CBK Postgame Presser

As much as I’m a huge fan of CPJ, I just wish he could go back in time and add some passing wrinkles to his offense. Just like we don’t need to be exclusively shotgun especially on 3rd or 4th and 1 now, CPJ didn’t have to be exclusively under center on 3rd and 19. I believe Johnson’s success at the lower level (GSU) and then at Navy allowed him to dig in on his rigidity. Then he gets to GT with available athletes that are a cut above what he was use to (not Ham or Peterson of course) but he was so dug in by then he couldn’t get comfortable with the diamond or whatever. I wish I could talk to the 30 year old CPJ and implore him to add a couple tweaks. That offense with 4 and 5 stars running it would be unbelievable instead of just very good.

If I were CBK, I would definitely have CPJ as a consultant. That man can design a running play.

I've said on here many times before that just because we don't run the 3-O exclusively doesn't mean it doesn't offer some good situational plays. Maybe modified slightly.

Some of our swing passes are essentially speed pitch plays. Our blockers are getting ahead of it and knocking down the DB's. It is a read play.
If it was good enough for Ralph Friedgen, it should be good enough for Buster Faulkner. :bigthumbup:

As much as I’m a huge fan of CPJ, I just wish he could go back in time and add some passing wrinkles to his offense. Just like we don’t need to be exclusively shotgun especially on 3rd or 4th and 1 now, CPJ didn’t have to be exclusively under center on 3rd and 19. I believe Johnson’s success at the lower level (GSU) and then at Navy allowed him to dig in on his rigidity. Then he gets to GT with available athletes that are a cut above what he was use to (not Ham or Peterson of course) but he was so dug in by then he couldn’t get comfortable with the diamond or whatever. I wish I could talk to the 30 year old CPJ and implore him to add a couple tweaks. That offense with 4 and 5 stars running it would be unbelievable instead of just very good.
You can't say that he didn't try. Back in 2012, he put a few packages in with Vad and that helped us to win the Sun Bowl against USC. However, VAD never got truly comfortable running the base offense that it hindered anything else we tried to do in 2012 and 2013. Once JT took over and run the base offense to perfection, I'm sure it helped seal CPJ's mind for worse or for better.

If I were CBK, I would definitely have CPJ as a consultant. That man can design a running play.

I've said on here many times before that just because we don't run the 3-O exclusively doesn't mean it doesn't offer some good situational plays. Maybe modified slightly.

Some of our swing passes are essentially speed pitch plays. Our blockers are getting ahead of it and knocking down the DB's. It is a read play.

If you watch some of the more dynamic RPO offenses across the Power 5 they run variants of the T-O every so often. I'm with you in that it's a great change of pace offense to take advantage of secondary heavy defenses guarding against the pass. Obviously defenses are giving us that look and we're taking it hence the big QB and RB runs. Keep doing it until they stop it :)

If you watch some of the more dynamic RPO offenses across the Power 5 they run variants of the T-O every so often. I'm with you in that it's a great change of pace offense to take advantage of secondary heavy defenses guarding against the pass. Obviously defenses are giving us that look and we're taking it hence the big QB and RB runs. Keep doing it until they stop it :)
I've never understood why a team, when they run the wildcat, don't have a wildcat triple option play. You put your athletic WR or RB in at QB, have a couple of AB's and a BB, and run it the way God intended.

Most wildcat plays are - snap to the WR or RB in the shotgun. Let him try to pick a lane to run or run outside. Maybe try a pass that looks like a shotput.

I've never understood why a team, when they run the wildcat, don't have a wildcat triple option play. You put your athletic WR or RB in at QB, have a couple of AB's and a BB, and run it the way God intended.

Most wildcat plays are - snap to the WR or RB in the shotgun. Let him try to pick a lane to run or run outside. Maybe try a pass that looks like a shotput.
Requires too much ball handling practice.

I watched KQ's YT of CBK's postgame presser. CBK mentioned CPJ twice and using option elements in the offense.

So, whoever it was that said CPJ must had had a talk with CBK, or given him some advice... I think you were correct! Sounded to me like he confirmed it.

Go Jackets!!
I just watched it again, but I only heard one reference made to CPJ. However, the entire description of the offense sure had hints of CPJ philosophy in it. If CPJ has indeed provided some insight, it sure seemed to have paid off, and I hope that continues.

I took that as just a symbolic passing of transition from one style to the next. I dunno, it didn’t seem offensive to me, any more than Key lining up in something that looked similar on CPJ night.

JRjr
It didn’t seem offensive at the time. But looking back that rat bastard disrespected CPJ over and over. I’ll never forgive the son of a bitch.

It didn’t seem offensive at the time. But looking back that rat bastard disrespected CPJ over and over. I’ll never forgive the son of a bitch.
Don't hold back, BDT! Tell us how you really feel!! :lol:

I took that as just a symbolic passing of transition from one style to the next. I dunno, it didn’t seem offensive to me, any more than Key lining up in something that looked similar on CPJ night.

JRjr
What if I told you that Clown threw a hissy fit over CPJ and team posters celebrating big wins put up by hotel staff throughout the team hotel? He had his staff go around and specifically take those from that era down.

Now, how do you interpret that low class move to start the spring game? Pretty glaring difference now, eh?

dont-get-it-oh-brother-where-art-thou.gif

We ran some shotgun with Tevin in obvious passing downs too. Not a lot. But some.
30 year old PJ was at Hawaii doing fun things with their offense.
Don't recall much if any gun with Tracy in 85 or 86. But with Tracy, you didn't need it. He threw for 400 plus in Southern's first championship and then for 306 in their second (also ran for 180 that day). So it was there.

lol, we've got a warehouse or two full of "money downs" to last a good long time.

I might could make a call or two, get a guy who knows something about burning stuff up for insurance purposes.
Just sayin.

I've found that if you continuously pound it up the middle over an over, you can then catch them off guard and open up the hole on the backside.
Are you trying to soften up the D?

Back