Boston Globe reports ACC targets BC as 12th team (link)

I think MOST saw this coming. I just hope we move fast and put this behind us.

This whole matter was a NECESSARY PR nightmare.

Maybe we could add Samford since it seems we're dead set on scheduling them anyway!

I agree with Stinger, we got VT and Miami so getting USC would make sense - BC will be isolated from the conference.

Yep -

Matches up with minimal expense adjustment for travel, plus the super enhancement of the infamous "Rivalry between the Carolinas", not just in Football, but especially in basketball. Didn't Bobby Cremins play in the midst of the Carolina Rivalry? Stay away from the Big East - we already gobbled up their best - it's time to reach elsewhere

Anyone else like me have no problem with BC?

1. Pretty respectable football program. (Between us and them, they're the last to beat UGA)

2. Pretty respectable hoops program.

3. TV Market

4. Crabcakes on roadtrips.

I say get them and get them NOW if possible to give us 12 next year.

I think B.C. is the best fit of any school left that would be realistic. I know most of us would prefer Florida or Penn St. but that won't happen.

Originally posted by JacksonJacket:
I agree with Stinger, we got VT and Miami so getting USC would make sense - BC will be isolated from the conference.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You don't think Southern Cal will be isolated from the conference? They're a long way away from all the other schools. Plus, I don't think they'd want to leave the Pac-10. They've got a good thing going with Pete Carroll right now.

chilidog,

OK I'll play!

They are a coastal team so we could still keep "Coastal" in our conference name.

Let's go after USC!

They are a coastal team so we could still keep "Coastal" in our conference name.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pretty cool band and fight song too! The 'Tusk' performance with Fleetwood Mac still ranks among my favorites.

Mighty fine cheerleaders, or do they call them dance team? too.

BTW, I don't especially like the BC option but don't know that we have a better one now. Can't see SC or KY leaving the SEC and that doesn't leave much else to choose from. Dont' think I could take WVU or Marshall, maybe Pitt?

I vote for BC, UK hasn't shown me anything, USC has its in-state rivalry w/ Clemson already, they're just don't bring that much to the table, Duck Notre Fame for any and all reasons, especially that damn movie "Rudy", Pitt I can't work up any feeling for, BC puts us in a market with a lot of our alumni, adds some more flavor to the ACC.

Only reason I mention Pitt is that they do have decent football and basketball and they're closer. Boston just seems so far away. Can't say Pitt excites me either, just looking for options.

I know this won't happen but I would like to see Vandy in the ACC.

Knowing it's all about money, I understand ND getting an invite. What about Louisville?

I've said for a while that Pitt has the biggest upside. I don't buy into the BC TV market. I know too many people from that area, and they are simply not college football fans. You might be able to make an argument for basketball though. Sure there is a huge TV market there, but it doesn't do any good if no one actually tunes in to your product.

Pitt has history in both sports. I think being in the Big East has hurt them more than anything. They setup at least two regional rivalries in VT and Maryland. I think they could develop another good one with NCSU.

On the academic side, Pitt doesn't add as much as BC. However, I don't think they drag it down in the least bit. Also, they fit better with the geographical picture IMHO.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
What about Louisville?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Seems like they were the school that was talked about more than anyone before all this expansion stuff got started.

They're too good for C-USA.

Decent football team, Pitino is their basketball coach, in-state rivalry with an SEC school. Makes sense to me.

I know this won't happen but I would like to see Vandy in the ACC.

'71, seriously, why? If its a personal motive, fine. Otherwise, do they bring anything other than a guaranteed win?

My choices:

1. Coastal Carolina (just kidding)
grin.gif

2. UCF
3. USF

We need to jump on one of these up and coming Florida schools.

Originally posted by ccujacket:
My choices:

1. Coastal Carolina (just kidding)
grin.gif

2. UCF
3. USF

We need to jump on one of these up and coming Florida schools.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You must be joking?

Back