Bowl Talk

Demetra put this out there. Seems favorable...

Minnesota ranked 118th in the nation in yards per carry allowed (5.2).
Tech faced three teams this year with a higher average: Virginia Tech, Bowling Green and Louisville. We averaged 59 points and 460 rushing yards in those 3 games.

I'd say this isn't a great indicator of their defense as it currently sits though. They fired their DC halfway through the season. Prior to his firing they had allowed Nebraska, Illinois and a few others run rampant over them. Afterwards though they were stout against a very good Wisconsin run game and Purdue. They improved dramatically after they got a new play caller on defense.

I was there -endzone seats and had a perfect view of the perfect pass Rampley threw into a Spartan’s chest from our own endzone. Thank God Sparty dropped it or we would have lost.

Roof and company put the clamps on Lorenzo White that night. Good times after a couple of really painful seasons.
A "couple"???:lol:

Only two were REALLY painful.

1-9-1
1-10.
And one of those "1's" was beating Bear Bryant. ESPN was pretty new, but I stayed up to see the replay 4:00 am on Sunday night and went to work straight from the game. Awesome.

And one of those "1's" was beating Bear Bryant. ESPN was pretty new, but I stayed up to see the replay 4:00 am on Sunday night and went to work straight from the game. Awesome.
I was there in Birmingham for that one.

Only two were REALLY painful.

1-9-1
1-10.
Don't forget the 3-8 finish in 1983, which included the loss to Furman...Curry responded the next year in 1984 by not allowing the players to wear the "GT" insignia on their helmet the whole season, until the very last game. Tech opened with a 16-6 win over Alabama at Grant Field. Finally, with the "GT" on the headgear, Tech ended the season with the big 35-18 win over uga in Athens.

Just watched Auburn beat the brains out of Purdue. Is this the worse bowl season ever? Not any good games, just a bunch of mismatches. Is this just another sign that college football is losing its competitiveness/parity. The talent gaps between teams/conferences seems bigger than ever in the modern era.

Just watched Auburn beat the brains out of Purdue. Is this the worse bowl season ever? Not any good games, just a bunch of mismatches. Is this just another sign that college football is losing its competitiveness/parity. The talent gaps between teams/conferences seems bigger than ever in the modern era.

You think college football ever had parity? That’s weird, yo.

I think it's more a sign that the players themselves are increasingly aware of how pointless these bowl games besides the playoff ones are. It's also why NFL prospects skipping the bowl game is becoming more common.

I think it's more a sign that the players themselves are increasingly aware of how pointless these bowl games besides the playoff ones are. It's also why NFL prospects skipping the bowl game is becoming more common.
I think it’s both of these.

This

All CFB is pointless. It’s always been the size of the fight in the dog more than the size of the dog in the fight.

You think college football ever had parity? That’s weird, yo.
Well, relatively, yeah. Sure in the days when Heisman stalked the earth there was great variability in programs but as recruiting regs took hold with schollie limits the field was leveled somewhat. But then big TV money and scientific management of programs has taken hold. If you've got the money and the school allows, you can buy yourself a pretty good team it seems. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

All CFB is pointless. It’s always been the size of the fight in the dog more than the size of the dog in the fight.

In a general sense, sure. But when you have a system where coaches are routinely leaving for other jobs or getting fired before the postseason begins, the pointlessness of it sort of hits you over the head more so in the Skyline Chili Bowl than it does if you're in the playoff. I can't think of another major sport where for the vast majority of teams the postseason carries so little weight in relation to the regular season.

In a general sense, sure. But when you have a system where coaches are routinely leaving for other jobs or getting fired before the postseason begins, the pointlessness of it sort of hits you over the head more so in the Skyline Chili Bowl than it does if you're in the playoff. I can't think of another major sport where for the vast majority of teams the postseason carries so little weight in relation to the regular season.

Skyline Chili ... if only they would sponsor a bowl. Could be the same week as the Tim Horton's Bowl. Skyline three-way, Timbits, your mom, etc....

But yeah, as ramblinwise1 posited, even last night's Alamo Bowl wasn't that good, even for being a close game. It's been a rather blah bowl season.

For most sports, the postseason ends in a loss for all but one team. Only in CFB does the postseason end in a win for half the teams.

Back