Best Special Teams Game in Years

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
This was the best special teams game we have had in years even with the questionable fair catch on the last kick off.
Kick offs through the end zone.
The best onside kick I can remember.
Two solid field goals.
Punting was solid for a punter in his third football game.

That fair catch at the end. I’d like that one back.

Looks like they were hoping to get to midfield for a Hail Mary instead of having to do it from 30ish/35ish, if Gibbs wasn’t able to pull a miracle.

Both needed miracles and I like Gibbs giving me that opportunity.

The kid did not punt well. Had a nice game last week, but this one was not good.

The kid did not punt well. Had a nice game last week, but this one was not good.the
I agree. We have to keep in mind that he had never experienced any of this a few weeks ago. He is getting the punts off and the way he punts has discouraged run backs to this point. He needs to learn to kick the ball to the corners when necessary.

Kickoffs: none were returned, but I would say that is typical these days. The onside kick bumps up this category. Grade: A

KO Returns: The only return didn't make it to the 20. Grade: C

Punt Returns: No positive yardage at all. Props for no muffs I guess. Grade: C

Punts: Not good. Grade: D

Placekicking: Made 2 chip shots. Didn't attempt a 53 yarder. Grade: B

Overall: Didn't give up any big plays. Made a big play on the onside kick. Without that, it would have been a meh performance. Grade: B-

Kickoffs: none were returned, but I would say that is typical these days. The onside kick bumps up this category. Grade: A

KO Returns: The only return didn't make it to the 20. Grade: C

Punt Returns: No positive yardage at all. Props for no muffs I guess. Grade: C

Punts: Not good. Grade: D

Placekicking: Made 2 chip shots. Didn't attempt a 53 yarder. Grade: B

Overall: Didn't give up any big plays. Made a big play on the onside kick. Without that, it would have been a meh performance. Grade: B-
How many B performances have we had since Butker left?

When was the last time we blocked a punt or field goal or took a return to the house? That crazy FSU finish is my guess.

I agree Special Teams haven't been special in a long time. But we shouldn't celebrate mediocrity.

That fair catch at the end. I’d like that one back.

Looks like they were hoping to get to midfield for a Hail Mary instead of having to do it from 30ish/35ish, if Gibbs wasn’t able to pull a miracle.

Both needed miracles and I like Gibbs giving me that opportunity.

My biggest disappointment of the game was the fair catch by Gibbs. Felt like we were giving up, there was zero chance we get 75 yards through the air on their defense. I felt like our best shot was to give our best player a chance to return that short kick with space. CGC should've sent him out there and just said "I have to have a TD here." Could've been Gibbs' coming out party if he did something special there, a la Calvin at Clemson in 2004.

Instead, we got two inept last-ditch plays. Really disappointing.

After two stellar games, Shanahan stunk up Death Valley on Saturday. I suspect the venue may have spooked him a bit :scared:.

People keep complaining about the fair catch at the end. Did you guys see what happened the first time Gibbs tried to return a kick? In case you didn't notice their kicker can get it up there with a lot of hangtime and land it at the 1. Gibbs should've fair caught that one also. He could've kicked it deeper after the safety but chose to kick it high and give his coverage time to get downfield. Fair catch is the correct call there. If he had tried to return it and got tackled you'd have the same folks hollering, "why didnt we fair catch it, we couldve run 2 plays!?"

The only thing I might have done different, and it's surely going to be an un-popular opinion, is I might have sent Sims out for those last two plays. I'm all for "dance with the one who brought you" and in no way would I be implying that Jordan lost his job or the chance, but right there in that situation, Jeff is taller, can see the field better, has a bigger arm, and is a faster runner. Jordan was great at managing the game, made some good reads and throws, I just would like a bigger arm in there in that scenario with a chance to make something happen downfield. I can also 100% still get behind letting Jordan have the chance to finish it out there too.

People keep complaining about the fair catch at the end. Did you guys see what happened the first time Gibbs tried to return a kick? In case you didn't notice their kicker can get it up there with a lot of hangtime and land it at the 1. Gibbs should've fair caught that one also. He could've kicked it deeper after the safety but chose to kick it high and give his coverage time to get downfield. Fair catch is the correct call there. If he had tried to return it and got tackled you'd have the same folks hollering, "why didnt we fair catch it, we couldve run 2 plays!?"

The only thing I might have done different, and it's surely going to be an un-popular opinion, is I might have sent Sims out for those last two plays. I'm all for "dance with the one who brought you" and in no way would I be implying that Jordan lost his job or the chance, but right there in that situation, Jeff is taller, can see the field better, has a bigger arm, and is a faster runner. Jordan was great at managing the game, made some good reads and throws, I just would like a bigger arm in there in that scenario with a chance to make something happen downfield. I can also 100% still get behind letting Jordan have the chance to finish it out there too.
Agreed. Sims may have been able to power forward and perhaps break the plane of the goal line.

Agreed. Sims may have been able to power forward and perhaps break the plane of the goal line.
No I didn't mean there but that's a good point also. I meant on the final two desparation plays after the safety.

I missed the 1Q and thought I heard that Clemson's TD came off a muffed punt by us. Did that not happen then?

I missed the 1Q and thought I heard that Clemson's TD came off a muffed punt by us. Did that not happen then?
Biggest issue on the 1st TD was our defense was missing assignments. Terrible read by #10 where Clemson RB just ran right up the gut for the score

Back