BOB and Roof

gtmg

Varsity Lurker
For all of you guys who think that BOB is the problem, you will get your chance to see next year. He is Gailey's scape goat. IMHO when left alone he does a fine job, he has been limited by Gailey and quaterback issues. Lawbee maybe Nix will get his chance. I distinctly remember him being earily similiar to Suggs in his career,though he has a good reputation as a coach. My concerns are recruiting. We had a poor year last year due to the transition and are struggling mightily this year. Two years of poor recruiting will be severly damaging to our fragile program. We have to remember that a coach must be special here to be succesful. He may not be well liked but he must coach often times with less talent or size. He also must be an excellent recruiter to dig up unfinished gems that others pass on. I think O'Leary with his staff did that. By the way the sign of excellent maanger is to surround himself with excellent people. Has Gailey done that? Tenuta was a good hire but look what Roof has done with far less talent at Duke! I wonder what he could have done with our very experienced team.
The real question is are we better off with Gailey than the staff we had last year?

Originally posted by gtmg:
The real question is are we better off with Gailey than the staff we had last year?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not just no....but 'helle' no.

1. No evidence that CG wants or needs a "scapegoat".

2. BOB is still considered a fine young coach universally. Just not on the various Tech boards.

3. Roof may have done fine with this year's team, or we may have looked just the same as we did the last two years. Duke is better this year due to Ted and better players.

4. Who was limiting BOB last year if the "fault" this year is Gailey? Everybody talks about how the Seattle bowl was such a change for both Roof and BOB. I guess O'Leary was a sorry coach and held them both back?

5. We did not have a poor recruiting class last year, we had a small class. For those who can't tell the difference I can offer no help. I would suggest however that you check Rivals and look at average stars. With a normal size (25) class we would have ranked 25-30 if we had kept up the same quality.

6. While some think BOB is the "problem", most think we aren't getting the production we need from the QB spot.

7. Some of you may be surprised to know that among Gator fans who have had their fill of Zook, Chan is high on the list of replacements they would like.

8. If we are so "fragile" that only a "special" coach can succeed here and a "poor" recruiting year will be "severely damaging" we should give up football now before we go down the tubes. There is obviously no way we can ever hope to maintain any kind of program.

Gtmg, I will agree we will most likely have a change in the OC position next year. You have made a statement, "he is Gailey's scapegoat". Do you have proof of that or is that your opinion?

You claim BOB has been limited by Gailey. Some might take the opinion, Gailey has been limited by BOB. So, the only resolution to the situation is to see what happens next year if Nix were to replace BOB. Only then, can we make difinitive statements.

I think we all agree, recruiting is essential. We can neither blame Gailey for last year's recruiting, nor give him credit for it. It was a wash, as he was not here last year for the recruiting wars. His participation was very limited.

This year is different, the ball is in his court, and we can only wait until the February date and check the results. Until then, we know nothing. We can and will attribute this year's recruiting results to Gailey.

I agree a good manager surrounds himself with good people. It is rather difficult to determine if this was true of O'Leary. The only one that tended to have made a big difference was Friegden. Before he arrived and after he left, things were not so rosy with O'Leary.

Roof had a terrible time with Tech's defense. We were the worst in the country on pass defense, and the worst in the world on third-and-long. How much of that was attributable to O'Leary's influence on the defense is hard to judge. I believe Duke's pass defense is still pretty bad.

Whether Roof would have performed as well as Tenuta this year is debatable and can not be proven one way or the other. I do know we fell far short on defense last year in the passing category, and we supposed to be one of the top ten preseason teams.

Now, this team, just like last year's team, has not performed to expectations. We will find out for sure next year, if there is a change in the OC, whether Gailey has surrounded himself with good coaches. If the OC is changed, Gailey will have no excuse for a less than expected performance for next year.

Are we better off with Gailey than we would have been had the same staff returned from last year? There is no way of telling. We can only guess, and, I am sure, each of us has our own opinions.

As you have stated, next year will tell the tale.

wink.gif

Roof hasn't exactly been a massive success at Duke. They are still giving up 378 yd/gm on the season and is giving up over 400 yd/gm over the past three games. You also take into account that they had a young team last year and added some better players to the starting lineup and this improvement was bound to happen.

He has done a good job but if you watch the Duke games you will see that his style hasn't changed since going to Duke so I don't think he was held back.

Either way it is apples to oranges but I don't see how we can complain about our defense that is one of the best in the nation right now. Especially when you consider we are without our star DE and have been without some of our other studs at times this season. Tenuta has done a great job, IMHO.

gtmg, we had anything but a poor recruiting class last year. I'm one that always post that the real barometer of a class is NOT the rags/mags/services etc., but simply who else offers the kid. Major programs today can't afford many mistakes, so if they offer a kid he is probably pretty good. I listed a couple of weeks ago, on The Hive, by position who actually OFFERED each member of last year's class and it is very impressive. If we can sign kids this FEB with the kind of offers that last year's class rec'd we will be doing great. If this class by and large is one that does not receive offers from other major programs, then we are likely in some real trouble. The exceptions like Heller are not what we can achieve our goals with.

The size of the class was pretty much preordained due to lack of slots available. The previous staff did a great job of setting up things and the current staff did well at maintaining it throughout the transition. THWG

I'm still amazed at how some people are just throwing in the towel with Gailey. I'm not talking about BW. I'm talking about some others.

Gailey inherited an underachieving 7-5 team. It looks like this year, with all our injuries and all of the transition issues, we're gonna go at least 7-5, maybe 8-4.

Our defense is much better, even without our pass rushing DE. Our offense is not. Our offense is breaking in a new QB and they're starting to move the ball a little better in the last 3 games. If our offense hadn't lost Hollings, I think we'd have beaten Wake Forest. Even without him, we should have beaten FSU.

As for recruiting, Gailey's 1st class was a good class, considering we didn't have many schollys to give. He's working on his 2nd class. We'll find out about that class in February...no, actually we'll find out about that class in a few years after we see who pans out and who does not.

I think the future looks bright with Gailey. I don't know anything about BOB and scapegoating and such. That's all blather talk for these boards and supposed insiders. Let's just let the off-season play out and see what happens.

Bug and belly - just how long does it take to break in a "new" QB that stood on the sidelines all last year and should know the offense and has now played 10 games. At what point do we not get interceptions in the end zone?

Apparently Chan decided that AJ would be the QB even before spring practice started. Hall realized this and left during the middle of spring practice because he was not getting a fair shake. It didn't matter to Chan that Hall knew the offense better because he didn't plan to run that offense anyway (which is obvious now).

All of Chan's blather about how Bilbo was too talented to stand beside him was just typical Chan-talk...it didn't mean a thing. Bill O'Brien got banished to the pressbox for trying to send in Bilbo and then arguing about it with Chan on the sideline.

This is Chan's team...this is Chan's offense...this is Chan's recruiting (or lack thereof, to be more precise).

We will pay for the Chan mistake for a long, long, long time....you can mark it down.

NCJacket, I just reread your post under this thread. I think you made good points in your post.

BeeWare, can you give us any references or data backing up your declared statements of truth? I have not seen anything from the media, coaches, nor rumors regarding the validity of your statements. Could you give us a hint as to where this information came from!

If appropriate, remove the following avatar sticker and assign to your post.

bsmeter.gif

Beeware, I usually ignore your idiotic ramblings but I can't let this one pass. "Bill O'Brien got banished to the pressbox for trying to send in Bilbo and then arguing about it with Chan on the sideline." Just where does that one come from? Do you have any evidence of this other than your fevered imagination?

Many Coordinators work from the press box. Tenuta for one and Randy Edsell when he was here. BOB's playcalling has improved noticeably since he went back upstairs, the offense has opened up quite a bit.

We all understand you hate Braine, and don't like Chan. But do you constantly have to make crap up to fit your demented little view of the world?

Originally posted by DaveTech:

At what point do we not get interceptions in the end zone?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not in this life, is my guess. When people play games, they sometimes make mistakes. As I recall, we won the previous 2 games when our guy intercepted their guy on their last play.

I believe posters should not make things up. IMHO, that suggests serious character problems. Hopefully, that is not the case here.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by DaveTech:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not in this life, is my guess. When people play games, they sometimes make mistakes. As I recall, we won the previous 2 games when our guy intercepted their guy on their last play.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, I can't wait 'til Jesus comes back. We're gonna suit him up in White and Gold and bring him in the game for these clutch situations.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by bugboy:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by DaveTech:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not in this life, is my guess. When people play games, they sometimes make mistakes. As I recall, we won the previous 2 games when our guy intercepted their guy on their last play.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, I can't wait 'til Jesus comes back. We're gonna suit him up in White and Gold and bring him in the game for these clutch situations.
tongue.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Some Tech fans wouldn't be happen even then!!
wink.gif

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
I want to say that I enjoyed chatting last night with everyone except beeware. Last week he was polite and enjoyable. Last night he wasn't.
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT,
Just to correct the record. This is a complete and total lie. I hardly said anything in chat last night and there was absolutely no problems. At least be honest.

Back