Can ESPN Survive?

4BfTiHR.gif
Nobody likes salting the snail.

ESPN $5.6b Debacle: Football Semifinal Ratings down 32% from 2014

The low ratings occurred despite the fact that ESPN could not have asked for a luckier draw, as the two games featured the best three fan bases in all of college football (1, Alabama, 2, Ohio State and 3, Clemson) and one of the two biggest fan bases from the west in Washington, according to USA Today’s rankings. Geographically the 32% drop is from an apples-to-apples comparison, as the 2014 playoffs featured the same best two fan bases (Alabama and Ohio State), subbed the other top western fan base (Oregon) and also had the ACC champ (Florida State in 2014 compared to Clemson this year).

They need to find a way to include streaming into their viewership metrics. And going to Brietbart for sports news is like going to ESPN for nuanced and insightful political commentary.

They need to find a way to include streaming into their viewership metrics. And going to Brietbart for sports news is like going to ESPN for nuanced and insightful political commentary.

Or going to Brietbart for nuanced and insightful political commentary......amirite?

Evidence is mounting that the playoff was a huge mistake. Yuge. I'm worried that folks are going to NFL it and think "oh well we just don't have enough teams in the playoff".

ESPN has been absolutely terrible at monetizing their online presence. I STILL get dead air time, "ESPN - Commercial Break" messages on online feeds... it's basically burning ad revenue. It's been like that for as long as I can remember (~2009). The incompetence with which they've moved into mobile consumption generation has been astounding.

Sling, DTV Now, etc., are all eating ESPN's lunch because the new delivery models are proving to work and have no breathing room for ESPN's inflated per-sub fees. They've waited too long to roll out their own subscription model - really, the only think they can do now is try to launch an all-access online package, but consumers are already tired of paying for a ton of content they don't watch, and the CBS-SEC/NBC-ND contracts prevent them from offering a comprehensive CFB package.

Evidence is mounting that the playoff was a huge mistake. Yuge. I'm worried that folks are going to NFL it and think "oh well we just don't have enough teams in the playoff".

ESPN has been absolutely terrible at monetizing their online presence. I STILL get dead air time, "ESPN - Commercial Break" messages on online feeds... it's basically burning ad revenue. It's been like that for as long as I can remember (~2009). The incompetence with which they've moved into mobile consumption generation has been astounding.

Sling, DTV Now, etc., are all eating ESPN's lunch because the new delivery models are proving to work and have no breathing room for ESPN's inflated per-sub fees. They've waited too long to roll out their own subscription model - really, the only think they can do now is try to launch an all-access online package, but consumers are already tired of paying for a ton of content they don't watch, and the CBS-SEC/NBC-ND contracts prevent them from offering a comprehensive CFB package.
Aren't they owned by "the Mouse"? It's not like that outfit to run things so poorly.

Clemson/Alabama is going to have lower ratings than some of the NFL playoff games over the weekend.

Too many commercials. Too many TV timeouts. Too much BAMA. Too much espn talking experts. Boring games. No Notre Dame. A rigged system. Pick any of the above or add your own.

they should have the playoff couple days after Christmas then the championship a couple days after New Years, IMO

Anecdotal--I watched neither playoff game because I had obligations. Wish they'd been on New Year's Day

Back