Biggest thing that needs fixing?

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
Hard for me to say it is the head coach, but I do think his biggest failure is his OL philosophy. We can't pass block worth an umlaut. And today our BBacks didn't block well either. Hard to blame Vad when he is running for his life.

Congrats to our players. They played hard. I wish there was some way to fix our mediocrity.

Sewak and the OL are Div 2 material. We get 2 more wins a year with even a marginally better group of players on the OL. Sewak's failure to recruit has really hurt the team. No coach should get a pass on recruiting.

When's the last time you saw our quarterback drop back into the pocket to pass and not felt like we were gambling?

I was so surprised that Sims could not pass protect....and even more surprised and angered when I saw CPJ on the sidelines bitching him out as if our team spends any decent amount of time on pass blocking.

If you want to watch some comedy just watch the Oline on passing downs. It is insanely funny when Ole Miss rushes four and the DE has an unimpeded path to the QB.

What sucks the most is that the Oline can't pass block and Vad Lee can't run the option. Talk about recipe for failure.

OLine doesn't really block in any shape or form at times even. Is absolutely the most important thing that needs to be improved on.

OLine doesn't really block in any shape or form at times even. Is absolutely the most important thing that needs to be improved on.

I dont understand how you teach a team to cut block and then get mad when they cant do any other type blocking???? That is what pisses me off. CPJ doesnt need to get mad at his palyers for not pass blocking well when all he teaches is cut blocking, he needs to just look in the mirror

The OL needs help, but what kind if help? If you want better pass blocking, then you must recruit a taller, bigger, and more athletic OL. If you want to get better running the offense we run, you have to get them to block better, but you keep the same body type of lineman, shorter and able to block low. The biggest concern I have is that our OL seem to think diving at the ankles constitutes blocking. Yes, you can block low, but you have to keep your balance and you absolutely cannot allow penetration if you want your QB to come down the line of scrimmage to run the option.

The reason good teams stifle us is that they have the big and athletic DL's who penetrate the line of scrimmage and disrupt the option - see VPI, Iowa, Ole Miss, BYU, UGA, etc. If we can't keep the DL from penetration our QB's start running the option deeper, instead of coming down the line they run more of an arc. The option becomes much less effective.

I want to see a new OL coach, because I simply do not see improvement in blocking techniques so that our offense can be effective. We block Elon and Alabama A&M great. Duke and UVA well, but the good teams, not so much.

Can we get a "Rocket Toss" counter/meter in the StingTalk section next year?

Kind of like the "K's" in a baseball game.

Sewak and the OL are Div 2 material. We get 2 more wins a year with even a marginally better group of players on the OL. Sewak's failure to recruit has really hurt the team. No coach should get a pass on recruiting.

I'm not sure the players themselves are that unserviceable. Look how much improvement we've seen on the DL from last year to this year just by changing coaches and schemes. I'm not saying the DL was stellar this year; but it is pretty much the same guys as last year with much better results. The optimist in me wants to think we could see similar improvement in the OL with a different coach and different blocking scheme.

there were two things that stood out to me: oline blocking and defensive fundamentals. Oline blocking has been an issue all year (and longer) so i wont get into it, but the defense kind of fell apart at times. There were many TFLs that were missed because someone didn't wrap their man up, or touchdowns given away because someone completely whiffed on the one guy they had in open space.

sewak is part of the problem

the other part is simply the Line scheme or blocking scheme since I will throw in the BB responsibility to this.

With that said I agree 100%. This is the biggest thing needing to be fixed

there were two things that stood out to me: oline blocking and defensive fundamentals. Oline blocking has been an issue all year (and longer) so i wont get into it, but the defense kind of fell apart at times. There were many TFLs that were missed because someone didn't wrap their man up, or touchdowns given away because someone completely whiffed on the one guy they had in open space.

Yeah the defensive mislaps were a problem, but all programs have it from time to time and can be corrected rather quickly. The O-line and blocking in general is very serious issue. I think it warrants a complete overhaul. Diving at ankles is just not the way to play football anymore. Furthermore preaching that philosophy and expecting a team to block standing up in passing situations with any consistency is just absurd.

Vad Lee makes the pass protection look a lot worse than it is, because he has zero pocket awareness/presence.

He runs backward and spins off almost immediately upon seeing a guy beat our tackles, which makes it worse, because a lot of the time's the interior has made a decent pocket. I don't know if I've ever seen Vad step up in the pocket, he's always moving backwards.

To me the biggest thing that needs fixing is a belief that we CAN/WILL win. We don't play with one at all. I think the negativity from our own fans and media has infected the team to the point where they don't believe they can be successful against good teams with PJ's offense.

The biggest problem IMO is the offense needs to get back to the basics. The introduction of the diamond, shotgun, and pistol has caused several problems. The SAs have more assignments, reads, and keys on their plates to digest with limited reps and heavy workload, and they lose focus. As a result, the players seem mediocre to bad at everything rather than disciplined and precise at a few things. Focusing on a limited playbook with special attention to little things like timing and footwork would benefit both the SAs and the coaches. The new packages seem to have gotten CPJ out of rhythm on playcalling and in making adjustments.

The introduction of the new spread attacks works only if you commit to it. Most spread teams are up tempo, stretch the field horizontally and vertically, and are not under center. Tech does none of those things consistently. This sprinkling of formations and plays just to compensate for personnel, to appease the fan base and media, and use as a selling point to recruits is the problem.

To me the biggest thing that needs fixing is a belief that we CAN/WILL win. We don't play with one at all. I think the negativity from our own fans and media has infected the team to the point where they don't believe they can be successful against good teams with PJ's offense.

It's not just a matter of belief in CAN/WILL win, but also it revolves around games they MUST win. We can't lose to Duke or UVA or w/e, that would be unacceptable and pitiful. We can't lose the "big" conference games cause we have to succeed. Lose to Georgia and most other achievements will be disregarded and a lot of fans who want to see Georgia lose won't care for another year.

I'm not sure the players themselves are that unserviceable. Look how much improvement we've seen on the DL from last year to this year just by changing coaches and schemes. I'm not saying the DL was stellar this year; but it is pretty much the same guys as last year with much better results. The optimist in me wants to think we could see similar improvement in the OL with a different coach and different blocking scheme.

+1

I don't think our blocking on the perimeter can be excluded. Think back to this first two years with Lucas Cox (230 pound) a back, Anthony Allen 225 pound a back, even roddy jones was a 195 and probably the best cut blocker on the team. While, Godhigh was an above average blocker we're carrying a load of a and b backs (Andrews, zenon, Bostoc, Pekins, Snoddy, Sims and Laskey to a lesser extent who arent getting corners, safeties, and OLB's off their feet

I agree with the OLine comments. Did anyone else notice that on the 2 plays where Sims couldn't block the DE, the tackle on that side blocked noone. He just tucked in close to the guard. Was he looking for the linebacker to blitz? Something very wrong going on there, Sims did a piss poor job, but when you turn loose the DE on a four man line and expect the back to block him, that is a poor scheme.

I also agree that Vad looks terrible in the pocket. He looks absolutely terrified and could help himself a lot stepping up or flushing left or right to avoid pressure.

Back