Can anyone else see J Smith lining up @ tailback?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Gailey has said publically, several times, that "we need to get the ball in Smith's hands as much as possible". Coach G had some hope with Sampson &, to a lesser extint, Daniels, having real good Springs, but then we lost Sampson, unexpectedly, & Hollings for sure. I believe that the depleted RB position will make the move of Smith an intriguing possiblity. With his QB play & running out of the backfield in the last few games, Smith gained valuable RB time on O.
Further, with Curry returning to form, Logan getting better, Thomas' potential, Bridges' speed & a big McGuire, the need of Smith @ WR is lessened. Besides, in a fullback set, the RB could swing out while the FB blocked.
I know they're planning end arounds & some options with Smith the pitch man anyway, so why not line him up in the backfield on 1st & 2nd downs & split him out on 3rd down? Smith certainly would add that speed we desperately need from the RB position. Maybe 1 series @ RB & the next @ WR, with Daniels getting some RB time. The more I think about it, the more I like it & the more I think we'll see it this Fall.

Ace.. would be surprised to see J. Smith at tailback.. plays from our past offense would suit him well...

One of my favorite Ralph plays was when he would put Dez White in motion and then run an option & pitch it to him... Would love to see Smith used on a play like that, but alas.. it is no longer in the playbook... Also the play where the WR went in motion & the QB would take the snap & quick handoff to the motion man... ahhh the good ol' days...

Upwiththewhiteandgold says that 'u can bank on' seeing IP Harris @ RB in Aug. That's also intriguing. Harris won't add size, but will add desperately needed speed to the O.

Beebad, you just brought back so many memories of the play with Dez and Kelly Campbell going in motion, getting the handoff, and going around end for 6. Johnathan Smith is a tremendous athlete. We even lined him up at QB in Athens. He is tremendous player who needs to get the ball a lot this season.

But about that play Beebad referred to, that is my favorite play the Jackets have run. Oh boy, where is ralph Friedgen when you need him? He's using that play to beat us. Chan needs to do something other than handoff and run between the tackles. Run some option and draws with DBo. Run J. Smith some and maybe give him a play with a run/pass option. Run some reverses and some misdirection. Look like you wanna win Chan! I'd love to see that play run again.

Honestly feel we'll see him in a lot of positions.

With that being said still think we'll have more of an identity. That doesn't mean we'll just pound the ball or be a drop back passing team. Look for us to have a "bread and butter" and build from that with "Freddie" being very much a big time key.

Go Jackets!

As talented as Fred is I don't see an overhaul of the offense to make him a featured back. JS is a wideout threat and that has been his m/o from the go. I think the rumours that other guys will be given the chance to run the ball while leaving JS and others to run around the secondary is more than likely. As much as I love Freddie, if we abandon our offense to try and capitilize on him we've breached our competence. The offense can be effectively structured around Freddie but we're talking about the passing offense that plays off of the run.

I would be surprised to see the most promising receiver at running back.

I think the new freshman will get a very good chance, and I would not be suprised if either Landry or Houston got a chance if we needed them.

smile.gif

I agree with gnats and ahsoisee. He'll be a R and utilized there first. How the team comes together with base offense will be step number one. Truely believe this offense will grow. People talk about past offenses a lot on this board, but they never grew until they first did something exceptionally well first.

I look for us to have more "bread and butter" and make people stop it. Once we execute then we'll adding to the base. No telling where Fred will line up as the season goes along.

Go Jackets!

I certainly hope he doesn't line up at TB. He probably wouldn't survive that kind of pounding. I'd rather see us use him in the speed offense like others have suggested, sweeps, reverses, flanker screens, maybe some option QB from last year.

On second thought... wouldn't be surprised to see Chan put Smith at RB and if it works run him into the ground like he did Hollings (36 times vs BYU) .. and blow his knee out... The most exciting player we've had at RB in years & gailey ruins the kid's career...
and you guys wonder why I can't stand gailey?

BeeBad, that's about as stupid a comment as you've made yet. We thrashed this out last year I thought, with a number of people with knowledge and first hand experience of knee injuries describing the causes of the type of injury Tony suffered. If he had not been in the game at the time he went down he wouldn't have been hurt. DUHHH!!! There is no evidence that fatigue played a part, and if his knee was already injured, as some have said, Tony covered that up. He passed a sideline test by the medical staff on range of motion, strength and claimed he had no pain. It was a freak thing, where he was trying to cut one way and his body weight was going the other. It's unfortunate but that's football. Why is it people who don't like Chan blame him for Tony's injury but nobody is worried about Ace's ankle? or Nat's shoulder? or Phillip's knee? Injuries happen. The only way to avoid them is to not play.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
On second thought... wouldn't be surprised to see Chan put Smith at RB and if it works run him into the ground like he did Hollings (36 times vs BYU) .. and blow his knee out... The most exciting player we've had at RB in years & gailey ruins the kid's career...
and you guys wonder why I can't stand gailey?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yeah, instead we should have had hollings as safety buried under the depth chart under o'leary.

good lord .. some people here are absolute &lt;bleep&gt;

NC..

Answer me this: If fatigue doesn't play a part in injures... then why are the Braves pitchers on strict pitch counts? A 30-year old man can't throw more than 100 pitches? I threw 150+ in a game in high school.. nice case of tendinitis shortly thereafter... Football knees take less pounding than pitchers' arms? I don't think so.. Maddux gets yanked at about the 100 pitch mark, Milwood used to go to about 125... What is important is that before you know for sure where an individual's fatigue level is you err on the conservative side...

How often do you see a scatback type back like Hollings run 36 times in a pro game?

What quality coaches/managers do is over a period of time they determine what is the correct load for a player.. They work their load up gradually, they don't go from a player averaging 22 in his first few games & then all of a sudden run him 36 times... An appropriate load for a back in his first 4-5 games would've been in the mid to high twenties max... not 36 for crissakes... If this was a game later in the year & he had worked up to it I'd say no prob... He hadn't..

I'd like to know how many of you FOCers actually played sports... (Throwing darts in a bar doesn't count)

BeeBad, I'm not sure what insult you're talking about. I said your comment was stupid. I make stupid comments myself from time to time. I didn't say you were stupid.

Fatigue plays into SOME injuries. Sore arms, etc can come from overuse for example. The kind of injury Tony had could have just as easily have come on his first carry of the day. It was not a repetitious type of injury or a load injury, it was caused by twisting the knee.

Bottom line: Fatigue and lack of flexibility to play a major role and injuries. You're talking to someone who has had his ACL surgically repaired in the knee. I also have spent many hour sreading books on athletic training so the dispute should be stopped here.

The fact is, Gailey overran Touchdown Tony in the BYU game. I believe it was 189 yards on 36 carries(not sure). 36 carries! Gailey made a mistake, and if he runs anybody 30+ times this year, he is an idiot. Nobody should be run 36 times in a game, not Magahee or Clarett or especially someone who had already tweaked something in their knee in the 3rd quarter. I think we know who I am talking about. That person would be #24 Tony Hollings.

NC.. edited last post.. you were too quick, tho..

Fatigue is always a concern with ligament & tendon injuries... they stabilize the joint.. they are all different sizes... they fatigue in varying degrees... when some are fatigued more than others it creates an imbalance... RIP...

ahso.. to keep a sensible dialogue going, address the meat of my post... you take a totally unrelated short quip at the end and turn it into a whole new topic... I don't have the desire to turn down your off ramp at this time..

BeeBad, I did not include any more than I did because I was not particularly interested in your post.

If you want, I will respond to the post.

Does fatigue play a part in injuries? Yes, absolutely.

A thirty year old man can't throw more than 100 pitches. False. It depends on the strength and stamina of the 30 year old man.

Yes, football knees take a pounding, but the real item in fatigue is the ability of the muscle to control the motion, stress, and direction of the muscles. If a muscle is tired, it is not strong enough to keep a joint bound within its regular limits.

If a muscle is tired, it does not have energy and strength to control its functions as well as a revitalized muscle.

It is imperative that a coach know the limits of each of his players as far as fatigue is concerned. Each player has his own rate of metabolism and thus tires at different rates.

I have often used this illustration. Let your top weight lifter on the bench press do as many repetitions as he can. Then ask him to immediately do some more. He either cannot do any more reps or is severely limited in his reps the second time.

Take your second best man and immediately get him to do as many reps as he can. Between the two, they are much more effective and can lift many more reps than one can.

That is the reason substitution and keeping fresh players in the game is much more important than playing your best player most of the game.

wink.gif

ahso.. we agree on something, I'm gonna frame your last post.. lol

Gives me an idea for a topic which will be up later... Stay tuned...

My comment has nothing to do with playing time. It is simply a fact that the injury Tony suffered could be caused by stepping off a curb. There is no way to say what caused it, it's one of those unfortunate things that happen in sports.

Back