Buddy Geis to coach QB, Wilson to ST's

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Buddy Geis to coach QB, Wilson to ST\'s

Per Football Scoop....

"Georgia Tech: Buddy Guies is new QB, David Wilson Football Ops to Recruiting Coor and Special Teams"

web page

Re: Buddy Geis to coach QB, Wilson to ST\'s

Interesting! Any confirmations? Where has he been coaching. Any bios around? Anyone with information please educate us.

smile.gif

Other than Geis being a Chan crony does anyone have a bio on this guy.

Thanks GTT:
Seems to have some gaps in his work history - that concerns me a little. Maybe someone can fill in the gaps and also let us know what positions he coached at some of the places that don't have that information.

Also, with Wilson taking over recruiting, I have a feeling our OC is Nix - just a guess.

A little more info. Geis was QB coach under CG in '98 and '99, but for some reason still had a year on his contract when Chan was fired. According to this URL (Click here) , Geis apparently stayed with Coach Campo in 2000 as Offensive Nickel Package Coach. He was replaced as QB coach by Wade Wilson in 2000.

Not sure what he has been doing in 2001 or 2002.

Here's a pic of what Mr. Geis looks like -

geis.jpg

From my googling around I get the impression that he's definitely a passing guy (duh!). When he was at Dallas with Chan they instituted the 4 wideout 1 back shotgun offense (although Gailey got tagged by the fans for being too conservative and playing "not to lose."). He seems to be a proponent of that. Interesting that we tried that very thing a little last year. Some of his other titles at GB, Indy, etc. have included "asst" QB coach and his last pos with Dallas was "3rd Down Passing Coach." I'm probably just barking up a tree but I get the impression his "specialty" is the wide open game. If he comes on board I'm predicting something other than 3 runs and pass. (A little concerned that the pass lunacy we displayed last year at times may have come from CG instead of BOB. Lining up in the 4 wides at seemingly inappropriate times, etc.) Other than that it's hard to pin down a bio on the web. One interesting comment by Sterling Sharpe credited him with being one of the "great minds" that influenced him at Green Bay.

You guys and gal have brought out some interesting thoughts.

I don't know how full or correct that bio on him is. Thanks beeware for your link.

Maybe we will have two offensive co's with Coach Gailey being the signal caller.

Sounds to me like after Coach Gailey left Dallas kept their aggrement with Geis's contract, but gave him a lesser roll. Head coaches a lot of times like to bring in their own coaches.

Geis certainly has a lot of experience, but I honestly don't know of his accomplishments. Not a negative. I honestly don't know about his career.
wink.gif

Interesting stuff.

Thanks GTT for the infor and for saying "gals", looks like I might be the only one here. I've often wondered!

If these hirings are true will someone please enlight me with some positives before I start making out my prefer list for a new headcoach in 2004.

stateline you might as well go ahead with your list. Based on your normal posts there is nothign anyone can say to make you feel positive.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
stateline you might as well go ahead with your list. Based on your normal posts there is nothign anyone can say to make you feel positive.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know that was a putdown but I'll let it pass.Of course your remarks indicate it will be hard to place a positive spin on these hirings, again if they are true.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Thanks GTT for the infor and for saying "gals", looks like I might be the only one here. I've often wondered!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTechAnalysis, to my knowledge there are three female posters on StingTalk. Could be others I don't know of. Sure that there are.

There is Krgotech and Juvie along with you.

Krgotech is nothing but trouble though.
wink.gif
Just kidding. She's someone I'm priviledged to call friend.

Haven't seen Juvie on board in some time. There was a post where she was asking advice about moving somewhere. Hope she is well.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know that was a putdown but I'll let it pass.Of course your remarks indicate it will be hard to place a positive spin on these hirings, again if they are true.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not hard at all. I don't know about spin. Honestly there is really only one hire which would be Geis. Coach Wilson has been a part of the staff. He'll just be in different capacity. If you don't think having Coach Wilson on the road recruiting isn't a plus then I don't know what to tell you. You can think what you want. He's been working with Coach Nix with recruiting from day one anyway. I'm really excited about him coaching special teams as well.

Coach Brooks is the other person. He's been around the block a time or two. The man knows about every single football coach in this state in HS. He's been a part of running functions with the GTAA for some time. Great guy. Could sell ice during winter in Alaska. I'm glad his health is doing well. He's perfect fit to run offical visits and handle travel plans for the Team and such.

Geis is an experienced coach who sounds to have a great deal of knowledge in the passing game. He's got a great deal of pro experience coaching. Heard from someone tonight that said he's super teacher and communicator. That's exactly what you want in college. If they've got the work ethic that's the type that are good recruiters as well. It's great to have someone that's worked with Coach Gailey in the past. He's also worked with Robinson which is a plus in my eyes. Having coaches on the same page is so important.

If all this is true with what we're hearing there is actually only one hire. Others are just working in different capacities.

That's my spin. That's from what I know from talking to others and being around the program when I have. I'm not type to sit on a message board to find out info.

Anyway, you can take my spin how you want.
wink.gif

My mistake GTT, been up since 4:30 AM. Obviously I have been very happy since the day O'Leary brought on board Coach Brooks. Heard a lot about him directly from someone who knows High School Football: Bill Chappell of the Dalton Catamounts. Wilsons name did escape me though. My apologies again. But Geis is another deal. I don't understand why Coach Gailey is not choosing a proven OC for this job. Never heard of him and thats hard for me to admit. You maybe right about it being a good decision. But ....I wonder how happy Mr's Ball, Carter, Pena, Bilbo, and Suggs will be. They are the ones that count.

Who is Buddy Geiss?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Someone pointed out that they think he makes jeans, but they could be wrong.
wink.gif

Who is Buddy Geiss?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Buddy Geis was the QB coach at Dallas with Coach Gailey.

Here is some info per gtbee on Hive: "Was at Tulane in late 70's (believe OC)
84-85 - Jacksonville Bulls (USFL)
88-91 - WR coach for Green Bay Packers
93-94 - OC at Duke
95 - OC/QB for Memphis Mad Dogs in Canada
96-97 - Indianapolis Colts
98-99 - Dallas with Chan as QB coach
I believe he is 56 years young
Don't know where he's been since the Dallas job."

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
My mistake GTT, been up since 4:30 AM. Obviously I have been very happy since the day O'Leary brought on board Coach Brooks. Heard a lot about him directly from someone who knows High School Football: Bill Chappell of the Dalton Catamounts. Wilsons name did escape me though. My apologies again. But Geis is another deal. I don't understand why Coach Gailey is not choosing a proven OC for this job. Never heard of him and thats hard for me to admit. You maybe right about it being a good decision. But ....I wonder how happy Mr's Ball, Carter, Pena, Bilbo, and Suggs will be. They are the ones that count.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline it's cool! Nix will be coaching those QBs if this all goes down like has been speculated. You make great point on the QB. Have high regard for Nix. Think he's real deal. The qb is huge key. Always is.

Big Buck likes firey coaches. He'll have one coaching QBs in Nix.

Terrif, it seems by your history of this guy's employment that he has been unemployed for the last three years, correct me if I am wrong.

stateline,sorry about the shot, it was late and I couldn't resist.

The positives I see are 1) Chan has somebody who he is on the same page with. We won't have to wonder about who is running the show next year, win or lose. 2) It looks like we will have a QB coach which most have been calling for. 3) Wilson will have a more active role with the team. 4) Brooks stays with the program. There had been some speculation last year about him stepping down. 5) We have another coach with solid pro credentials to teach our skill position players. Assuming Geis takes WR, he has worked with some good ones over the years. He has also worked with some good QBs and can help Nix get the young kids ready to play.

Is it as exciting as hiring somebody that everyone has heard of? No. But then again, the names that kept coming up are guys who are now HC and who run things their way. To me, they were guys that major college teams should be considering as future HCs not OCs.

Back