Boston Globe reports ACC targets BC as 12th team (link)

I have always been a proponent of keeping the ACC true to it's basic geographical form. A team from the Carolinas or the Virginias makes the most sense to me.

Vandy, UK, Louisville, and especially ND (the midWest?) just don't compute unless you buy into the Penn St./Big Ten model for pretentious conference names (by my reasoning there is no question that PSU "belongs" in the Big East and ND in the "Big Ten"). Atlantic Coast Conference members should be on the Atlantic Coast. That's not thinking outside the box, I know, but the box is the way to go very often.

BC, while a long (distance) shot, is definitely Atlantic Coast. You can't get much more Atlantic Coast than Boston, Mass but they would be sort of a lone member of the Northern tier. A little peculiar but I'm finding I can get used to the idea. Good school, good "Up East" market, for both television AND recruiting; and pretty decent athletics across the board.

I still have a little problem with their being so far North though. Don't they play hockey at BC?
Nothing wrong with that at all but how does hockey fit in with the rest of the conference?

Well, we have a lot of hockey on the board!

peepwallA.gif

Boston College is, IMHO, a certainty as the 12th school and, as I posted in a thread the other day, I'd almost bet money that they will accept an invite before the end of the season.

Wes Durham was interviewing everyone's favorite AD on 790 about 3 weeks ago and Wes asked if maybe BC would be a strong consideration because of the "class in which they handled the rejection earlier". DB answered, "I think that is certainly something that goes in their favor and it wouldn't be a big surprise for anyone if they were to receive a bid". Of course, he followed that up with statments about how he didn't know anything specific about the talks because that was an issue that the school presidents were discussing...not the AD's.

My take on it, though, is that BC would make a great addition to the ACC. Here's hoping we close the deal soon!

Even though I think Boston College would be a good addition, my first choice would be South Carolina if they could be swayed into the deal.

Another option would be University of Central Florida since they would balance out the Southern Division with the Northern Division.

The only problem I can see with Boston College is the stretching of the league a little farther in mileage.

North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Georgia Tech
Clemson
SOUTH CAROLINA
Miami
Florida State
NCSU

OR

Georgia Tech
Clemson
CENTRAL FLORIDA
Miami
Florida state
NCSU

If it is Boston College, I guess it could be

Boston College
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
North Carolina

Georgia Tech
NCSU
Duke
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

It will be interesting to see how the teams are split into divisions.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Another option would be University of Central Florida since they would balance out the Southern Division with the Northern Division.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think that adding a team for geographical balance is a very good idea unless they have something to add to the conference.

UCF would be a big step down for the ACC.

Probably not even worth arguing, considering that it wouldn't happen in a million years.

My preference in order (realistic candidates! Non-BCS or Big East schools):

1. WVU
2. Pitt
3. UConn

I have never liked BC. Too far north. I think UConn has much, MUCH higher potential to be a big-time program than BC. Plus they already have hoops nailed down.

LLCJ,

Why Vandy? Yes, seriously (remember not a prediction, don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell), for the following reasons.

1. Old time rivalry. We have been playing them since 1892. Yes, thats longer then anyone.

2. Push over? I believe Vanderbilt could turn around its program, much like Wake Forest, with the right support. I don’t think the support or turn around will ever occur in the SEC.

3. Why? Vandy has higher academic standards than the Alamamas Auberwns, and Georgias, no hints of cheating or NCAA violations in Vandy’s program. Frankly, a better fit ACC than the SEC for this reason alone.

4. They have gotten rid of their AD. This alone should be an inspiration for us to get closer to Vandy.

5. It’s a hell of a lot closer ,geographically speaking, than BC, Pitt or Syracuse, or UConn (god forbid).

Why won't the ACC go after Vanderbilt? We are chasing the tv money and ND or BC is where its at, and stealing an SEC team would insure a counter-strike with the SEC going after FSU.

Hmmmmm, free shoes for Vandy?

Not so fast my friends!!!!

According to the Miami board BC is unlikely... BC would have to pay an exit fee of 5 Million as opposed to the 1 million Big East exit fee VT and UM had to pay..The big east got smart and uped the ante for leaving...We dont need the yankees in our conference anyway..As others have mentioned...BC would be isolated way up there..I dont think this happens or at least i hope not.....Keep in mind: sure the Boston Globe wants them in...There will be all kind of rumors similiar to what happened this past summer...Until we finally do add that 12th team...

BC would have to pay an exit fee of 5 Million as opposed to the 1 million
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not true at all. The Big East meetings are forthcoming and the ante has yet to be upped. I think the 1 million has been doubled to 2 million which I could see the ACC member schools paying to lure BC.

Look for the Big East, along with other conferences to substantially increase their respective buyouts in the coming months but obtaining BC is still very possible at this point.

I dont pretend to know the real facts..Only reporting what fellow Big east brethren Miami people are saying of BC..I for one care nothing about adding BC..Too far North for our conference imho..i hope we stay patient and pick off a South Carolina, or a UF from the sec..at least Broyles and others in the sec are scared of us doing just that....I would rather have Penn State, Pitt or West VA.. Before BC.....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
I dont pretend to know the real facts..Only reporting what fellow Big east brethren Miami people are saying of BC..I for one care nothing about adding BC..Too far North for our conference imho..i hope we stay patient and pick off a South Carolina, or a UF from the sec..at least Broyles and others in the sec are scared of us doing just that....I would rather have Penn State, Pitt or West VA.. Before BC.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The exit fee from the SEC is in the 7-10MM range. Not that any SEC team would turn down the revenue share that they're currently a part of anyway.

BC is the best realistic possibility at this time. If the ACC can get them before the Nov Big East meetings, I believe there would be a $2MM exit fee (if they join immediately - 2004) and a $1MM exit fee to join in 2005. After the Big East meetings the exit fee will increase to $5MM or greater.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Well, we have a lot of hockey on the board!

peepwallA.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good one, ahso.

By the way, boys, I am sitting around in a New York City apartment, drinking martinis made with Plymouth gin (Travis McGee's brand) and olives stuffed with chopped lemon peel! Ain't that some sh*t!

Back