Can we talk about Miami's fumble at the end of the game?

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
I was talking with a friend at church yesterday and the issue of the fumble came up. He wasn't sure it was out before the RB's elbow hit the ground. My response was: What constitutes "control" in that case? Do you really have control of the ball if the defender's hand is inside your cradle? What would prove you have control? I would say when he pulls his hand loose, the ball stays in your cradle. So, here's my question, since the ball came loose when Moala pulled his hand out, can we say the RB actually had control of the ball? Thoughts?

Well, I think the only issue is when he lost control. If his elbow was on the ground before or after that moment.

If the ball shifted even a little in his hand, then he didn’t have control since the ball popped out. It looked like it was impossible to see the ball in his hand at the moment his elbow hit the ground. Since you couldn’t see it, they had to let the play stand as called and it is likely the fairest ruling.

there were a couple of calls that went their way. This wasn’t an egregious call by any means. They lost when they offended the football gods by running it. I don’t even listen to clowns who wanna talk about whether he was down or not.

I think he was almost certainly down. The keyword though is "almost" which implies a *very* small shred of uncertainty based upon the replay video, thus the call on the field has to stand. I'm not thrilled with how replay works here (even though it was in our benefit) but Miami has no beef other than the call on the field. The replay had to let it stand because the moment he lost control was obscured from video.

there were a couple of calls that went their way. This wasn’t an egregious call by any means. They lost when they offended the football gods by running it. I don’t even listen to clowns who wanna talk about whether he was down or not.

Miami's coaching staff voluntarily chose to introduce points of failure into a operating procedure that should have had none (ok, I guess you could still botch a kneel down snap exchange)....everything that happened from even the 2nd down run play before the fumble after we used our last TO is on Cristobal's hands, including judgment calls by the officials. The fact that it may not have even been a "confirmed" fumble makes it sweeter, and if that makes it even harder for Canes fans to swallow then they can choke on it.

I don't care!! Refs called it a fumble. Reviewed it. Call stands. We won!

How many times have we, as GT Football Fans, had our hearts ripped out, because calls or similar situations like this went against us? ... Too many times to count! Right, wrong or indifferent, this one went our way for a change. We then took care of business, scored a TD, withstood the razzle-dazzle and came away with a Victory.

I hate it for UM (Not really!), but I love it for us.

I'm glad to be "lucky" for a change! It's about time! I hope our "luck" holds out for years to come!

Miami's coaching staff voluntarily chose to introduce points of failure into a operating procedure that should have had none (ok, I guess you could still botch a kneel down snap exchange)....everything that happened from even the 2nd down run play before the fumble after we used our last TO is on Cristobal's hands, including judgment calls by the officials. The fact that it may not have even been a "confirmed" fumble makes it sweeter, and if that makes it even harder for Canes fans to swallow then they can choke on it.
I watched the TV replay this morning and I noticed the sideline camera camera kept showing on the Miami sideline one of the offensive coaches. He had on a red shirt a round face with dimples and lots of curly hair. He looked like the kind of idiot who would have the running back running at the end to get his yardage as opposed to taking a knee.

This wasn’t a blatantly right or wrong call. This was the classic call on the field stands replay. Not a single angle suggested it wasn’t a fumble. But some of the angles leaned that this was probably a fumble. If it wasn’t called a fumble, it likewise wouldn’t have been overturned. But Miami could have not run the ball or stopped the 74 yard no timeouts remaining drive.

My daughter texted me and said that the call deserved to stand to pay Miami back for being so monumentally stupid

80% likelihood he was down, no indisputable angles. You can see the laces moving before the elbow was down, but that was likely just bracing for the fall and what allowed Moala to rip it out. Moala's rip was after the elbow was down which all but means that he had possession at the point he was down, but with no clear camera angle... call stands.

Refs make calls. Sometimes you don't like them. In 2008, Cooper Taylor got a BS helmet to helmet call that helped VT win. One of TWO 15 Yard PF's on that ONE drive in the 4th to help put VT in FG range to win. I still haven't gotten over it. Still pissed. BS call.

Looked like a fumble to me.

And then there is the “prevent defense” that Miami went into despite having been largely successful, stopping us an office for most of the night.

Their coaches made some poor decisions. That’s for sure.

Looked like a fumble to me.

And then there is the “prevent defense” that Miami went into despite having been largely successful, stopping us an office for most of the night.

Their coaches made some poor decisions. That’s for sure.
it makes some sense really. .they had to assume our only hope was to get a quick near the sidelines pass and go for the field goal

I think he was almost certainly down. The keyword though is "almost" which implies a *very* small shred of uncertainty based upon the replay video, thus the call on the field has to stand. I'm not thrilled with how replay works here (even though it was in our benefit) but Miami has no beef other than the call on the field. The replay had to let it stand because the moment he lost control was obscured from video.

I noticed how our player was standing right in front of the official showing him the football right before he made the call. I wonder if that had any influence. Sometimes, I think officials let a call be influenced by stuff like that, thinking it will be corrected by the review process if it is incorrect. But, often the review process doesn't have the evidence to correct or verify the call. At any rate, all I care about is whether reviews help Tech.

I noticed how our player was standing right in front of the official showing him the football right before he made the call. I wonder if that had any influence. Sometimes, I think officials let a call be influenced by stuff like that, thinking it will be corrected by the review process if it is incorrect. But, often the review process doesn't have the evidence to correct or verify the call. At any rate, all I care about is whether reviews help Tech.
My old soccer coach taught us to always assume any ball out of bounds is ours just get it and throw it in half the time the refs won't even question it

Back