Biggest thing that needs fixing?

I agree with the OLine comments. Did anyone else notice that on the 2 plays where Sims couldn't block the DE, the tackle on that side blocked noone. He just tucked in close to the guard. Was he looking for the linebacker to blitz? Something very wrong going on there, Sims did a piss poor job, but when you turn loose the DE on a four man line and expect the back to block him, that is a poor scheme.

I also agree that Vad looks terrible in the pocket. He looks absolutely terrified and could help himself a lot stepping up or flushing left or right to avoid pressure.

Well, we did get burned by the linebacker a few times, but I saw a lot of what you saw.

I agree with the OLine comments. Did anyone else notice that on the 2 plays where Sims couldn't block the DE, the tackle on that side blocked noone. He just tucked in close to the guard. Was he looking for the linebacker to blitz? Something very wrong going on there, Sims did a piss poor job, but when you turn loose the DE on a four man line and expect the back to block him, that is a poor scheme.

I also agree that Vad looks terrible in the pocket. He looks absolutely terrified and could help himself a lot stepping up or flushing left or right to avoid pressure.

He looks absolutely in over his head is what he looks. Not hatin on the kid but I think he belongs somewhere else in a lesser division. He's not a D1 qb period. And the OL argument is spot on. Blocking schemes and techniques are horribly wrong. Have I ever mentioned to you guys about how formerly a one Mr. L**** basically held the same sort of dance recitals on his OL? Went over like a lead balloon the way I remember it. Same öööö thing to me.

I think recruiting is the biggest problem.

There is evidence that CPJ's scheme will work when we have the right talent.......even with Sewak coaching and our blocking scheme. We simply do not have the horses (at various positions) to run what needs to be run when we face greater talent.

I still believe that CPJ is a good coach. His offense works and we have seen that it can beat the factories. Aside from that, he also does a great job in helping young men become great men that will contribute in a positive way to society. He also makes sure that they get their degree.

Back to the recruiting thing..........there are a bunch of reasons why this an issue. Just to name a few........ 1) Lack of majors 2) High academic standards 3) Lack of financial flexibility that other schools have 4) Negative image that recruits have of our offense. Out of those factors, what does CPJ truly have control over? Bottom line is we need to recruit better to be able to compete. CPJ is a great coach, but I don't know if he (or anyone else for that matter) can get over the recruiting issue.

I remember one play in particular where one of OL gets to the outside on a pitch, and he's coming up on a DB. He could have absolutely flattened him to a man, but he dives at the ground, whiffing him, and it blew up the play.

I just can't stand it. If we're gonna be 7-5 anyway, I'd just as soon play big boy football instead of this crap.

After 6 years, it all points to the coach. O-line, blocking techniques, blocking schemes, confusion on what to do on the offense.......

I remember one play in particular where one of OL gets to the outside on a pitch, and he's coming up on a DB. He could have absolutely flattened him to a man, but he dives at the ground, whiffing him, and it blew up the play.

I just can't stand it. If we're gonna be 7-5 anyway, I'd just as soon play big boy football instead of this crap.
+1 Right there with you.

He looks absolutely in over his head is what he looks. Not hatin on the kid but I think he belongs somewhere else in a lesser division. He's not a D1 qb period. And the OL argument is spot on. Blocking schemes and techniques are horribly wrong. Have I ever mentioned to you guys about how formerly a one Mr. L**** basically held the same sort of dance recitals on his OL? Went over like a lead balloon the way I remember it. Same öööö thing to me.

If he's running for his life on every play, how would you expect him to look? The commentators even said that it looked like we were running screens because the protection was so bad.

There is evidence that CPJ's scheme will work when we have the right talent.......even with Sewak coaching and our blocking scheme. We simply do not have the horses (at various positions) to run what needs to be run when we face greater talent.

I still believe that CPJ is a good coach. His offense works and we have seen that it can beat the factories. Aside from that, he also does a great job in helping young men become great men that will contribute in a positive way to society. He also makes sure that they get their degree.

Back to the recruiting thing..........there are a bunch of reasons why this an issue. Just to name a few........ 1) Lack of majors 2) High academic standards 3) Lack of financial flexibility that other schools have 4) Negative image that recruits have of our offense. Out of those factors, what does CPJ truly have control over? Bottom line is we need to recruit better to be able to compete. CPJ is a great coach, but I don't know if he (or anyone else for that matter) can get over the recruiting issue.

This, plus just plain ööööing execution. Now, this does reflect on the coaching staff in a large part, but when it comes down to it, these guys just can't execute simple stuff. There's no excuse for David Sims, a senior, to be completely unable to even get in a guy's way in pass pro. This wasn't even just one "oops". This was a repeated failure of his. I don't expect the guy to be Willie Roaf, but öööö, that was pathetic.

Vad lacks any pocket presence (though, to be fair, it's rare he can just sit back in a pocket whatsoever). He often bails and throws off his back foot or off-balance in general (I can't stand seeing him throw himself to the ground when following through a pass), and it usurps both his accuracy and throw power/velocity. He's also still hesitant on his reads, and turns plays that he could at least salvage a few yards out of into negative plays.

I could go on. The, at times, pathetic attempts at cutting people; WRs not fighting for position/balls; our defense's aversion to actually tackling guys. That is where I feel the coaching failure is. I don't give a rat's ass if we're running the 3O or whatever else. If you can't execute simple öööö, it'll get anything you run blown up.

Leadership. We do not have a leader at the QB position w that has the necessary grit and leadership qualities to win. This is Paul Johnson's fault. He was handed the only leader we have had in his tenure (Nesbitt). The inability to find and field a leader at QB will be his demise.

For all the other issues, the biggest thing that needs fixing is recruiting AKA more exceptions, jock major, etc. We have to have better Jimmy and Joes. But we also have to have a more attractive package than the 3O to get the better players.

The biggest problem IMO is the offense needs to get back to the basics. The introduction of the diamond, shotgun, and pistol has caused several problems. The SAs have more assignments, reads, and keys on their plates to digest with limited reps and heavy workload, and they lose focus. As a result, the players seem mediocre to bad at everything rather than disciplined and precise at a few things. Focusing on a limited playbook with special attention to little things like timing and footwork would benefit both the SAs and the coaches. The new packages seem to have gotten CPJ out of rhythm on playcalling and in making adjustments.

The introduction of the new spread attacks works only if you commit to it. Most spread teams are up tempo, stretch the field horizontally and vertically, and are not under center. Tech does none of those things consistently. This sprinkling of formations and plays just to compensate for personnel, to appease the fan base and media, and use as a selling point to recruits is the problem.

I agree with getting back to the basics. I know we like to talk about how CPJ runs a spread option and not the triple option, but I think we're being a bit delusional there. The triple option is the foundation of the offense whether we want to admit it or not. We don't see the triple option too much these days. In one thread - I can't find it - a poster guessed that GT ran the triple option maybe 6 times against Ole Miss. GT played 66 snaps on offense according the box score. Assuming it is true that GT ran the triple option only 6 times or so against Ole Miss, then something is seriously wrong with the offense when such a fundamental play is run less than 10% of the time. How the offense got to that state I don't know. Maybe too much time was spent on the diamond and pistol. Maybe CPJ is spending too much time in his head coach's role and not enough in his offensive coordinator's role.

In Birddog's (the Navy blogger) analysis of the GT-MTSU game last year he found that GT wasn't able to run the triple option in that game because the QB couldn't properly react to a mesh charge by MTSU. To me, that is a major issue. The mesh charge is considered to be a tough read, but it is a read the QB has to be able to properly make.

So the biggest thing I would fix is the apparent inability to run the triple option.

What sucks the most is that the Oline can't pass block and Vad Lee can't run the option. Talk about recipe for failure.

Basically if our rocket toss or BB dive are taken away, we're going to struggle on offense as a whole.

CPJ is a great coach, but I don't know if he (or anyone else for that matter) can get over the recruiting issue.

I dunno about the great coach thing. Still not yet proven he can run a BCS program in all phases. Regarding recruiting, no coach can recruit with one arm behind their back. No one's coming in here and pulling in a top 10 class. However, a coach can still win a few battles with the big boys for some of the talent that actually wants an education too. Paul Johnson has two hands tied behind his back, though, because of the additional negative perception of his offense. PJ makes a bad situation worse.

Bingo, you've hit the nail on the head. The whole point of this crappy offense was to give us a competitive advantage to overcome our supposed other shortcomings.

I
In Birddog's (the Navy blogger) analysis of the GT-MTSU game last year he found that GT wasn't able to run the triple option in that game because the QB couldn't properly react to a mesh charge by MTSU. To me, that is a major issue. The mesh charge is considered to be a tough read, but it is a read the QB has to be able to properly make.

So the biggest thing I would fix is the apparent inability to run the triple option.

What is a mesh charge? I assume this is where the defense crashes the mesh without doing any read/reacting?

What is a mesh charge? I assume this is where the defense crashes the mesh without doing any read/reacting?

More or less. The DE races hard towards the mesh instead of immediately stepping down the LOS to take the RB or immediately stepping out wide to take the QB. Done right, it is difficult for the QB to tell if the defender is looking to tackle the QB or the RB.

The fans.

Agreed. This place has devolved into a delusional circle-jerk of bigrcry. People are either delusional as to the realities of how Tech fits in to a modern college football landscape, or they're ready to completely retool the entire Institute to win a few more games. Like most political discussion these days, there is a total lack of perspective or moderate opinion/understanding.

I absolutely agree that we need to get back to running our system. Probably because he sees our guys competing against more talented players, it seems Paul Johnson has lost the conviction that he can run option football consistently in big games and succeed. Coach, call the game like you did when you had Nesbitt, Dwyer, Thomas, Allen and Jones. And, if you can't do that because the players we have just aren't that good, then hit the recruiting trail and change this.

Back