Be Careful What You Wish For

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Dodd-Like
We could always be Nebraska. Or Texas. Or Florida State. Or any team in the Big Ten, which just lost all seven of its OOC unranked games this weekend. Or UCLA. Or Tennessee. Or Florida.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-programs-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/

Those programs all have better athletes than us. They all have more money, more boosters, and more support from the school itself. They don't have a BOR that hates them and actively works against them. And yet they all suck. So...be careful what you wish for. I'm not happy with how the past few years have gone either, but while firing CPJ might satisfy some "need for a change," it doesn't necessarily mean things will improve.

The real question is how did 2014 happen and now we're here? What changed? What can we do to fix it?

P.S. Fire Sewak.

The AD is helping! More people looking for players, better facilities, new uniforms, GT has the foundation growing for looking more atractive...

I believe the new DC is and be will better, but proof in the pudding.

2014 has some luck and a lot of positive turnovers with little offensive giveaways and a very senior team. I think Shaq led the OL and made them all better.

What it shows is that money, athletes, and a coach who knows something about football is not enough. It is the team. Always has been.

back more than a 100 years ago we bought Clemson's coach.
Worked out pretty good for us.
Wonder how much it would cost to bring that staff these days?
Doesn't matter, if we can't recruit those kind of non academic players - waste of money.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

MOOD

back more than a 100 years ago we bought Clemson's coach.
Worked out pretty good for us.
Wonder how much it would cost to bring that staff these days?
Doesn't matter, if we can't recruit those kind of non academic players - waste of money.
Heisman's deal included a slice of the gate on home games. I wonder if anyone's considered that approach these days.

We could always be Nebraska. Or Texas. Or Florida State. Or any team in the Big Ten, which just lost all seven of its OOC unranked games this weekend. Or UCLA. Or Tennessee. Or Florida.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-programs-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/

Those programs all have better athletes than us. They all have more money, more boosters, and more support from the school itself. They don't have a BOR that hates them and actively works against them. And yet they all suck. So...be careful what you wish for. I'm not happy with how the past few years have gone either, but while firing CPJ might satisfy some "need for a change," it doesn't necessarily mean things will improve.

The real question is how did 2014 happen and now we're here? What changed? What can we do to fix it?

P.S. Fire Sewak.
But, it is not a habit with those schools and they would not put up with it as long as we have.

P.S. Fire Sewak.
Wow, was this taken right out of the 2007 Gailey discussion. It is what kept Chan employed two years longer than he should have been.

P.S. Fire Sewak.

So your argument is to be happy with the crap that we're watching on Saturdays because it could be even worse crap? Swap Alcorn St with a real opponent and we're at rock bottom.

Count me as one willing to take the risk that we'll take a step back after changing coaches.

Wow, was this taken right out of the 2007 Gailey discussion. It is what kept Chan employed two years longer than he should have been.
The whole situation is a lot like the final Gailey years. We even have some "fans" rooting against the team to get CPJ fired.

So your argument is to be happy with the crap that we're watching on Saturdays because it could be even worse crap? Swap Alcorn St with a real opponent and we're at rock bottom.

Count me as one willing to take the risk that we'll take a step back after changing coaches.
Swap Alcorn St with a real opponent and I think we win one or both of Pitt/USF. Playing a glorified HS leads to overconfidence and complacency.

Swap Alcorn St with a real opponent and I think we win one or both of Pitt/USF. Playing a glorified HS leads to overconfidence and complacency.
That works for USF, but not for Pitt. We should have come out hungry for Pitt, but they ran all over us.

It starts under center. You got to have a QB who can make the proper read
Exactly. The rise and fall of most really good teams, notnamed Alabama, begins and ends with the QB. The odds of us getting a great passing QB are slim and none. We got extremely lucky with Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton. The President needs to decide if he likes athletics or not. I have my opinion.

I would agree with this if we were firing coaches after 8-9 win seasons. But we are about to endure our third losing season in four years. I know there is a lot of season left but this was supposed to be our easiest stretch of the year. 25% of the season is gone and we're 1-2 with our toughest opponents ahead.

I like Paul Johnson and I'll always appreciate what he did and what accomplished and will have fond memories. But it's time. I think Paul Johnson knows in his mind that he has taken us as far as he can take us. ACC title and New Year's Six bowl victory. That's the ceiling. And that's ok. But we aren't coming close to accomplishing either of those in the next two seasons, at the very least. His comments he makes publicly about other programs being ahead of us in the "arms race" (while true) is not a good look and is a defeatist attitude. He knows we won't ever be Georgia, Clemson or FSU. So what is his motivation? He's accomplished all he could possibly accomplish. It's over.

Not sure those schools up there are the best examples. Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida, UCLA and Texas all have better coaches than they did before. The only one that doesn't is FSU and we all know what happened there.

2014 we had THAT guy at QB. Not only that but we had two NFL caliber WR's on the roster. We don't have either of those now. And of course, Shaq. We had our most talented team offensively since 2009. We don't have that kind of talent on the roster. MAYBE our QB is on the roster but if he is, he's 3rd string and won't be taking over until next year at the earliest, 2020 would be more likely. I don't want to wait another couple of seasons to see if Graham is THAT guy. He can play QB in the next coach's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back