Big 10 ded.

I think they're just adjusting to the evolving health situation; it was always a wait-and-see sort of deal. Covid surged in the summer and it's looking increasing likely there'll be a vaccine by year's end or early next year.

It's probably naive of me to suggest it's more about lives and not about money in some way, but regardless I think this is the right decision given the pandemic's status.
But what changed in the past week or 2? Nothing. Why go through all of that only to cancel now. I'm telling you they are more concerned about the players trying to "unionize" than they are about the actual illness itself.

But what changed in the past week or 2? Nothing. Why go through all of that only to cancel now. I'm telling you they are more concerned about the players trying to "unionize" than they are about the actual illness itself.
That could be. Maybe I was wrong to give the Big Ten credit for doing the right thing. But I still think it's the right move ethically, regardless of the impetus.

People should read Stingtalk. It is pretty good.

Is it called off or cancelled? The other thread says it's cancelled. This one says it's called off.

I’d see this as a huge opportunity if your I/Ts are all dotted and crossed. The losses in revenue for B1G AAs is going to be brutal, but if you combine that with other conferences playing it would be crippling. They took a huge risk here announcing first. Because if SEC/ACC decide to move forward the B1G is forced to either fall way behind or come up with some explanation of why they’re flipping script.

Imagine it would be open season on B1G 2021 recruiting classes with the pitch of “they might not even play next year. And even if they do they’re gonna give everybody an extra year of eligibility which means you’re gonna have to sit for an extra year there.”

According to Dan Patrick, Big-10 & PAC-10 cancelling the season. ACC & Big-12 on the fence. SEC going ahead. I think we're seeing who the real college football conference is.

• According to ESPN, commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss the future of college football.
  • According to Dan Patrick, the Big Ten and Pac-12 are ready to cancel their seasons, while the Big 12 and ACC are on the fence.
  • The SEC appears to be the only conference holding out.

What hyperbole? A fall football season would've caused scores of deaths within America. Better to postpone to spring.

I’m not sure those athletes exposure is going to change a lot. Maybe the friend group is a little smaller, but probably not significantly, especially if they still attend school.

The problem will be solved by the NCAA stepping in and cancelling fall sports. SEC will be ticked off. The Power 5 conferences(plus ND) come together and create a new league with a REAL 16 team playoffs for their 65 teams. Everyone is happy.

On the bright side, if everybody else cancels/calls off the season, we have a 50/50 chance of beating Nebraska for another natty.

Will sec and ACC play anyway?
You would have to think that if the ACC and SEC decided to play, that any transfers from the Big Ten or Pac-10 would be immediately eligible to play this season given the special circumstances. We could pick up some big players.

That could be. Maybe I was wrong to give the Big Ten credit for doing the right thing. But I still think it's the right move ethically, regardless of the impetus.
Forty thousand people die each year in auto accidents. Some college athletes will die this fall from Rona (and other causes) without playing football at all. I am not clear on what ethical action the conferences are taking. I personally feel that college football is worth saving. But if the 2020 season is scrapped, it might destroy the system completely.

I think now, it's more about putting the breaks on the players trying to organize and demand a revenue share, with COVID as the excuse. There's no letting that genie back into the bottle after COVID.

These players have some leverage right now with COVID. They can make demands and then actually sit out the season if they dont get them, knowing that they can just claim "health concerns" because of COVID and still retain their scholarship and the year's eligibility. Add in all of the social justice b.s. going on and it's a fight that the NCAA doesn't want to engage in right now.

I wish we were going to have football, but I know if we do, it is going to be a half-assed season with probable missed games due to positive COVID cases that are bound to happen, players and teams sitting out, and is going to be clouded by the social justice narrative. "GREEDY NCAA EXPLOITS UNPAID PLAYERS DURING PANDEMIC" is not a good look, especially once some players inevitably do get sick. Even if the players and coaches are completely willing to take the chance and play, the situation will be twisted and used against the NCAA and it will ultimately be bad for CFB. I'm convinced once we go down the road of giving in to players demanding revenue share, college football as we know it, is toast.

We've discussed it before, but here's a recent article talking about how football was scheduled during the last pandemic. The scheduling was pretty informal, and a lot of it happened late into the fall as the pandemic wound down.

Back