Carol needs to go!!!--- nfm.

Why? Why should Carol go? Why should we fire the AD? Why should we fire the coach? Why????? I don't get it!! When I was in college many years ago, it was MY responsibility to study and work. It was my responsibility to get up and go to class. It was NOT anyone elses responsibility. I worked 2 jobs and took a full course load and was very active at a local church. Did I do as well as I could in college ? NOPE, Was it my fault? YEP I graduated with a 3.0....but could have done better.
These college students are old enough to join the military service. Do you really think that the army will follow people around to make sure they are up on time ? NOPE , it is your responsibility. They are old enough to vote. They are adults!!!!
Why is it that some of the players able to maintain a 4.0 GPA.... and others obviously don't care enough to actually study. Why should we not bee mad at the student athletes? It seems the consensus of the board is that someone should bee fired and there are many debates on who it should be.... Why should it bee anyone? I am disappointed that these students are not held MORE ACCOUNTABLE. To bee quite honest with you, this should embarrass these students so much that they make sure that their grades are up to bee sure they can play next season.
Please bash away, I am sure it is coming. Let's look at the real root of the problem, the lack of committment by the players that did not make the grade....
I live over 6 hours away from GT but will bee there as much as possible in the fall!!!! GOOOO JACKETS!!!!

and krg do you want a competitive div.1 team or a clup level or intramural team? YOU CAN'T HAVE A GOOD TEAM WITHOUT THAT KIND OF HELP!!!!!!! If you think so and things don't change you WANT HAVE ANYTHING TO CHEER FOR.

Krgotech, you do pretty well when you post. Post more often.

wink.gif

Ahs. most top program's fb players need to be wathed over by some people that CARE about their football won-lost record!! There are not enough guality students who just happen to be very good players to go around! If we don't accept some borderline sas and give them all the help and push then our team will compete with Navy, Army, and Colgate and the like. Believe me that will happen.

Originally posted by Krgotech:
Why? Why should Carol go? Why should we fire the AD? Why should we fire the coach? Why????? I don't get it!! When I was in college many years ago, it was MY responsibility to study and work. It was my responsibility to get up and go to class. It was NOT anyone elses responsibility. I worked 2 jobs and took a full course load and was very active at a local church. Did I do as well as I could in college ? NOPE, Was it my fault? YEP I graduated with a 3.0....but could have done better.
These college students are old enough to join the military service. Do you really think that the army will follow people around to make sure they are up on time ? NOPE , it is your responsibility. They are old enough to vote. They are adults!!!!
Why is it that some of the players able to maintain a 4.0 GPA.... and others obviously don't care enough to actually study. Why should we not bee mad at the student athletes? It seems the consensus of the board is that someone should bee fired and there are many debates on who it should be.... Why should it bee anyone? I am disappointed that these students are not held MORE ACCOUNTABLE. To bee quite honest with you, this should embarrass these students so much that they make sure that their grades are up to bee sure they can play next season.
Please bash away, I am sure it is coming. Let's look at the real root of the problem, the lack of committment by the players that did not make the grade....
I live over 6 hours away from GT but will bee there as much as possible in the fall!!!! GOOOO JACKETS!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't have nearly enough information to feel anyone should be fired out of this. I completely agree with you Krgotech.

Everyone likes to point fingers when things don't go well. That's easy and anyone can do it.

What happened is student athletes didn't make the grade for whatever reason. This is a team sport. While I'm not happy with those who will not be with us come fall, I'm proud of those who are getting it done in class. Those will be the ones that will play as a team to win this fall.

The pudding is on the field and not in the media or this board and others.

There are so many SAs that put forth a great deal of hard work wanting to win very badly. That includes taking care of responsibilities off the field.

I expect some of these "out" to try and come back next Spring. Hope they'll be better because of what's happened.

People have two choices. They can make situations as stepping stones or stumbling blocks. It's their choice.

Krgotech, If you ever need a ticket to a GT Football game, I'll always have one for you and a friend. Glad you're on the side of the White and Gold.

GTT, my friend take your glasses off. If we accept this situation with apathy the program will drown in it's own complacency!

It's obvious to me that we went to 4 pretty good bowls with GOL working HARD against Moore and her snobbery dept. Now I wasn't a great fan of George, but he understood the type of sa it took to do that. If we don't get back to that we are doomed to not even mediocrity!!

Why does it matter? Cause Hollings and Hargrove can run like deer and were two of the best football players we had.

They were admitted to Tech. Signed with Tech over others.

This "go get it and show up on game day" is evidenced not just in study hall, but in our off-season workouts as well. Example: a famous tackle who went from one of the best lineman in the country under previous regime to overweight, out of shape and flounder about under our current strength coach and Dookie.

Techrod, I have no problem with the school taking a few borderline cases. I have no problem with the school having the best tutoring system in the nation. I have no problem with the administration changing the present system to correct the deficiencies we now see.

I do see where expanding the recruiting area to get a larger base of academic qualifiers, along with the correction of the tutoring deficiencies, should help alleviate this problem.

I don't think you can compare the academic situation now with the academic situation existing when O'Leary was here. It was changed as soon as O'Leary left and before the new coach was brought in.

Gailey had two choices. He could say no and not accept the job, or he could say yes and accept the job with the new restrictions. To compare O'Leary's situation with Gailey's, as far as the academic system is concerned, is to compare apples to oranges. It is not fair.

It is obvious there are some who never wanted Gailey from day one and are using this opportunity, and possibly an unfair situation from last season, to promote the "Fire Gailey" stigma.

I will remain fair and voice my support for him to be given the same chances O'Leary had to succeed.

I am not against anyone being held responsible for their failures in their jobs, but I am for fair play and equal justice.

Hope this helps you understand where I am coming from.

smile.gif

Not so fast with the apples / oranges thing again. There is another plausible explanation which you fail to mention.

This new Braine-scheme, where the chain of command was basically full of holes, lies partially at his feet. Also bearing responsibility is Gailey. Gailey's head coaching experience was from Troy State, who the last time anyone looked would take anyone from convicts to drop-outs. Might it be the man just did not have the INTELLIGENCE OR SKILL to proactively think through what kind of system is needed to nourish the academic progress of the team. Or, not even enough management wherewithall to ask questions and put the right people in place?

You are quick to assume it is an organizational breakdown, which in part may be true, but also may be a CAPABILITY issue.

A million dollar a year sits pretty high up on the management ladder, and not many are willing to think of him as a poor victim in all this.

Ahs, it does help. First off I was excited about Chan getting the nod. Now I am on fence leaning his way. I DON'T blame him for this mess. But this has got to change back as to the way it was when GOL was in charge. If not then forget about any future good teams! I am not sure as to what exactly took place, but I feel the snobs in the academia circles whether it be Moore, Clod, or the alumni(non sports fans) was given too much power. The new 80-60-40 rule or whatever the freaken numbers may also be to blame! This new formula ruled on by the ncaa is not at all to our advantage, and Tech needs to cicumnavigate around that the best way we can- even if it means stepping on some toes till it hurts! Until then lookout below. With the expansion to be paid for, expansion in teams, a divided alumni spell financial ruin for the AD. Not mention horrible records!

Father Wasp, again you throw around information that has no fact behind it.

How do you know Troy State takes anyone from convicts to drop-outs? Do you have any proof of this? Do you know what kind of system Troy State has to monitor its academic system, or are you talking through your hat again?

How do you know whether Gailey has the intelligence or skill to proactively think through what kind of system is needed to nourish the academic progress of the team? Do you have access to his academic or intellectual prowess or academic records? Are you just blowing smoke again?

What difference would it make anyway if he were removed by Braine from any kind of monitoring or control over the matter?

How do you know what management wherewithal he possesses to ask questions and put the right people in place? Again, do you have records or tests on his abilities? And, again, what difference does it make if he is not allowed to set all of this up?

You must be assuming he is not capable of this sent you inserted that remark. If you think he is incapable, do you have any facts or records you can post to prove your point?

Or, are you just blowing smoke again?

How do you know the chain of command stated by Braine is full of holes? How do you know Gailey is partly responsible if the administration states he was left out of the chain on purpose? Get your facts together from the school, not from any rumor.

I will admit I don't know beans about the present or past process. All I know is what is stated by the administration and unsubstantiated rumors from the board. But, you don't have any facts on the process either.

Go to Tech, sit down with Moore and let her tell you and show you the full system and all of its functions. Get the detail and post it on the board. I don't really care about your opinions as fact. They are nothing more than your opinions.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You get farther and farther out each time - now comparing the academics at Troy State to Georgia Tech.

All of your questions can be answered with results - we just lost 10 players in one period. That speaks volumns about management skills.

Father Wasp, uh, sorry, who brought up Troy State and its academics?

Losing 10 players may speak volumes, but about what?

Was it Gailey's fault?
Was it Braine's fault?
Was it Clough's fault?
Was it Moore's fault?
Was it the student athlete's fault?
Was it all of the above?

I don't think anyone has successfully answered that question at this time.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Kroger(sic), I have never read anything quite like your post. I can't tell if you are anti Tech, or just naieve.

I will gander a guess here that no more than 25% of the entire squad could make it through without serious help. I will go further and guess that 90% of those that actually contribute on Saturdays could not play after their freshman year without help that was promised to them and their parents prior to signing with Tech out of high school.

You made it through.... fantastic! You made it through working 6 jobs, even better. That is not the point. Athletic scholorship students are just different in that they are INVITED to attend Tech. In most of these cases, it is understood that special attention must be made to these guys that will hopefully bring large amounts of revenue that the 3.3 gpa chemical engineer won't.

Simply, it is impossible to compete at the D1 level, at Tech, in football or basketball unless the bulk of the athletes can be hand held through the process. Even with hand holding, most of the guys out there have no chance of getting through. The ones we have are the best ballplayers that have the sense to get through with help.

I really do not understand the resentment non SA's have for our ballplayers. For the most part, (I mean 90%)our football players would not be at Tech if it weren't for their athletic ability. Give them a break and the help they deserve.
Hey Kro, I do not agree with your post, but nice picture of yourself.

Right on target Lucky. Most of those throwing opinions around have no idea how much time a division I football player puts in year-round.

As for Aho, your man Braine has already admitted it was his fault, directly quoted. Gailey in his fumbling attempt pretty much got as close to that as he could.

The real answer to all of those people you raise questions about is not who or how many, but will ANYONE ever face consequences?

Smacks alot like that 51-7 score you refuse to acknowledge, go underground and wait for it to pass.

Father Wasp, There you go assuming again, it fits you perfectly. Have I ever said Braine was my man? No, I have not and you cannot find any place where I have stated such.

I did say he and the committee selected the best coach available at the time given the credentials of the coaches considered. That is still true. Gailey's credentials were very good. So Braine was correct in his choosing of Gailey over the non-existent credentials of Mac.

I know absolutely nothing about Braine, so I have no feelings for his effectiveness one way or the other. I don't have to know him to understand he made the correct selection, based on the facts, between Gailey and Mac.

The facts speak for themselves.

It does not bother me in the least that Braine admitted the tutoring system failure was his fault. That has nothing to do with the merits of his selection between Gailey and Mac as the head coach. It also has nothing to do with me that he admitted it. That is his problem, not mine.

Gailey is not my man. He is the coach of GT and deserves the same fair treatment as any other coach. If he succeeds, he does it on his own. I am for any coach at Tech to succeed because it means Tech is winning. That makes me neutral.

If pulling for a coach to win means that coach is your man, then I am guilty. I have never pulled for one coach at Tech to lose, so I guess each has been my man while they are coaching because I have wanted all of them to win. Anything wrong with this?

You know it makes little difference to my worth as to whether a given person is found guilty or innocent of being the problem with Tech athletics. I have stated that any one or all may be found negligent. That is a true statement. It makes little difference whether I am the one who made the statement or not.

What makes someone have to acknowledge the score of 51-7? It is a fact, who in his right mind could deny a fact? It is also a fact O'Leary went 0-4 against UGA without O'Leary. Do you fail to acknowledge that fact? If you fail to acknowledge that fact, it makes little difference, it is still true.

You will never find me going underground, I will speak the truth no matter what happens. The truth only hurts those who choose to ignore it. It will never hurt me to state the truth.

Back