BOB's value to GT football

kingbee

Varsity Lurker
BOB\'s value to GT football

I think that way too many people on this board underestimate BOB's value to the GT football program. First of all, there was no decline in our offensive production in 2001, despite the fact that Godsey was not 100%. (I'm sure O'Brien had nothing to do with this, right?) As for this season, many factors could explain the problems we had with our offense. One, I believe, is the fact that CG claimed that he kept BOB to run the offense that had been so successful at Tech, and then did not allow him to do so. I saw very little this year that resembled our offense from 2001. Granted, some of that was due to injuries, but more I believe, was due to CG's conservative offensive philosophy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I do believe our offense can and will get worse in 2003, especially if we are starting a freshman QB. As I said before to all of you who are glad to see BOB leave, be careful what you wish for. He certainly is good enough for Friedgen to come after him, and I expect to see him as OC at Maryland before too long.

Re: BOB\'s value to GT football

Not saying he isnt' a good coach, but it will be interesting to see what position he coaches for Ralph. Remember he had RBs here before Ralph left and Taffe is the OC/QB coach at MD. BOB may end up with LBs. My only concerns with BOB was around his experience. Whether he was ready to be OC and whether he was ready to coach a new QB. I do wish him well though.

Originally posted by kingbee:
I think that way too many people on this board underestimate BOB's value to the GT football program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">kingbee,
You nailed it.

BOB was the class of this staff...and it is a very big loss to TECH. But he was not allowed to do his job; he was just kept on to be a designated scapegoat for this past season.

It is no surprise whatsoever that he is leaving. I pointed this out last year when he took a good look at Gailey and the staff he brought in, and tried to leave last year. Although I didn't want to lose a coach of his ability, I said then and I say now that it is better for him to move on so that Chan can get the proper credit or blame for what it happening to TECH's football program.

Obviously, the Fridge knows the caliber of coach that O'Brien is and it looks like Stanford has already contacted him, too.

He is well thought of in the coaching community and I don't think the fact that Chan completely shut down the offense and pushed him aside in the process will be held against him....except perhaps on this board, where every possible excuse is needed for what Chan is doing to our program.

Let's make Chan the offensive co-ordinator and give him full credit or blame for what goes on. We still have plenty of talent...coaching is what we lack....and we just lost a good one.

Originally posted by beeware:
I said then and I say now that it is better for him to move on so that Chan can get the proper credit or blame for what it happening to TECH's football program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Geez BW, I think youv'e hit a new low here. It sounds to me as if you are wishing the worst for Tech in order to see CG fail as well. Where does your discontent for one man end and your dislike for the entire program begin?

Originally posted by yellowfalcon56:
It sounds to me as if you are wishing the worst....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yellow,
If it sounds that way to you then I would suggest a new hearing aid....or maybe some reading comprehension classes.

Yellowfalcon56, nail on head about bw. Kingbee, respectfully disagree on bo'b. 01 off. succesful despite him, and 02 showed his ability, AT THIS POINT. He has in no way helped AJ or DeBo improve. But it is true that somebody was not allowed to do their job - that is Braine because CG was not his choice and clough must be held responsible if things go any farther down.

I see that BW's at it again! BW tell me how do you know BOB is so well respected in coaching circles? I must assume that you know many coaches starting with pee wee football all the way up to the pros. Oops you must not know many pro coaches seems to me I remember he was passed over at the Vikings for another. But then what do the Viking coach's know they should have just asked you.
puke.gif
Am I glad he's gone, yep if for no other reason than to tick off BW.

So it appears you are all saying that now that we are rid of that bum O'Brien and CG brings in his own REAL OC, by the fourth game or so we should be leading the conference in offense. Or at least better than lowly Md. Look how stupid they are for highering BOB. Are we taking bets on that?

Originally posted by DaveTech:
. Look how stupid they are for highering BOB.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">"Highering" him? Are they putting lifts in his shoes?

Yes I agree. I'm not a big BOB fan, but BOB was not in charge of the offence in 2002. CG was. In the uva game, TECH scores 23 points in the first half. In the second half, no points. It was like CG was calling the plays so not to lose. And the duke game looked to be the same way. 17 points in the first half. No points in the second half. But the weather did not help any. IF CG dose the same thing in 2003, it will be a long year. Its been along time since TECH was a run right, run left, run up the middle team. Ball control dose not always win games(f$u). And being conservative is not always the way to go.

My next concern is that CG sees TECH as just another job. It's like he has no LOVE for TECH. He seems not to care about TECH or TECH's history. I HATE THE REDNECK NATION, but at lest they got someone who cares about their history. And wants to become part of it. Can CG say the same thing? I don't thank so. I hope I'm wrong.

THWG

soapbox.gif

DaveTech, just curious. Will you get down off your high horse if BOB is hired as the LB COACH at MD?

FWIW I think BOBs a good young coach, just doesn't appear he was quite ready for the job of teaching a young QB the ropes. IIRC he had never coached QBs prior to last year. I'm sure he will get another shot and will likely do a better job given the experience he's gained.

Also didn't see anybody saying anything about leading the conference in anything. But I do hope we will have somebody working with our QBs who can do a better job teaching the positon.

BOB's value to GT Football was: very little

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by DaveTech:
. Look how stupid they are for highering BOB.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">"Highering" him? Are they putting lifts in his shoes?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dang! Well I guess it's out now, flubber is our secret weapon...

I'm no football genius but if BO'B is the upcoming star that so many say he is why didn't he recieve more offers earlier to go other places??? This late HIRING (post Feb. 5th) is extremely unusual... most coaching changes are done during or immediately after the holidays/bowl games... yes I know about the Stanford opportunity rumors... but were there no others interested in 'stealing' BO'B from TECH??? If it was obvious to me that the CG/BO'B offense wasn't firing properly and that the logical one to go would be BO'B why weren't there interviews/ plane trips/ and job offers just pouring into BO'B aka offensive guru's mailbox???
I've read BO'Bs bio... he's not a seasoned offensive mind by any stretch of the imagination... Linebackers coach, runningbacks coach, QB coach, offensive coordinator... it does seem to me that his successful spell as a coach on the offensive side was while under Ralph Freidgen... and although the numbers appear to be similar while he's been OC... it is plain that he is no RF... in game adjustments, half time adjustments, and execution as a whole seemed to drop off enormously the past two seasons...
And while RF perhaps sees something in BO'B that I've not been privy to I feel that the OC position was just a bit early for BO'B... if RF returns BO'B to linebackers coach to fill the open position on his staff we will all be scratching our heads I'm sure... BUT if RF keeps him on the offensive side of the ball and advances him to OC if/when Charlie Tafft departs then we'll know that RF does consider him to be a rising star under RF's own Moon...
Until then we can only hope that CG hires himself a good OC... one that he can work closely with and return the Jackets to winning ways... (beeware I know you're rolling your eyes but nobody offered BO'B diddley so until he gets another shot to prove himself put a cork in it!!!)
I also find it very intersesting that RF suggested BO'B as replacement and then proceeded to kick our arses the past two seasons... hmmmm seems that RF might be as crafty away from the field as on it...

I think that way too many people on this board underestimate BOB's value to the GT football program. First of all, there was no decline in our offensive production in 2001, despite the fact that Godsey was not 100%. (I'm sure O'Brien had nothing to do with this, right?) As for this season, many factors could explain the problems we had with our offense. One, I believe, is the fact that CG claimed that he kept BOB to run the offense that had been so successful at Tech, and then did not allow him to do so. I saw very little this year that resembled our offense from 2001. Granted, some of that was due to injuries, but more I believe, was due to CG's conservative offensive philosophy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I do believe our offense can and will get worse in 2003, especially if we are starting a freshman QB. As I said before to all of you who are glad to see BOB leave, be careful what you wish for. He certainly is good enough for Friedgen to come after him, and I expect to see him as OC at Maryland before too long.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess it was CG's conservative philosophy that resulted in the FSU game plan where we threw 45 passes. I guess it was CG's conservative philosophy that resulted in the Clemson game plan where a healthy Hollings only got 23 carries and we were constantly in 5-wide formations. I guess it was CG's conservative philosophy that resulted in 6 INT's in the SV Bowl where no matter how bad our passing game worked, we kept winging the ball downfield.

I don't believe for one second that the 2002 offense was a CG offense. Sure, he had a hand in it. He even overruled some plays. But he let BOB run this offense for the most part.

I don't wish BOB any ill will. But I think he has to shoulder some blame for our offense last year...CG has to also shoulder the blame, as he's the head coach.

Originally posted by beeware:
He is well thought of in the coaching community and I don't think the fact that Chan completely shut down the offense and pushed him aside in the process will be held against him....except perhaps on this board, where every possible excuse is needed for what Chan is doing to our program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

I think that way too many people on this board underestimate BOB's value to the GT football program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BOB was NOT the man you all give him credit for.

Unfortunately for CG, he stepped into this big pile of dawg shiat someone left in the middle of Grant Field. Any coach would need at least one year to get on track after walking into such a mess. When the Fridge left town, Tech was very fortunate to have Godsey as their QB. He was a solid college QB and he knew the system as well as BOB. Godsey made BOB look good when the Fridge left, not the other way around.

The fact is, losing O'Liar AND all QB's with half a brain had everything to do with having such an AWWWWFUL season. (Definition of AWWWFUL season: Beat two or less teams with a winning record.)

With the QB's Tech had last year, and the injuries to the RB's, even the Fridge would have had a difficult time. I hope you all run CG out of town, because I know you could do a lot worse with your next replacement.

The things I've read and heard about BOB are what make me believe he could do the job.

One of the interviews I heard, I did not take lightly because who the interviewee was - Ralph Friedgen. He was on 790 the Zone after he accepted the Maryland job. When asked about his successor, he said, "I brought BOB here as a graduate assistant. He's a Brown University grad who is extremely smart and very knowledgeable of the game. He grew tremendously over the years in being my right hand and learning this offense - faster then I would expect most. Billy O'Brien's coaching successes are ahead of him and he'll do an exceptional job for Georgia Tech."

I consider Coach Friedgen a legend as an OC. I truly believe he spoke of what he knew. I mentioned to someone a few weeks ago that if Coach O'Brien were to leave Tech - I would have no doubt that Coach Friedgen would jump on the chance to get him at Maryland. The person I said that to is the one that called me and told me he was leaving, and then said guess where he's going?

For what ever reason he's moving on, he served Tech well and played a key role Tech's successful offense in the Friedgen years and I do think he will thrive at Maryland. I do wish him well and hope that for all our future games with Maryland, he does not come back to haunt us like Ralph is already doing!

Well, said, Ms., and great insight by the way.
Like the old shrimper said: "Facts is Facts"

Refresh my memory here anyone. Did Fridge try to lure O'Brien away from Tech when he left for Terp-town? I'm trying to remember how that scenario played out.

One would think that if he was as high on his value to a team as an OC as Fridge thought, he would have pursued it.

I wouldn't think it uncommon or disrespectful for an OC who is taking on a head coaching job to take alone a position coach with him to promote him to OC--especially if he was the potential "genious" implied.

Back