Big 12 Expansion

I just host a championship game among my teams that I do have, give the NCAA the finger if they don't permit me to (since they don't actually have any authority to prevent me from doing so) and then I name the winner of that my champion.

I would wager this would cause the NCAA to void the seasons of the teams involved, preventing them from getting into the playoff.

I would wager this would cause the NCAA to void the seasons of the teams involved, preventing them from getting into the playoff.

The Big 12 could petition the NCAA to hold one now, and I highly doubt NCAA would care. But they didn't because ONE TRUE CHAMPION!

Dumb.

If I'm Bowlsby, I court Nebraska to come back with whatever it takes, including giving the finger to Texas and the Longhorn network if needed. To get to 12, I'd take BYU. If Texas goes independent as a result or if Nebraska refuses, Boise State.

Continuing to bend to the will of Austin is going to bury this conference. I think it's less likely that the Big XII gets back to 12, and more likely that Oklahoma and Ok St dash west to make the Pac-14, while Texas goes independent and the other conferences divide up the spoils.

Moving south is a great idea for them. It's where the players are outside of Ohio, Texas, and Cali. I mean, they already have West Freaken Virginia, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU. Which, Baylor and TCU won't be good long.

I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma are looking forward to yearly trips to Statesboro and Greenville.

If you ever want to run them out of this conference and to the B1G or Pac-#, then this is how you do it.

What's the problem with that? Are you saying that their potential to grow is limited? Do you think Boise State has more growth potential than those teams? I don't.

Also, Florida is pretty crowded, too.

The potential of the schools to grow isn't really the issue I'm thinking of, it's the conference. The Texas (and thus Big 12) brand already owns even the immediate areas of the non P-5 schools in the state, for all intents and purposes. If you shove 7 teams into the state you maybe garner a few percent more of the population in terms of TV ratings and attendance, but it doesn't do anything for you nationally which is where the real money is at when it comes to TV deals. Then there's recruiting. These guys aren't powerhouses but as they do grow (and they would with a Big 12 stamp), you have to compete against them. With half of your league in-state and half of the SEC playing Texas A&M every season, you run the risk of stretching your wealth and being unable to consistently field an elite product.

The only other state that is close to as P-5 crowded as Texas at the moment is California:
USC
Cal
UCLA
Stanford

EDIT: And North Carolina but lol

EDIT 2: Actually, the Big 12 picking up Houston and SMU would be kind of similar to the ACC going after ECU, in terms of what it provides / detracts from the league.

Florida only has 3 P-5 teams, although just about everyone in the region recruits there. That said, Texas already has that problem, too. 7 P-5 teams just seems like too much for one state, even one as big as Texas.

If I'm Bowlsby, I court Nebraska to come back with whatever it takes, including giving the finger to Texas and the Longhorn network if needed. To get to 12, I'd take BYU. If Texas goes independent as a result or if Nebraska refuses, Boise State.

Continuing to bend to the will of Austin is going to bury this conference. I think it's less likely that the Big XII gets back to 12, and more likely that Oklahoma and Ok St dash west to make the Pac-14, while Texas goes independent and the other conferences divide up the spoils.

I like Big 12 implosion scenarios just as much as expansion scenarios, it turns out. :biggthumpup:

North Carolina?

4 P-5 and not nearly the population or the 'crootin base.

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it. Duke and Wake still aren't registering in my mind as P-5 teams. Might take a while for Duke, won't ever happen for Wake.

First thing I'm doing is calling up Nebraska and apologizing. They can't be too happy playing in the frozen tundra part of the country, and I'm sure their recruiting would love to get tied back to Texas and Oklahoma. I ask them to make a list of demands, ie like permanent matchups with OU, etc, and we'll meet those demands and make a deal.

Next, call BYU and say "join the conference or enjoy never being in the playoff picture ever again, because we are expanding and this is your last and only chance of ever being invited to be with the big boys".

Third down on the list is going to be programs that don't meet all your preferred metrics, so I'd probably look at programs that make sense not just now but will make sense 20-30 years from now. I'd probably look at:
1. Colo State
2. Nevada
3. Boise (probably deserves an offer, as it's been made clear that the MWC ESPN deal was done primarily for BSt, so they have some level of monetary value)
4. Cincy

I've seen the article where Bowlsby is talking about Memphis. But if you're looking at Memphis and going east, I think Tulane might be on that same level of value, and what they bring to the conference. Both teams are low on my list, but I think both are better gets than Florida schools. Florida schools and Texas schools aren't in the conversation, IMO.

I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma are looking forward to yearly trips to Statesboro and Greenville.

If you ever want to run them out of this conference and to the B1G or Pac-#, then this is how you do it.

I stated first choices should be Boise and BYU. There isn't much left out there. I'd much rather spend a weekend in Savannah/Statesboro or New Orleans than Cincinnati/Provo/Boise. Admittedly, I'm not a Yankee. :)

What's the problem with that? Are you saying that their potential to grow is limited? Do you think Boise State has more growth potential than those teams? I don't.

Also, Florida is pretty crowded, too.

You dont' take more Texas schools for the same reason why the SEC wasn't interested in FSU when it expanded to 14 - it doesn't make sense monetarily to take schools already within your footprint that you already have locked down.

Being included in the playoff or not, they're not expanding if it significantly impacts their bottom line, and FOX/ESPN/whoever else won't pay more money without any more eyeballs coming with the expansion. The biggest issue the conference has, other than no championship game hurting them in the playoff, is the limited footprint. Big12 needs to get into more states and more markets, and that's what FOX will tell them when they ask for their opinion.

It all boils down to butthurt from the dissolution of the SWC.

1) They're not going after anymore Texas schools. No value.
2) They are not going to go for any directional low value brands (Cincy, UCF, USF)

Big 12 screwed the pooch (yet again) by not getting Louisville when they had a chance. That was the biggest no-brainer ever. That was the only decent option for a WVU dance partner. So now their options are pretty limited.

BYU. Invite them yesterday. After that is a big drop off but your best bet is Colorado State. They are investing heavily in facilities and now is the time to pounce. This puts you in two states in direct competition with the Pac 12. SLC and Denver may not be the best markets, but they are big markets nonetheless, plus you get the national BYU footprint.

1) They're not going after anymore Texas schools. No value.
2) They are not going to go for any directional low value brands (Cincy, UCF, USF)

Big 12 screwed the pooch (yet again) by not getting Louisville when they had a chance. That was the biggest no-brainer ever. That was the only decent option for a WVU dance partner. So now their options are pretty limited.

BYU. Invite them yesterday. After that is a big drop off but your best bet is Colorado State. They are investing heavily in facilities and now is the time to pounce. This puts you in two states in direct competition with the Pac 12. SLC and Denver may not be the best markets, but they are big markets nonetheless, plus you get the national BYU footprint.

Cincy >>> Colorado State.

When TAMU, Colorado, and Nebraska left, the handwriting for the Big "12" appeared on the wall in neon letters. None of these are coming back: they all have better lives now. Nebraska doesn't mind the B1G frozen tundra because Nebraska invented and is frozen tundra. It's north of and more barren (except for corn) than Kansas!

Texas and their self serving Longhorn Network as well as their suffocating deal with the conference ruined everything for the Big-12.

The Big-12 is land locked by other posterful conferences not declining in influence. The remaining conference members are Big-12 bones left to be scavenged by other conferences or wither on the vine. Sure, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, and a few others to some degree have mega programs and may take a while, but they've been choked off.

Missing the inaugural CFP is just the first manifestation of their coming withering relevance.

Back