Brown and Ezzard

SIms deep ball isn't so great at this point. Plus, Carter has been money. He creates his own matchup problems with his size. Same for Camp. Also our best receiver is Gibbs.

Opponents have been keying on AB this year since he was the threat last year. Hence, his production is down.

Mostly, not completely, Brown/Ezzard were shut down by Clem's 5* corners.

I looked and Brown has 7 catches and Ezzard has 6. I am personally surprised we have not run more designed plays to get the ball to these guys in space.
Fan confusion why the coaches aren't getting the ball to a quick player "in space" is one of my big pet peeves. "In space" means unguarded.

Getting offensive players into open field, where there's no one there to tackle them or break up a pass, is the goal of every offensive coordinator, and it's really, really hard to do. It requires not just good scheming, but excellent blocking, route running, pass protection, etc.

Put it another way... It is as if you are annoyed the OC hasn't persuaded the other team to leave our fastest and best players alone. The other team is working furiously to prevent our players from being "in space."

While I agree it is a laudable goal, the idea that there are some untapped magic plays that would persuade the other team to leave our fastest and best players alone ("in space"), is not just wrong but kind of silly.

Fan confusion why the coaches aren't getting the ball to a quick player "in space" is one of my big pet peeves. "In space" means unguarded.

Getting offensive players into open field, where there's no one there to tackle them or break up a pass, is the goal of every offensive coordinator, and it's really, really hard to do. It requires not just good scheming, but excellent blocking, route running, pass protection, etc.

Put it another way... It is as if you are annoyed the OC hasn't persuaded the other team to leave our fastest and best players alone. The other team is working furiously to prevent our players from being "in space."

While I agree it is a laudable goal, the idea that there are some untapped magic plays that would persuade the other team to leave our fastest and best players alone ("in space"), is not just wrong but kind of silly.
Agreed, but with a qualifier. Brown's success last year came largely when he got behind the defense, and you are right that they are not allowing that this season. With a player like Gibbs, though, getting him in space often means throwing short passes to him so that he has time to turn upfield before tacklers arrive. If we can get him in 1v1 matchups on the perimeter, he is going to make some defenders look silly.

I hate to use this play as an example, but it's etched in my brain forever as a reminder of a painful night.

I think Jamhyr Gibbs has very similar ability to make people miss and we aren't doing justice to his talent when we fail to provide him with this type of opportunity.

No, "in space" does not mean unguarded.... it means exactly what it says, you want your quick playmaker in an area of the field where he can isolate and win one on one matches against defenders without worrying about other defenders coming in to clean up the play. An example, receivers run clearing routes and Gibbs runs a flat or angle against an isolated defenders (preferably a linebacker). You never heard people talk about Jerome Bettis in space because he was better served to make plays in between the tackles.

No, "in space" does not mean unguarded.... it means exactly what it says, you want your quick playmaker in an area of the field where he can isolate and win one on one matches against defenders without worrying about other defenders coming in to clean up the play. An example, receivers run clearing routes and Gibbs runs a flat or angle against an isolated defenders (preferably a linebacker). You never heard people talk about Jerome Bettis in space because he was better served to make plays in between the tackles.
"in space" meaning one-on-one match up's? Fine – we had plenty of opportunities with those on Saturday. We just couldn't execute them.

I like when football fans talking about "guarding" receivers...who is supposed to be guarding him?... why are we leaving people unguarding? They had three 3 guys guarding Calvin Johnson! Like we're playing basketball or something and certain players just follow the guy they are guarding around the whole game

I like when football fans talking about "guarding" receivers...who is supposed to be guarding him?... why are we leaving people unguarding? They had three 3 guys guarding Calvin Johnson! Like we're playing basketball or something and certain players just follow the guy they are guarding around the whole game
There's a billion variations obvs but man coverage is a real thing

Back