Be Careful What You Wish For

Status
Not open for further replies.
This argument doesn't really work when we are a comedy of errors on Saturdays and haven't won a road game since 2016. So, should we be happy with 3 out of 4 losing seasons (presuming we don't get it turned around this year which is still possible but looks unlikely) because, hey, it could be 4 out of 4?

This is setting the bar so low that it's underground.

Also, plenty of teams get their coaching hires right and improve, as well.

This argument doesn't really work when we are a comedy of errors on Saturdays and haven't won a road game since 2016. So, should we be happy with 3 out of 4 losing seasons (presuming we don't get it turned around this year which is still possible but looks unlikely) because, hey, it could be 4 out of 4?

This is setting the bar so low that it's underground.

Also, plenty of teams get their coaching hires right and improve, as well.

What are the chances we get it right?

We look like garbage on the field and have a stubborn af asshole of a coach. All of those programs that you mention have a lot of combined national championships since our last in 1990. Plus they have the support of their university, fans and state to likely turn things around in the not-too-distant future. Not sure being them would be the worst thing in the world.

We look like garbage on the field and have a stubborn af asshole of a coach. All of those programs that you mention have a lot of combined national championships since our last in 1990. Plus they have the support of their university, fans and state to likely turn things around in the not-too-distant future. Not sure being them would be the worst thing in the world.

I can't believe people are calling Frost a bust already. He is going to be fine, I think. Taggart will recruit at FSU, if nothing else.

Exactly. The rise and fall of most really good teams, notnamed Alabama, begins and ends with the QB. The odds of us getting a great passing QB are slim and none. We got extremely lucky with Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton. The President needs to decide if he likes athletics or not. I have my opinion.
I don’t think it’s extremely hard to recruit a good passing QB.. I was watching Hawaii Saturday and their QB was throwing darts and didn’t even have any offers and signed with them last minute.. now if you’re talking about recruiting one to run the TO system, then I’ll give you that.

Most any QB who is a good passer has dreams of NFL and TO doesn’t breed NFL QBs. This offense is doomed to never produce professional level quarterback play. Lowering the potential talent level of the most important player on the team, inherently in an offensive scheme, is weird af

The real question is how did 2014 happen and now we're here? What changed? What can we do to fix it?

P.S. Fire Sewak.

2014 was a season in which good athletes (Mason, JT, Smelter, Waller) got good breaks (Southern fumble, VPI pick, bizarre Richt onsides kick, Butker kick barely clearing). Normally, those things don't seem to go our way, esp. anything involving the goddamned mutts (we got a really ööööty ref call that game with the non-fumble on the 1 yd line that the mutts "recovered").

2014 also saw losses to Puke and UNC as well as not being able to defeat FSU in the ACC-CG. 2014 has been shown to be a pretty extreme outlier.

I don't understand all the fire-Sewak stuff though. The guy is clearly doing exactly what CPJ is telling him to do - that's the only reason he's still around. So the problem with Sewak isn't Sewak but CPJ.

Watching a replay of the 2000 game with Clemson I just want to see really good players playing for us again. At 5-2 we went to Death Valley and beat undefeated Clemson on the great last seconds catch by Kerry Watkins, 28-24. We had players like Gathers and Claybrooks making plays on the D-line. Daryl Smith and Key Fox were linebackers. Rhino ran back punts. Godsey was a terrific QB. Manget was kicking. Depth at receiver was incredible, with Campbell, Watkins, Glover, Smith and Muyres. Wilder and Burns were in the backfield. We have to get back to recruiting at a higher level.

I can't believe people are calling Frost a bust already. He is going to be fine, I think. Taggart will recruit at FSU, if nothing else.

Talent on FSUs roster is not the issue. The coaching is horrific. Their 5 star roster plays like 2 stars. Their offense makes ours look advanced.

Heisman's deal included a slice of the gate on home games. I wonder if anyone's considered that approach these days.
If we could get Dabo, a slice of the gate would not be enough. I would offer him a slice of the gate, and tv contract, and a couple of clubs on Spring St.

Wow, was this taken right out of the 2007 Gailey discussion. It is what kept Chan employed two years longer than he should have been.
I agree with the OP, and it isn't the same as the Gailey discussion. I may be wrong, but I don't remember Gailey ever taking us higher than 7 wins. PJ has done that multiple times. Our bad years with PJ are certainly worse than our bad years with Gailey, but our good years with PJ have been better than our good years with Gailey.

There are things besides the coach that needs changing. It may be that the coach also needs to be changed, but I don't see us getting better if we just change the coach and keep everything else the same.

2014 was a season in which good athletes (Mason, JT, Smelter, Waller) got good breaks (Southern fumble, VPI pick, bizarre Richt onsides kick, Butker kick barely clearing). Normally, those things don't seem to go our way, esp. anything involving the goddamned mutts (we got a really ööööty ref call that game with the non-fumble on the 1 yd line that the mutts "recovered").

2014 also saw losses to Puke and UNC as well as not being able to defeat FSU in the ACC-CG. 2014 has been shown to be a pretty extreme outlier.

I don't understand all the fire-Sewak stuff though. The guy is clearly doing exactly what CPJ is telling him to do - that's the only reason he's still around. So the problem with Sewak isn't Sewak but CPJ.

Dude, STFU. You're an asshole. 2014 was the best team since 1990. We didn't "luck" into 11 wins and an Orange bowl win, like you're suggesting. Everyone knows you hate PJ but at least give credit where credit is due. No matter how many times you say "Puke" doesn't make the 9 win Duke team that beat us suck. UNC was also a bowl team that year and FSU made the ööööing playoff. Barely anyone goes undefeated these days. We were one of the best 5-7 teams in the country that season. And the reason those things "went our way" is because we had better players than almost every single team we played. Isn't it weird when we're not quite as talented, those interceptions don't happen, those kicks don't go through and certain passes aren't completed?

You're a douche.

What are the chances we get it right?
We have some data. Carson? Fulcher? Pepper? Curry? Ross? Le**s? O'Leary? Gailey? Paul Johnson. History would support that hiring head football coaches is not necessarily our forte. If you turn back the clock and look at who was in the running when these fellows got hired, it would indicate our process might need tweeking. I still suspect the hiring is heavily dependent on who will accept the job.

@BuzzLaw I can agree with that statement...

The playing field has changed and not in GTs favor. Better have a system that can win with lessor talent, better come up with more money, be prepared to have any successful person move on quickly.

We have some data. Carson? Fulcher? Pepper? Curry? Ross? Le**s? O'Leary? Gailey? Paul Johnson. History would support that hiring head football coaches is not necessarily our forte. If you turn back the clock and look at who was in the running when these fellows got hired, it would indicate our process might need tweeking. I still suspect the hiring is heavily dependent on who will accept the job.

It's gonna have to be a G5 coach. I'm in favor of a change. But we aren't going to have a long list of great coaches that are going to be knocking the door down to coach at GT.

Dude, STFU. You're an asshole. 2014 was the best team since 1990. We didn't "luck" into 11 wins and an Orange bowl win, like you're suggesting. Everyone knows you hate PJ but at least give credit where credit is due. No matter how many times you say "Puke" doesn't make the 9 win Duke team that beat us suck. UNC was also a bowl team that year and FSU made the ööööing playoff. Barely anyone goes undefeated these days. We were one of the best 5-7 teams in the country that season. And the reason those things "went our way" is because we had better players than almost every single team we played. Isn't it weird when we're not quite as talented, those interceptions don't happen, those kicks don't go through and certain passes aren't completed?

You're a douche.
He doesn't hate Paul Johnson. He doesn't like losing football. He doesn't like 1-3 over the last four to the likes of Duke, Pittsburgh, and UNC. Forget about Miami, Clempsen and Georgia. He doesn't like not going to bowl games in an era where 80 freakin' teams go bowling. You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Seems to me that good passing QBs, which used to be harder to come by, are much more plentiful now that HS are slinging it around. And good option QBs are not as abundant for the same reason. At least not CPJs version of option which must be about as hard as putting a person on the moon.

First of all, f$&@ you. You don’t get to diminish 2014. Good breaks? That offense was hell for other teams. The uga game was only close because of horrible officials. Down right one sided bullsh!t calls. You’ve got several seasons to point at for underachieving that will support you being miserable, but not 2014. So f$&@ off.

Our problem is talent. TALENT!!!! Right now, we’re not just unathletic, but we’re morons. Dumbasses running wrong routes, a defense that’s always out of position, and f$&@ing tards on special teams. Fire the coach, I don’t give a damn. Nothing is going to change until we change the culture of the school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back