Can we talk about Miami's fumble at the end of the game?

I noticed how our player was standing right in front of the official showing him the football right before he made the call. I wonder if that had any influence. Sometimes, I think officials let a call be influenced by stuff like that, thinking it will be corrected by the review process if it is incorrect. But, often the review process doesn't have the evidence to correct or verify the call. At any rate, all I care about is whether reviews help Tech.

The ref had already awarded us possession when Kennard ran up to him to show the ball. In fact I’ve watched it a handful of times and I’m convinced Kennard lost track of the direction in the commotion and thought the official was signaling Miami ball until he told him verbally.

My old soccer coach taught us to always assume any ball out of bounds is ours just get it and throw it in half the time the refs won't even question it

As a ref I admittedly wait a beat if I’m unsure if the direction to see if the players work it out themselves. But if I notice a team consistently trying to work me then I’m not as likely to give them the 50/50s. Throw ins are pretty meaningless anyway though as possession following them tends to be a toss up.

I think he was almost certainly down. The keyword though is "almost" which implies a *very* small shred of uncertainty based upon the replay video, thus the call on the field has to stand. I'm not thrilled with how replay works here (even though it was in our benefit) but Miami has no beef other than the call on the field. The replay had to let it stand because the moment he lost control was obscured from video.

Yeah this is where I’m at and am amazed at the number of people (not just Miami fans) that still haven’t grasped the concept of “indisputable.” Kind of hilarious that Miami’s black jerseys are probably what cost them that call.

oh stop. Ref right there in line with play alongside the sideline ref. Ball out is right of his head in this image. Ball was in runners right arm not ground arm in the strip sequence.
1696910170390.png

oh stop. Ref right there in line with play alongside the sideline ref. Ball out is right of his head in this image. Ball was in runners right arm not ground arm in the strip sequence.
1696910170390.png
What is this proof of? I think his left elbow may have been down because it looked like the ripping motion started after the elbow hit the ground. But there was no clear video of the ball at that moment. You see it a split second later after the rip. So play has to stand. I think either way, called fumble or not, replay wouldn't have overturned it.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

What is this proof of? I think his left elbow may have been down because it looked like the ripping motion started after the elbow hit the ground. But there was no clear video of the ball at that moment. You see it a split second later after the rip. So play has to stand. I think either way, called fumble or not, replay wouldn't have overturned it.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
it wasn't a gift we took the ball away much like the other turnovers that night. The gift was the arrogant Canes running the ball instead of taking the knee. we took the game away from them after that blunder.
The pic is proof multiple refs saw the play better than you, the film or I did.

For the folks that think the elbow was down before the ball came loose because you see the elbow down then rip come next, conisder this--Efford is tackling him at the same time and has a hand in the cradle with the ball also. It very well could be moving/out before the rip. That's why there is no "indisputable" evidence. We can see the elbow touch, and we can see the rip by Moala, but you can't see the ball position prior to that.

For the folks that think the elbow was down before the ball came loose because you see the elbow down then rip come next, conisder this--Efford is tackling him at the same time and has a hand in the cradle with the ball also. It very well could be moving/out before the rip. That's why there is no "indisputable" evidence. We can see the elbow touch, and we can see the rip by Moala, but you can't see the ball position prior to that.

Yep, did he rip because he felt movement? No way to know. We are lucky the play was ruled a fumble on the field.

In Miami at night and the refs were paid off and they ruled in our favor. That's all you need to know. But yeah, it was a fumble and it was the correct call.

Yep, did he rip because he felt movement? No way to know. We are lucky the play was ruled a fumble on the field.
Great teams are almost always lucky!

I'm not saying we're great, because we're not, but being lucky can sure be a big boost for the team and fanbase psyche!!

I'll take all the "luck" we can get!! Dodd's Luck was a real thing during those heyday years of GT Football.

I cannot stop clicking on that video of the TD toss to Leary. It was just a thing of beauty. I keep going back to it to watch over and over. What a moment! I'm sure it will wear off like the blocked FG for TD against FSU back in 2015. But we have a new video in our pantheon of sweet plays to look at now for years to come.

Call on the field was a fumble. You watch the replay, I can see how you'd say he was down. But it wasn't indisputable. Call stands. Exactly as called. Textbook.

I think there’s a difference between loose and not controlled. I don’t know that it’s loose in your picture but it’s pretty clearly not controlled.
If he loses possession (control) on the way down it remains a live ball until a player controls it and is ruled down. Which is how the official a few yards away ruled it.

Back