BIG PICTURE: Can you accept what needs to change?

That's kindof where I'm going. Start over-signing. Every other team does it. We can't afford not to.

I'm vehemently against oversigning. The majority of factories do it, and GT is better than holding tryouts for kids on scholarship and then running them off when they don't pan out. However, having said that, I don't like how CPJ hands out scholarships to walk-ons that don't really contribute. If memory serves, this year those included Coray Carlson, Ben Keith, Jamal Paige and David Scully.

I recognize Coray Carlson because he saw PT against Miami and didn't do a ---- thing worth noting and David Scully. I have no idea who Ben Keith or Jamal Paige are. Seems like those were some scholarships we could've used rather than offer them up to some non-contributing walk-ons.

aren't shollies for walk-ons only for a single year at a time?

I seem to remember him saying, at least for those going to special teams, that they would only be guaranteed for a year.

I seem to remember him saying, at least for those going to special teams, that they would only be guaranteed for a year.

That's exactly what CPJ says. Problem is...they always stay ON scholarship. Jamal Paige and Ben Keith won't ever play. But I believe they are seniors who have helped out on Scout Team so they will only take up 1 year of space.

serious? They have the active NCAA record of 10+ win seasons in a row. You have to be joking.

they're in the top 15 every year, even when they shouldn't be (like this one) and they've gone to the BCS a bit. the reason they suck this year is they're very young. but they've got some talent.

I think so, but I can't imagine CPJ revoking them after rewarding them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

he can. he doesn't. But the fact he has 6-7 in any one year left over to sign walkons is the indication of his poor recruiting numbers methodology, and planning.

Are there enough people worth a scholly that WANT to come play here?

of course there is!!! our staff slow plays recruits when they think they are "full". Full to them, meaning undersigning and still having somewhere around 7 or so scholarships of 85 left over for walkon of your choice.

Its a dumb tactic, and its killing our depth IMO. We are seeing that now. In the DL, QB, and OL to be honest. OL is not quality at all. numbers help.

He and DRad and some big donors need to get with Bud and Homer Rice, and nail down a plan to get better football players in here without them failing out.

If the need occurs, there are many good coaches we could get for what we are spending. Coaches that would realize that winning team sports starts with D. That ST should be as important as any other aspect of the game.

After Pepper I can not believe Tech men would make another hire with a coach having this kind of attitude.

I know our ST and Def have sucked under CPJ, but the man hired Al Groh & a ST coordinator. Its not like he is sweeping it under the rug.

How some of you come to the conclusion that he doesn't care about ST/Def and is an "arrogant prick who won't change" when he has fired/hired/installed new offense specific for Vad Lee.....I mean get real.

Yes, the results need to improve, W/L is the only thing that matters. But he has done multiple things to change his approach to the game. If you don't see that, then you are either stupid, or blinded by butt hurt.

He and DRad and some big donors need to get with Bud and Homer Rice, and nail down a plan to get better football players in here without them failing out.

This isn't a bad idea, especially if those talks could involve someone from the academic side as well. Isn't there a committee responsible for overseeing athlete education?

I know our ST and Def have sucked under CPJ, but the man hired Al Groh & a ST coordinator. Its not like he is sweeping it under the rug.

How some of you come to the conclusion that he doesn't care about ST/Def and is an "arrogant prick who won't change" when he has fired/hired/installed new offense specific for Vad Lee.....I mean get real.

Yes, the results need to improve, W/L is the only thing that matters. But he has done multiple things to change his approach to the game. If you don't see that, then you are either stupid, or blinded by butt hurt.

+1

"Paul Johnson is the best coach GT can hope to have."

Pure baloney. 100% crap.

That is not to say he should be fired today.

There is no way anyone could say such a thing for sure.

If the need occurs, there are many good coaches we could get for what we are spending. Coaches that would realize that winning team sports starts with D. That ST should be as important as any other aspect of the game.

PJ is the best coach we can hope to have that would stay with us for the long term. Anybody better would use us as a stepping stone to an SEC, USC, or a Notre Dame job (George O' Leary).

As for the OP, I agree. Our recruiting strategy, whatever it is, isn't working. If we're really undersigning so that we can give scholarships to walk-ons, then that just sounds like a failing strategy to me.

The GT of today is not Homer Rice's GT. I really don't think that he's going to have much to add to the discussion of keeping student-athletes eligible. Instead, I'd say that looking at Stanford and Cal and other top-tier academic institutions playing FBS football are doing. Alas, I think the answer will be that they have majors in which they hide their athletes that have less stringent requirements than management at Tech, but if they have some ideas on helping athletes academically, it might be worth learning them. Honestly, I've taught student-athletes at Tech, and they get a ton of support from the staff at GTAA. The biggest problem tends to be their motivation/desire to do the academics. Coach Joseph seems to have a good handle on prioritizing things, as I was always impressed by the dedication of the WBB players to academics. Blewitt's players, not so much. Football under Gailey and Johnson was a mixed bag overall.

The motivation/desire of exceptions to do the work, can to a significant degree, be determined prior to offering. We have had a great many exceptions not only survive, but flourish.

Of course they (ALL of em) get help. Tell ya what----put the load our football players endure on the shoulders of most of our regular student 1400+ SATers, and the failure rate would skyrocket.

of course there is!!! our staff slow plays recruits when they think they are "full". Full to them, meaning undersigning and still having somewhere around 7 or so scholarships of 85 left over for walkon of your choice.

Its a dumb tactic, and its killing our depth IMO. We are seeing that now. In the DL, QB, and OL to be honest. OL is not quality at all. numbers help.

We have numbers at OL now. A lot of crappy linemen don't make a good line. That's probably as much of an indictment on CPJ as the numbers would be. For some reason, he is either whiffing an awful lot or not coaching them up to BCS standards.

Back