Brian Kelly to LSU [Mod Note: Happy 20th Anniversary Notre Dame scumbags]

If true, very much an indictment of the state of CFB and how college presidents and ADs have over monetized amateur athletics. The student athlete means nothing. Not the only example…just the most recent. ND is in the hunt for a playoff birth and apparently he is about to jump ship? College football is totally broken.

Nah it makes perfect sense. The ceiling at LSU is higher than ND.

He's gone to the BCS title game/CFP three seasons in the past decade. I realize he hasn't ever actually won it, but man...it's not easy to get so close, especially in the SEC. If I were him I would've stayed in South Bend.

Maybe part of it is also that he's just ready for a change of scenery? 11 years is pretty long to be in one place.

He's gone to the BCS title game/CFP three seasons in the past decade. I realize he hasn't ever actually won it, but man...it's not easy to get so close, especially in the SEC. If I were him I would've stayed in South Bend.

Maybe part of it is also that he's just ready for a change of scenery? 11 years is pretty long to be in one place.

He's been blown out every time he went. He's looked over at the sidelines of Bama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU and realized he can't compete. It is what it is. There are elite level programs, and like most everyone else ND has been left behind.

Its a good move for him. He's at the ceiling at ND and going to LSU at the near end of Saban's run at Alabama is perfect timing.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

This is a head scratcher, ND was paying him upwards of $7MM per year with the ability to top any offer, and ND was nipping at the CFP pretty much every season for the last 5 or 6 (not scientific, just seems that way).

$7MM per year isn’t all that much. For reference, LSU just paid Orgeron $45MM to retire

$7MM per year isn’t all that much. For reference, LSU just paid Orgeron $45MM to retire

I don't think it's about money. ND has plenty of it and would no doubt be willing to bump him up to prevent his leaving. Without him there is a real chance they fall back into irrelevancy.

By the way, I still think there is a decent chance this is not real. It just genuinely surprises me that he would leave, though I agree with @BioJacket06's post. I guess he is betting on himself in a big way.

If true, very much an indictment of the state of CFB and how college presidents and ADs have over monetized amateur athletics. The student athlete means nothing. Not the only example…just the most recent. ND is in the hunt for a playoff birth and apparently he is about to jump ship? College football is totally broken.
NFL Players were surveyed, which was more important a 5yr Career with culminating with a Super Bowl win or a 15 yr Career with no Super Bowls where you eventually end up in the HoF or under consideration for the Hall.

About 95% of the Players chose the option with no Super Bowl, their logic was if you play 15 yrs at a close to HoF level you probably had multiple "max contracts" for your position and the financial security was worth way more than just a Championship Ring.

It has been this way for a long time, if you gave College Players a choice --- a CFP Championship Ring + a Conference Championship Ring, or getting drafted in the bottom half of the 1st Round (picks 17 to 32), almost 100% will choose getting drafted in the bottom half of the first round and the Money that goes along with it.

Championships are for fans and bragging rights, players and coaches are involved for financial security, and if it comes down to their financial security or a championship for the Fans they will always choose their financial security.

Back