 #9 ASU or UCF*
B1G #10 Iowa vs B12 #10 Oklahoma State or WVU*
B1G #11 Washington vs B12 #11 Oklahoma State or WVU*
B1G #12 MSU vs B12 #12 Cincy
B1G #13 Maryland vs B12 #13 Houston
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs B12 #14 TCU
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs B12 #15 Baylor
B1G #16 NW vs ACC #16 Kansas

B1G vs SEC

B1G #1 Ohio State vs SEC #1 Alabama
B1G #2 Oregon vs SEC #2 Texas
B1G #3 PSU vs SEC #3 uga
B1G #4 Michigan vs SEC #4 Tennessee
B1G #5 USC vs B12 #5 Mizzou
B1G #6 IU vs SEC #6 Ole Miss
B1G #7 Rutgers vs SEC #7 LSU
B1G #8 Illinois vs SEC #8 Oklahoma
B1G #9 Nebraska vs SEC #9 Texas A&M
B1G #10 Iowa vs SEC #10 South Carolina
B1G #11 Washington vs SEC #11 Kensucky
B1G #12 MSU vs SEC #12 Arky
B1G #13 Maryland vs SEC #13 Vandy
B1G #14 Wisconsin, Minnesota vs SEC #14 Auburn or UF
B1G #15 Wisconsin Minnesota vs SEC #15 Auburn or UF
B1G #16 NW vs SEC #16 MSU
Thank you for taking the time to put that together.

A couple of observations but I will admit that some of it is based on name recognition.

B12 looks weak. Could be because I don't follow any of their teams but they look like the weakest conference.

ACC vs B1g looks similar to the SEC. The top 4-5 favor the B1g but should be close games after that.

I stand by my comment that if the ACC had 3-4 top 15 teams, it would make the whole conference look better. When your top teams consistently get blown out in big games, nobody cares if you are stronger from 6 down. The dwags blowing out Clemson carries a lot more weight than if Tech blew out south Carolina.

Stretches? When? Here is the ACC vs sec history. Since 1990 the ACC has beaten the sec head to head a total of 8* times.

1990: ACC 4-1
1998: ACC 4-3
1999: ACC 4-2
2002: ACC 5-3
2003: ACC 5-4
2014: ACC 5-3
2016: ACC 10-4
2023: ACC 7-5

2024 the ACC is already 2-5 in 7 games. So in 34 years, the ACC has 8* total winning seasons against the rival conference. That’s not good at all. There’s no excuse for this either. Especially when a good amount of your schools share the same recruiting footprint.

Between 2014 and 2018 the ACC won 3 national titles with two teams. They beat the SEC all 3 times.

Thank you for taking the time to put that together.

A couple of observations but I will admit that some of it is based on name recognition.

B12 looks weak. Could be because I don't follow any of their teams but they look like the weakest conference.

ACC vs B1g looks similar to the SEC. The top 4-5 favor the B1g but should be close games after that.

I stand by my comment that if the ACC had 3-4 top 15 teams, it would make the whole conference look better. When your top teams consistently get blown out in big games, nobody cares if you are stronger from 6 down. The dwags blowing out Clemson carries a lot more weight than if Tech blew out south Carolina.
That is the overall problem. When the ACC top 3-4 go up against other leagues top 3-4 and the results don’t go well, it hurts the perception of the league. Add in the annual rivalries at the end of the year. UofL being owned by Kensucky lately is the win the ACC really needs. GT losing to uga is what it is right now. They are at all time historic levels, and aren’t losing to anyone not named Alabama at the moment (even though I think they can lose 2 more sec games this year).

I will say, the ACC attendance overall doesn’t help either. UofL as a ranked team with a ton of empty seats against GT and again against SMU yesterday is a bad look. NCSU known for fan support looked 75% full at best yesterday. Add in BC, Pitt, Duke, Miami, Wake, etc. 25%-50% empty seats just doesn’t look good to the country(especially when it’s teams who are winning right now).

Overall yesterday was GREAT for CFB. All the people on this board and other boards (regardless of fanbase) complaining about the Portal and NIL, need to take a step back and realize this has indeed leveled the playing field. This season is as WIDE OPEN as it’s been since pre-2010. Does there need to be regulations and a cap in place? Without question, yes. But that’s a whole other topic starting 2025.

Between 2014 and 2018 the ACC won 3 national titles with two teams. They beat the SEC all 3 times.
Please tell me you aren’t trying to say because FSU, Clemson won MNC’s means the conference overall is good? That’s not even close to reality. All other members in the ACC didn’t get a banner and trophy for FSU’s MNC in 2013 and Clemson’s MNC’s in 2016, 2018. Strength of the league is a combination of overall records + records OOC vs other P4/5.

Singular teams win MNC’s, not conferences.

In 2014 the ACC was without a doubt better than the sec. Did an ACC team win the MNC? No. tOSU who lost to VT won the first CFP MNC.

Last year an argument can be made the P12 went out as the best overall conference (it was close between the P12 and B1G). Washington obviously lost to Michigan on their way to the B1G.

Please tell me you aren’t trying to say because FSU, Clemson won MNC’s means the conference overall is good? That’s not even close to reality. All other members in the ACC didn’t get a banner and trophy for FSU’s MNC in 2013 and Clemson’s MNC’s in 2016, 2018. Strength of the league is a combination of overall records + records OOC vs other P4/5.

Singular teams win MNC’s, not conferences.

In 2014 the ACC was without a doubt better than the sec. Did an ACC team win the MNC? No. tOSU who lost to VT won the first CFP MNC.

Last year an argument can be made the P12 went out as the best overall conference (it was close between the P12 and B1G). Washington obviously lost to Michigan on their way to the B1G.
No I’m trying to tell you exactly what I told you. There was a recent stretch where the ACC top teams were playing and beating the SEC’s top teams. There actually were legitimate conversations that the ACC as a whole was better than the SEC during that timeframe.

Please notice I only needed 2 factual sentences to do it.

No I’m trying to tell you exactly what I told you. There was a recent stretch where the ACC top teams were playing and beating the SEC’s top teams. There actually were legitimate conversations that the ACC as a whole was better than the SEC during that timeframe.

Please notice I only needed 2 factual sentences to do it.
Singular years. That’s 2 teams within 6 years. Simplified for you.

2013:
SEC 7-4

2016:
ACC 10-4

2018:
SEC 6-4

2016 was the only year of those 3 MNC years by FSU, Clemson, where the ACC finished with a winning record head-to-head. Even including 2014 (ACC 5-3) the ACC can’t seem to win head-to-head in back to back years.

Legitimate conversations by whom? It certainly can’t be ESPN based on everything I read about “ESECpin” on here. Ya know, since they won’t redo the contract the ACC signed and all.

Back